Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Markmark88
Not so new now
Not so new now
Markmark88

Number of posts : 39
Home City : Cronulla, Sydney.
Model and year : 1995 Toyota Hiace Super Custom limited. 3.0 turbo diesel
Registration date : 2018-06-04

Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect? Empty
PostSubject: Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect?   Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2021 1:56 pm

Hello fellow SC owners!
I recently had my batteries taken out to be charged and put back in, however it was so long ago I’ve forgotten where these wires (solid green and solid white) connect to and what they even power? To make things worse, my alternator seems to have stopped charging, the belt is fairly worn so I assume that’s why.. correct me if wrong, as for the wires, Unsure if these are related? Hopefully someone can shed some light for me. They go into a cable tray and then I’m not sure where to. Your help is very much appreciated. Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect? 2fcfe610Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect? 2fcfe610
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect?   Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2021 4:26 am

Those wires are some add-on that has been badly done and will almost certainly have nothing to do with your alternator issue. For that, check first for any blown fuses, otherwise it may just be a case of the brushes having worn out in the alt.
Whatever those wires feed the person who fitted them missed one of the most basic rules of adding anything to battery connections: the fuse in the hot wire right at the battery terminal! Without such a fuse any fault at the other end of the wires will cause the wires to become red hot and burn themselves and anything they're in contact with, maybe even setting the whole vehicle on fire. When you find out what is fed from those, please install a fuse. Also whichever of those wires is the negative (cold) wire should not be connected to the battery terminal but to a point on the chassis which is not where the battery earths as if the main earth becomes loose the whole starter current could flow through that wire if the other end finds an earth somewhere. Alternatively fit fuses in both wires for safety. (Many years of experience installing and servicing two-way radios has taught me about safety with batteries).
Anyway what doesn't work now that once did? There must be some clue as to what is fed from those, otherwise do you know any data cabling guys? If so get them to put their cable tracer on those wires and sniff around in return for a beer or something.

Markmark88 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Markmark88
Not so new now
Not so new now
Markmark88

PostSubject: Re: Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect?   Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2021 5:00 am

Thank you very much for the detailed response!
I most definitely will ensure they are fitted with fuses once I work out where they’re from.
I’m not sure what is no longer running that once was, I’ve been searching for the same answer. I’m about to test resistance of fuses in battery bay and check others under footwell to try see if there’s any clues. It possibly could be an aftermarket reverse camera that once was mounted on the rear windscreen that never worked since taking ownership so I removed it all, there is also an aftermarket reverse light fitted above the rear windscreen that has never work but might be worth testing as well. I did feel the v notch alternator belt the other day and noticed a few teeth missing from the belt. Perhaps that could be a problem also?
Back to top Go down
Markmark88
Not so new now
Not so new now
Markmark88

PostSubject: Re: Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect?   Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2021 5:01 am

Thank you very much for the detailed response!
I most definitely will ensure they are fitted with fuses once I work out where they’re from.
I’m not sure what is no longer running that once was, I’ve been searching for the same answer. I’m about to test resistance of fuses in battery bay and check others under footwell to try see if there’s any clues. It possibly could be an aftermarket reverse camera that once was mounted on the rear windscreen that never worked since taking ownership so I removed it all, there is also an aftermarket reverse light fitted above the rear windscreen that has never work but might be worth testing as well. I did feel the v notch alternator belt the other day and noticed a few teeth missing from the belt. Perhaps that could be a problem also?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect?   Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unknown wires! Anyone else seen where these connect?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Electrical :: Sparky Lives Ere-
Jump to: