Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Won't start!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LiamM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 1992 Super custom limited
3L
Registration date : 2017-01-22

Won't start! Empty
PostSubject: Won't start!   Won't start! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 2:24 am

I have a 92' 3L that seemed to be in good running condition until the other day it just wouldn't start. It's been starting great prior to that.

It cranks well. Fuses OK. Battery is still new and has ooomph. It primes and holds prime. I cracked in injector nuts and fuel was oozing out. Does anybody know if it's supposed to be coming out with strong flow? It seems to kinda quickly drip out.

I hear my fuel shutoff solenoid clicking on the injector so seems okay.

Next I tested glow plugs - they are only a couple years old, resistance is good. I was getting a voltage reading as well when trying to start. But then randomly I stopped getting the glow plug symbol and lost power to them. Super weird. I jumped to the glowplugs from the battery to get them hot manually, and sprayed some WD40 into the air intake but still no start.

Really confused at this point on what to do next. Would the ECU have anything to do with this? Maybe compression check - just doesn't seem like I ever had low compression. I'm looking around for air leaks in fuel system. I rebuilt my injectors a last year so I can't see them being much of an issue.

Might have to tow to mechanic No

Help!
Back to top Go down
LiamM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 1992 Super custom limited
3L
Registration date : 2017-01-22

Won't start! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Won't start!   Won't start! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 2:25 am

Also should mention it's been about 8 celcius, and it sat a couple days prior to the first no start.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

Won't start! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Won't start!   Won't start! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 4:37 am

Open up the ECU and check for capacitor leakage on the board (unless it has already been re-capped) as 92 is right in the range of years when bad caps were used in a lot of electronic things.
But if your 3L doesn't have electrical injectors (did any of them?) then the ECU couldn't really affect it, the only two I've seen in the real were purely mechanical.
Sorry I'm probably babbling rubbish here, I don't have enough experience with Toyotas overall.
Back to top Go down
NZ Scotty
NZ Scotty

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Northland, New Zealand
Registration date : 2020-09-06

Won't start! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Won't start!   Won't start! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2021 10:17 am

I had an early problem with my ECU but symptoms were idling/running rough as if on two cylinders, a new (second hand) ECUchip solved this immediately

if she has started/run ok previously, then maybe not compression, as it should still start or at least fire intermittently on crank

i'm unfamiliar with diesels, were you getting voltage to actual spark leads and plugs, and is your diesel old or possibly water/condensation in you fuel tank and lines?

Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

Won't start! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Won't start!   Won't start! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2021 5:03 am

Scotty you sure aren't familiar with diesels!
There are NO spark plugs in a diesel, only glow plugs for cold starting and he's checked those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Won't start! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Won't start!   Won't start! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Won't start!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: