Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?

Go down 
+4
Kippax
Djhatzigiannis
AgathaAlice
MalL
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

Number of posts : 87
Home City : Manchester, UK
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
2.44L EFi Turbo Diesel Automatic LH100G
Registration date : 2018-08-13

Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Empty
PostSubject: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 pm

Just wondered if anybody had any strong thoughts on this choice ?

Rigid, while looking a little clumsy, would be relatively easy to upgrade if required. I already have roof-bars, though they are not presently on the van.

A flexible panel would be pretty much invisible.

From the little reading I have done it seems that their is little or no difference in performance.
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 12:26 am

Not relevant to rigid or flexible, by my thinking is that panels need to face the sun directly to get maximum performance. If they're fixed to the van that can't be achieved without moving around throughout the day.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 6:38 am

Solar panels need to be kept cool for best performance so rigid panels mounted with some clearance to allow airflow underneath will perform better than flexible panels directly on the roof. As the poster above said you will never get the rated maximum output from any panel which can't be re-positioned automatically to keep facing directly into the sun, I think if you halve the rating of the panel you'll probably get somewhere in the ballpark of what you'll actually get under normal conditions. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you'll have huge amounts of electrical energy available; you won't. Also remember to not let your deep cycle batteries run down much below 50% charge as that can shorten their life (and they're not cheap!) Use an MPPT controller, but beware of the very considerable radio interference radiated by many controllers on the market.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 3:14 pm

We have a flexible 130w panel glued to the roof, 2 years use now no problems at all, keeps the battery topped up, but struggles in the winter . At the end of the day its all about consumption do not think you can run a compressor fridge, use a 3way fridge led lights and a low wattage TV diesel night heater, we free camp mostly and have never run out of power.
Back to top Go down
Djhatzigiannis
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 21
Home City : Eltham
Registration date : 2020-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2020 12:34 pm

@jt69 how many amp hours do you have battery wise?
Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks for all the responses.

Having a panel I can fully orientate was a bit low down on my priorities given that if you are going to tilt it, then you need to be able to spin it as well.

Fairly common not to get a choice in precisely which direction you park and when you do the view will always come first.

Read in a few places that roughly you should consider 1 watt per amp.hr of the battery. So with a 115a.hr battery I'm going to go with a 150 panel to allow for in-efficiencies.

Decided to go with flexible as the roof bars I have look a little clumsy and this way the install will be virtually invisible. As for cooling of the panel when fixed directly to the roof, i was given a tip to use that corrugated plastic paneling and sandwich this between panel and leaving the front and rear edges clear to allow air to flow in between when driving.

Expected loads in the van will rarely exceed the 18 watt TV plus charging my devices (phone, BT speaker etc.). No real intention of getting a fridge as the cooler box seems to fit me needs.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2020 8:24 am

My battery is 100amp hr and solar panel 130w , all I can say is it works well , over 2 years no problems.

Kippax and thisissimple like this post

Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 7:14 am

Out of interest, care to offer any advice or tips for routing the cable from the roof ?

thisissimple likes this post

Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 8:05 am

My panel is stuck on to the rear of the van roof cables also with adhesive feed through top left of rear door (drilling holes in the van roof is not a good idea) into door reassess then into interior part of frame with rubber grommet and sealant down inside door pillar to below bed level then to interior of van to regulator and to battery . I used Syckaflex adhesive sealant expensive but the best.

Kippax likes this post

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 11:07 am

I always have questions about panel fitting for myself!

Flexible is in my view best, but sticking it to a curved roof creates issues of:
1. The curve tilts part of the panel away from the sun which can drop efficiency of the whole panel.
2. Getting it off if it needs replacing
3. Cooling.

So I would tend to go with roof gutter clamps and a panel long enough to bolt straight to the clamps. Then I'd add a curved piece of metal to the leading edge, and a folded bit to the trailing edge to reduce noise, flutter and drag.

As it is however, I have a portable flexible panel for manual deployment. However this '80W' panel only delivered 35W in full sun so it's a bit rubbish LOL.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 5:29 pm

Yes as with all solar panels the actual output never lives up to anywhere near the manufacturers claimed output so if need be double the size you think you need.
Back to top Go down
cjs_surf
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 33
Home City : Dublin
Model and year : 1991 LH119 PT 4WD Hight Top YMC Camper
Registration date : 2009-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2020 3:16 pm

I'd take the totally opposite approach, something like a 20W panel, it will keep your battery in good condition and charged but not do the bulk of the charging. I'm lucky if I get way in the camper much more than once a month due to family commitments so I've 30 days to charge 80HA should be plenty. Saying that I'm still looking for a cheap one and I'm going to get rust fixed and a spraying done first. The joys of a 91 camper. Still love that machine if I had to choose between the wife and it, well you know they are a great van and hard to comeby
Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 9:22 pm

I've gone for a 130w flexi, as its the largest I could physically accommodate between the central and rear sunroof.

Hoping I can get away with white gorilla tape along the edges only rather than glueing the entire area.

Intend to experiment with cable routing upon its arrival as I am very reluctant to start drilling the roof.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

thisissimple likes this post

Back to top Go down
thisissimple
thisissimple

Number of posts : 18
Home City : Lake Forest Park, USA
Model and year : 93 KZH106 Super Custom
Registration date : 2019-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2020 4:51 am

I'm interested as I'm wanting to set up a solar panel and batteries on mine as well (and also dont love the idea of roof drilling) Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?   Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solar panels ....... rigid or flexible ?
Page 1 of 1