Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

changing headlights. someone please help!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 68
Home City : portland
Registration date : 2018-08-28

changing headlights.  someone please help! Empty
PostSubject: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 2:50 pm

I have a 1993 1rzh hiace and my headlights are so dim I nearly rolled the van last night. bought new bulbs but can't find anything online on how to change.

mine dosent have the screw in the door frame trick.

how on earth do I gain access?!
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 2:57 pm

changing headlights.  someone please help! 20210218
changing headlights.  someone please help! 20210216
changing headlights.  someone please help! 20210217
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 3:23 pm

no screw trick inside door for me, nothing under that cover eitherchanging headlights.  someone please help! 20210225
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 9:06 pm

Haha - the screw is there !

I have the same layout...
But I can't recall where the screw is... but it might be behind the plastic cover. Sorry for my bad memory.

Have a very careful look at the main reflector: is it dull matt? If so, simply order 2 brand new headlamps from your toyota dealer. That's the only cure.
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 9:26 pm

GPW wrote:
Haha - the screw is there !

I have the same layout...
But I can't recall where the screw is... but it might be behind the plastic cover. Sorry for my bad memory.

Have a very careful look at the main reflector: is it dull matt? If so, simply order 2 brand new headlamps from your toyota dealer. That's the only cure.

There isnt anything behind the cover except the door hinge. Had it off already. That bottom plate isnt plastic. Its metal. you can take the bottom screw out, but the top is a fastner and ive spent hours around and under the car trying to figure it out.

finding a fuel leak was easier than this!

Nothing wrong with my glass, its just the bulbs need doing - as they should every 3 years or so.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 10:02 pm

Not the glass, the silver reflector. They get smokey and matt in those lamps. Not sure why.

changing headlights.  someone please help! IMG-20210204-215546755

There's only 1 screw, I think you removed it already. The indicators slid out directly forward. BUT, you'll need to jiggle, with care, because age can cause swelling of the nobbles that clip them in. Easy easy, jiggle, straight forward.
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 10:06 pm

Thats all well and good, but i dont have indicator lights like in the other posts etc. Theyre just one solid light. I cant even find photos of another van that dosent have side indicators that are separate

Are you saying i try to slide that whole glass portion forward?

and what about that fastner thats at the top of the panel mirroring the bottom screw? Surely thats attatched to something no?

changing headlights.  someone please help! 20210229changing headlights.  someone please help! 20210229
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 10:11 pm

ok, so that fastner at the top of the metal panel is attatched to the back of that large side light assembly. if i poke it with a screwdriver the light assembly moves a tiny bit, but it sure as hell aint just wiggling out. That faster is wedged tight.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 10:13 pm

My headlamps and indicators are identical to yours.
The top knob is just a locator. Ignore it.
The difficult clips that need coaxing actually connect with the main headlamp.

Slide it in the direction you drive, straight. Forward. Jiggle and coax, don't force.
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 10:24 pm

its not even moving a touch. not a hair. :/

all im manaing to do here is chip the paint and make squeaking noises
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 10:28 pm

alright! the drivers one came right off with no effort. the passenger one - which is the one ive been trying all day is being a little bitch.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 8:23 am

Sometimes the metal pins rust, swelling, which jams the plastic locating knobs in. Time, and if you can get some WD40 in there, is the only way IME.
But at least from the lamp you freed, you can see how it works.
When I put mine back in, I ground the pin a little smaller so it was possible to remove it again if I needed to. Also use a dab of plumbers silicone grease when refitting, on any metal bit..

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
cjs_surf
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 33
Home City : Dublin
Model and year : 1991 LH119 PT 4WD Hight Top YMC Camper
Registration date : 2009-05-14

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2021 12:03 pm

On my camper there is a dust cover around the front door hinges remove them, they cover a screw holding in the indicators which you can then detach. I know yours is different lights but might be a similar arrangement
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2021 12:50 am

https://youtu.be/rNwBv8pcxkg

Here’s how I took mine out, not the exact type, but similar so hope it helps. As others have said it might be rusty so try spraying some pb blaster in to loosen things up? Also using anti seize when you reinstall might help keep it from rusting.

hose LH178 5L likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: changing headlights. someone please help!   changing headlights.  someone please help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

changing headlights. someone please help!
Page 1 of 1