Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

Number of posts : 150
Home City : SYDNEY
Model and year : 99 LIMITED 2000 UPDATE
Registration date : 2008-04-01

TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT? Empty
PostSubject: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?   TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 9:39 am

JUST WANDERING IF ANYONE HAS LOWERED/RAISED THE FRONT END BY ADJUSTING THE TORSION BARS? NEED TO DROP MINE TO GET INTO CARPARKS, I CAN GET CUSTOM SPRINGS FOR THE BACK BUT THE GUY WANTS TO CHARGE ME AN ARM AND A LEG TO ADJUST THE FRONT, SEEING AS THERE ARE NO PARTS REQUIRED I WANT TO HAVE A GO MYSELF BEFORE HANDING OVER THE CASH. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?   TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 4:15 pm

The torsion bar adjusters are about half way down the van, if you lay down near the sliding door you will see the locking nut and adjuster. Take an equal number of flats on the adjuster on both sides to keep the vehicle level.
Ideal to know if you have to replace the front top wishbones!
Back to top Go down
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

Home City : SYDNEY
Model and year : 99 LIMITED 2000 UPDATE
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?   TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT? Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 8:08 am

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.
Back to top Go down
Dill

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Queensland Australia
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?   TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT? Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 11:54 am

Hi all, Just letting you know that if you adjust the height of your front suspension you should really get a wheel alignment done, as it will change the camber seting. Also it is best to park on a dead flat surface and measure with a tape from the ground up to the top of the wheel arch (same spot on both sides) and adjust both sides so the measurements are the same, (so the vehicle is lever side to side).
Back to top Go down
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while
Robbo

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?   TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 1:39 am

It will also alter Caster setting. Wheel align is a must do afterwards. I'd not recommend lowering it via the torsion bars as it also softens the suspension and you have a floaty boat.
Back to top Go down
Dill

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Queensland Australia
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?   TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 2:06 am

Hi all, You are right, it will alter the caster as well but they should both be adjusted at the same time when the wheel alignmient is done. I have to disagree about lowering it causing it to be soft suspension, people often think that de-adjusting the torsion bars actually takes tension off the torsion bars thus causing soft suspension, but in reality all you are doing is changing the position of the torsion bars, the bars still have the same amount of weight on them and are still twisted the same amount , just in a slightly different position. The only way to change the spring rate of the torsion bars is to replace them with a different rate bar (usually thinner or thicker dia bar).
Cheers Dill.
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?   TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 6:50 am

After noticing uneven tire wear (inside of the passenger tire) I noticed that my drivers side sits almost 1cm lower than the other when measured off the front wheel hub to the bottom of the wheel well.

I looked and looked to figure out how to adjust the torsion bars but to be honest I guess I don;t know what I am looking for. Anybody have a picture or a part image so I can see what it is I need to adjust? Are they on the sides? Under the skid pans? Towards the center? Behind the tires, if so how far? Arrrg.

JohnHRef999: what year is your HiAce? Mine is 1991. Does that matter? Are they all the same underneath?

Any guidance would be helpfull. I'm usually better at figuring this sort of stuff out...

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?   TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:39 am

Found them!

From the front wheel there are thick black rods that goes back to just in front of the rear wheel. These are the torsion bars. Tightening involves not shortening the rod, as I was thinking, but rather turning the lever up with a nut. There is a lock nut as well, both are 22mm and required a 4-foot pipe on a wrench to loosen them.

Van is sitting level now. Sweet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?   TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: