Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier? Empty
PostSubject: Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier?   Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Seems like stock tire varies from van to van based on model/year, but 205/75-15 seems common. Anyone fitted anything larger than that in the underside carrier? The spare that came with my van is pretty old and if I replace it, I'd like to fit something larger, if possible. I know my current 235/75-15s won't fit (found that out the hard way) Razz
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier?   Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 6:07 am

Keep an eye on the load rating of anything you get, these vans are rather heavy when fitted with all our extras!
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier?   Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 9:13 pm

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has experience storing a larger diameter tire (and how large) in the carrier, or modifying the carrier to fit a larger tire.
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier?   Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2021 9:10 am

I've abandoned my spare - so much smaller than my currently fitted wheels (20" 235/70) I figured it was useless. What are your thoughts on a spare that is smaller than the other wheels. I carry Holt's Tyreweld (medium size) but not sure whether that would actually get me out of trouble. My breakdown service specifies that I should have some means to deal with a flat tyre. So far I haven't strayed that far off the beaten track. I wonder whether there is some way to fit a spare to my towbar.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier?   Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 3:37 pm

I think for the part-time 4x4 vans, temporarily running a different sized spare (to get you home or to the tire store) isn't a bad thing, as long as you don't have an LSD. I'm not sure if you are supposed to do this on the full-time 4wd models though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier?   Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Largest spare tire that will fit in the carrier?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: