Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Air Con question - help required please

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gsxr-jonesy

Number of posts : 16
Home City : surbiton
Model and year : 92 Camper
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Air Con question - help required please Empty
PostSubject: Air Con question - help required please   Air Con question - help required please Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 7:16 am

Hi all

Hope this is in the right section.

My air con has started to make a noise when I put it on - it sounds like a belt slipping or bearing going....hard to tell which. It tends not to do it if the vehicle is stationary, but when the engine is under load, there is an audible squeal from the dashboard when the unit is turned on e.g. if i trun it one when driving above 40mph. It then goes, but when the engine is under load, it returns sometimes e.g. when going up a hill or overtaking.

My initial thought was the drive belt (assuming the air-con is belt driven?), but the noise is from the dash rather than the engine....so I wondered if it was a fan bearing or similar?

Having just spent a load of cash on the MOT, this is the last thing I needed, so I'm hoping that one of the experts can point me in the right direction for diagnosis and hopeful fixing.

Thanks very much

Nick
Back to top Go down
philmel
philmel

Number of posts : 19
Home City : hayling island
Registration date : 2007-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Air Con question - help required please   Air Con question - help required please Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 2:48 pm

Very Happy I had this, it was the belt and was only cured by a new belt.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Air Con question - help required please   Air Con question - help required please Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 6:36 pm

New belt and the correct tension!

If yours is a 2.8ltr 3L engine , like mine, the adjuster is got at by removing the underseat section - drivers side. 14mm socket to get the seat & seat belt anchors, 12mm for the offside inspection hatch. The adjuster is down near the offside rear of the radiator. !4 mm - undo the idle pulley then 14mm for the adjuster. Sometimes needs a tap to release the belt tension.
On mine I found that sometimes the idler pulley near the Air Con unit screams a bit if the bearing lacks lubrication. Also if the tension is wrong (loose) it rotates after the engine is turned off.
I think the noise "from the dash" is actually the belt slipping, it is a very long belt that goes round the crank pulley, over the adjuster pulley, over the air-con unit then over the idler pulley.
Takes about an hour to change - don't know what the belt cost is currently.
Good Luck!!
Back to top Go down
philmel
philmel

Number of posts : 19
Home City : hayling island
Registration date : 2007-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Air Con question - help required please   Air Con question - help required please Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 3:19 am

Very Happy In my case the correct tension made no improvement and it started squealing once more in a matter of hours, I think the belt becomes glazed. As i said probably a new belt needed.
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Air Con question - help required please   Air Con question - help required please Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 4:20 am

Wasn't there something you could spray on the belt to 'lubricate' it without making it slip? I had some ( years ago ) and seem to remember it worked well. scratch
Back to top Go down
gsxr-jonesy

Number of posts : 16
Home City : surbiton
Model and year : 92 Camper
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Air Con question - help required please   Air Con question - help required please Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 6:34 am

thanks very much for taking the time to reply- very much appreciated

i'll have look at the weekend

incidenlty - in case it needs the belt, did anyone have the parts number, by any chance please

thanks very much

nick
Back to top Go down
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

Number of posts : 150
Home City : SYDNEY
Model and year : 99 LIMITED 2000 UPDATE
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Air Con question - help required please   Air Con question - help required please Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 2:06 am

I had a similar problem on my old petrol hiace but the sound wasn't from the dash, it sounded like the motor had done a bearing. My mechanic sprayed some spray lube on the belt and that did the trick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Con question - help required please   Air Con question - help required please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air Con question - help required please
Page 1 of 1