Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New alternator - no output or ignition lights

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Taz555

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Bedford
Registration date : 2020-09-26

New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Empty
PostSubject: New alternator - no output or ignition lights   New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 6:23 pm

Hi there
I just replaced the alternator on our 3l auto 1995 camper
I followed the instructions I found on this site.
It was a bit of an awkward job and I had to use an adapter from an oval to round 3 pin connector.
On ignition none of the warning lights (battery/alternator and glow plugs) come on. The engine starts but there’s no out put from the alternator just the 12v from battery.
I have checked there is power at the plug, seems ok.
Could it be a fuse or relay? Any ideas welcomed
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: New alternator - no output or ignition lights   New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 12:49 am

Is the adapter wired correctly?
It does sound like a loss of power to the instrument cluster which could be a blown fuse which would rob the alternator of its field supply (comes via the warning lamp) so the alternator won't start up. Check all the fuses you can find and if you find one blown and a replacement blows immediately try unplugging that adapter to see if it is the cause (although I doubt it). Could you have shorted something else during the removal / replacement of the alternator?

Taz555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Taz555

PostSubject: Re: New alternator - no output or ignition lights   New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 7:28 am

Thank you. Will check fuses today.
Back to top Go down
Taz555

PostSubject: Re: New alternator - no output or ignition lights   New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 am

So an update on the alternator. After checking every fuse and the wiring, still no power to dash or output. I checked the adapter and no problem there. Finally, I plugged the old alternator in and all of the warning lights came on. So it looks like the problem is with the new alternator. Taking it out tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: New alternator - no output or ignition lights   New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 6:02 am

Well at least you have an answer, but what a pain to have to take it out again!
Back to top Go down
Taz555

PostSubject: Re: New alternator - no output or ignition lights   New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 6:44 am

Yes. Took practically a whole day to get the old one out. At least I know how to do it now.
Back to top Go down
brizbarnhart

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Portland, OR USA
Model and year : 1992 Hiace Super Custom Diesel 3L (2.8 liter) 4WD
Registration date : 2017-12-04

PostSubject: Rebuild   New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 7:22 pm

I had my alternator on my 92 hiace SC with 3L motor rebuilt here in Portland at a place called Romaine Electric. Had same symptoms, all dash lights on and annoying beep. It cost about $250 to have done, but was told a new one would be double that. Oil got into mine cause a seal failed which ruined the brushes. Rebuilding makes it like-new and you know it will fit correctly. Luckily had a friend help with removal and re-install. This may be annoying in your case, since your already bought a new one, but may help others.
Back to top Go down
Taz555

PostSubject: Re: New alternator - no output or ignition lights   New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 7:32 pm

Yes. Thanks for that.
So I took out the new one and took it with the old one to an alternator guy.
Got the old one refurbished and refitted it. Working great charging at 14.2 amps
The new one was wired differently and so I will reword it correctly and keep as a spare.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: New alternator - no output or ignition lights   New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 7:05 am

Pleased you got it sorted!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New alternator - no output or ignition lights   New alternator - no output  or  ignition lights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New alternator - no output or ignition lights
Page 1 of 1