Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lifting a 2wd

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Henno
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 27
Home City : Agnes Water
Registration date : 2020-02-06

Lifting a 2wd Empty
PostSubject: Lifting a 2wd   Lifting a 2wd Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 9:03 am

My next mod is lifting my 95 SC but it’s only the 2wd. Most posts I can find about raising SCs are for the 4wd boys. The existing 215/55R17s that came on mags with spacers have to go. They are already getting knicks and chunks out of them from the dirt roads I bash down to my local surf spots.

I have contacted the Kiwi company Cobra Springs and am waiting to hear back from them. I saw a thread where Pete_nz said they also have rear springs for 2wds.

Mine definitely does NOT have leaf springs in the rear. So will I need ‘taller’ shocks as well? I have done this to 2wd tradies vans before but only by sticking in an extra leaf in the back and winding up the front torsion bars. If mine is 4 point rear will it have a torsion bar front end or am I up for springs and shocks there as well?

Lifting a 2wd 51874b10
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Lifting a 2wd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifting a 2wd   Lifting a 2wd Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 11:34 am

The rear springs sit in some deep pans, so a 1" disc of solid rubber would give a nice lift. You can compute the lift from the pivot to pan and pivot to axle distances, i.e. each inch of spring = 1.75" of raise (that's a guess).

You will then need to calibrate and adjust the brake force adjuster on the back as it uses the ride height to judge the weight on the back wheels. A photo of yours empty would be instructive BTW as mine was lowered and I've always wondered exactly where the factory set it to.

Also have a plan to get the swing arms in and out, mainly a jacking plan as usually it's jacked up on those! The chassis rails go right to the back and with care can be used but mind the fuel filler tubes etc.
Back to top Go down
Henno
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 27
Home City : Agnes Water
Registration date : 2020-02-06

Lifting a 2wd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifting a 2wd   Lifting a 2wd Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 3:37 pm

I am prepared to bet if I ask any local mechanic if he can adjust the back break brake force adjusters on my Hiace because I have lifted it and ride height judges the weight on the back wheels he will look at me like I tried to explain trigonometry to him in Lebanese!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Lifting a 2wd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifting a 2wd   Lifting a 2wd Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 11:21 pm

Haha, maybe!
But once you get underneath the van it's a fairly straightforward thing, as the axle goes up and down the adjuster moves a pin into the valve.

When your van is unladen a photo of the position is all that's needed.
Then after the raise, move the adjuster nuts so it goes into that same position.. If you don't I think it will cut off most of the rear (foot) braking as it will sense the rear is unloaded (high).

Job done!

It's on here, load sensing assy., 47900
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lifting a 2wd Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifting a 2wd   Lifting a 2wd Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lifting a 2wd
Page 1 of 1