Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CovidCruzer

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Auckland
Model and year : Super Custom 1992 4x4 3L
Registration date : 2020-09-03

Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom Empty
PostSubject: Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom   Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2021 10:56 pm

Hi Everyone,
Has anyone tried to add an electric cooling fan to a Hiace Super custom?
I have just had the head replaced and want additional cooling for the summer months - especially when towing.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom   Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2021 7:59 am

My SC is on stands and stripped own for bottom half repaint plus new sill on one side. looking in the front there are 2 radiators one vertical with usual viscous fan and separate AT oil cooler plus one horizontal with AC condenser with a massive electric fan on top, talk about comprehensive cooling and I can still get 110 deg C when towing up hills.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom   Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2021 4:39 am

But isn't part of the problem that the one underneath with the electric fan serves only the aircon (am I right) and that leaves only the one with the engine-driven fan to cool the engine. When we had our Hiace I'd thought about fitting an electric fan but I don't think there's really enough room, and the alternator was too small to support that additional electrical load. This was discussed a little in another thread a while back.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom   Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2021 7:53 am

The horizontal rad is connected in series with the vertical one the condenser below it fan on top JP parts show the two rads but not the fan condenser set up all on one page.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom   Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 4:09 am

@JT69 my bad, I need to temper my comment with the suggestion that it may vary with the many different variations of the Hiace. Since we sold it I don't have it now to go and look, but we had to have the vertical radiator replaced in ours when it rusted out and began leaking, I'm almost certain there was no connection between the engine cooling system and the horizontal radiator, the horiz one seemed to be only for the elaborate dual aircon system. But then that van was weird in quite a few ways and had certainly seen its share of modifications.
The Dyna we now have shares many similarities with the Hiace but it has only the one (vertical) radiator.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom   Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 6:51 pm

I know someone here who mounted a horizontally-oriented auxiliary radiator about halfway between the front/rear axles as there was some open space, and put a switched electric fan on it. They can flip it on during hill climbs etc, for added cooling ability.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom   Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2021 9:23 am

AgathaAlice wrote:
But isn't part of the problem that the one underneath with the electric fan serves only the aircon (am I right) and that leaves only the one with the engine-driven fan to cool the engine. When we had our Hiace I'd thought about fitting an electric fan but I don't think there's really enough room, and the alternator was too small to support that additional electrical load. This was discussed a little in another thread a while back.

When I was messing about with sensors on my engine, I discovered the horizontal electric fan is also triggered by a temperature sensor near the head coolant outlet (top/front of engine).

Disconnect that sensor and the fan whirrs into life!

For the Original Poster: Your coolant could perhaps be changed for new Toyota long or extra long life, and also people of the Hilux group sometimes add oil to the main fan boss. No electric fan will rival the power of that engine driven fan (in practice), just make sure the radiator flows well, is clean, and the fan boss transmits the power when it needs to.

Also fit a decent gauge (or modify the original one to remove the dead spot) so you know when to slow down on a journey, to keep engine temperatures under control. The coolant system being tucked under the van like it is means the airflow isn't as good as on a truck, so the fan is essential at all times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom   Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adding an Electric Radiator Fan to a 1992 Super Custom
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: