Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

what is the value of my babeeeeee?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jgls
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 60
Home City : Bendigo Vic
Model and year : Original Super Custom 1993 KHZ-001 apparently but comes in various names, in the USA she's a wagon or a DT custom, over here she (could be) may be called an RHZ.
Registration date : 2017-07-19

what is the value of my babeeeeee? Empty
PostSubject: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 11:55 pm

I'd like an opinion on my SC's value. 1993 Turbo diesel auto, with a few bings and bangs both sides, but mechanically sound - except for the  $1,000 radiator being put in over the next week sigh - brand new auto transmission, heads and with of course most moon roofs working bar the last two little ones up top.  Also curtains don't work of course.  It's been checked and no oil leaks nothing, i only bought it three years ago.  Wondering what anyone thought i might get for my baby if i have to sell (I'm a single mum with a 17 yr old and she wants to go to uni in the country, we have to sell the house for much less than we could in the proper times and I'm struggling, this breaks my heart). Melbourne Vic.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 7:46 am

Sorry to hear of your situation, but please try everything possible to avoid selling your house as you will never recover from the loss. House prices will rise again for certain, but even so there's nothing like the security of having your own house that nobody can take away from you. Other assets can be replaced but once you're on that house rental treadmill you're there to stay short of inheriting a lot of money, in the end all you have is a rich landlord who can turf you out at short notice for any imaginary transgression of your rental agreement.
Do you not have student loans in OZ like we do here? What you are wanting to do is noble but foolish in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 10:00 am

I agree with AgathaAlice, always try to keep money in some property.
The idea of going to university is ROI: Return On Investment. Always remember ROI, it's your family wealth engine.

I went to Uni in the 1980s when it was all free and paid for: no debt, no loan. I did a good engineering degree and got a job straight away. Even in that impossibly fortunate position it still took around 10-15 years to catch up the wealth of the people at school who went straight to work and bought their 'fixer-upper' houses.
Much of it was due to a rising housing market which I wasn't part of (being at Uni), but much was also the fact I wasn't earning for 3 years.

I know the dishonest Uni sales pitch is 'invest for the future' but people are now leaving Uni saddled with debt that will never give the RIO that you could get working down the chip shop straight from school.

What the smart people do is get their child to find a job in the industry they are interested in, but any job. So they can join the company and sector that wanted to but do it before Uni, not afterwards when they are broke and desparate. Then they can use this secret: Most decent companies will have schemes for study and further education while you are at work, you merely need to talk to HR and the managers.

A neighbour's kid across the road from us is doing this at a Pharmaceutical company, he has his school grades, he gets paid and he studies too. He's saving for the deposit on a house currently, while his friends are building debt.

So my advice is to chat to your 17 year old about the points above and see if they can get (or work up to) working in a decent company that is willing to help him study. It will save them years on the debt treadmill.
Companies like this because it saves them hiring unknowns, your period of work and study is like a very long trial period and you can move into the best jobs in this way.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down
jgls
Not so new now
Not so new now

Model and year : Original Super Custom 1993 KHZ-001 apparently but comes in various names, in the USA she's a wagon or a DT custom, over here she (could be) may be called an RHZ.

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks guys, but it's too big for us and the move to regional Victoria would mean I may have spare cash to survive until I go on the pension. I know it's a bad time to sell but i don't think i can afford to maintain nor live here in the meantime and she starts uni next March. I never said we'd be renting.
We get student loans for any courses she does relating to a career and also she'd get a student allowance fortnightly. That side is covered, but it's tight at the moment. So, I didn't mean we'd be struggling forever, it's tight right now, and I have to sell not because of that but she wants this uni course and I want out of the city. I should have been more specific. She wants to study education, can't just go into that, and she wants to change the education system in Oz, double major two masters, but none of that is really relevant to this forum.

I should have been much much clearer, sorry.

What I was actually asking what anyone thought my Super Custom 1993 Turbo Diesel Auto was worth (in Oz)
New radiator (Japanese custom radiator) being put in, new automatic transmission put in a year ago, new head, mechanically A1 (been checked by three mechanics, all v impressed by her) and a few dings on body. Any ideas? Thank you - and thanks foir your input.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 11:18 pm

I can certainly understand moving out a city, hope it all goes well!!

Valuing something is often tricky, I use two approaches:

1) See how much people are advertising them for (inc dealers but you'll need to be cheaper than dealer price)
2) Have a look at 'sold' prices on eBay.

The new gearbox won't add much sadly but may help it sell.

Sorry not to be much more use. It;s possible if you can find a 'paintless dent' repairer they can pop out the dents for quite a small cost that will make it look a lot better. Youtube has some examples of what they can do!
Back to top Go down
jgls
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 11:31 pm

Thanks GPW. It's the radiator but may well be the head as well! I thought a brand new gearbox MAY help, at least it's not 27 yrs old! I don't really want to sell it, it's amazingly reliable, I just wondered at price. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 11:54 pm

If the seats fold down so you can sleep in it then you may get more by pushing that angle.

As everyone has been trapped at home the campervan market should be quite good in the next few months IMO so it will act as a 'tin tent' for overnighting it's worth mentioning!
Back to top Go down
jgls
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 12:15 am

ah, they do and they swivel also. I have only one (the bigger behind the driver) seat in there apart from the two front ones, it's carpeted throughout. Of course the carpets and smaller back moon roof little windows don't work, but i believe the latter are fixable. I'm going to say around $6K and I paid 10 for it so that'd be okay. Given that for parts it'd kill it (people seriously pay for those taillights ) it gives me a bit of hope, but I won't sell her, i'll keep her and use her maybe to find stuff to sell and a market or something, maybe my sunday morning market day might help with some cash. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 6:23 am

Hi @jgls, thanks for your clarification; it does put a very different slant on my interpretation of what you are wanting (it's very difficult to convey meaning purely in one-way text!).
I was going to confirm what @GPW said, he could have been describing my life. My parents and others exalted the concept of gaining higher education, saying it would lead to a much better life but oh how wrong they were! As @GPW said the ones who dropped out of school and went to work are the ones who immediately began accumulating wealth, they're the ones with the bigger houses, the boat, the multiple recent model cars, the awesome significant other, whatever they wanted while the likes of me with my bachelor of science degree lag far behind.
What I'm saying is make sure your daughter really understands what she wants and the possible outcomes and also remember that like most women she'll probably want to enter a relationship with someone special and produce one or more children which will bring all those career aspirations to a sharp halt; it is simply not possible to be a good parent and have that kind of career and one's own children must come first.
Sorry if it seems I'm preaching but I'm 66 years old, now retired and have seen a lot of poor decisions made in that time.
Best wishes for whatever you do.

By the way guys I appreciate that I'm still allowed here despite not now having a Hiace. I will put up some pics of our Dyna which is named 'Doris' some time in the near future.
Back to top Go down
jgls
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 7:55 am

I am 60 so we're from the same generation. This girl of mine is adamant it will NEVER happen, she has never had a boyfriend and is not interested. ALL her friends are the school geeks and doing quite well (four scholarships for her alone) with one wanting to be NZ's next PM and her wanting to be Minister of Education. IF it doesn't happen, she'll at least be able to speak and spell properly which I'd be happy with - like us here (somewhat left wanting in other forums, like FB etc). I think she will better decisions than us, I'm going with around $6K the van is worth but wont' sell it.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 8:08 am

Ah the religion of education for educations sake , a quote from the past I will never forget , NEVER MISTAKE EDUCATION OR EVEN ELOQUENCE FOR INTELLIGENCE . I am nether educated or eloquent but solvent and happy.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 5:02 am

Now really @jgls, it'll never happen? My housemate Carole's eldest grandchild said that too .... now Carole is a great-grandma to a two year old little girl!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 2:06 pm

It sounds like the daughter is generation X or Z (I forget), they have been bombarded with anti women 'feminism' and LBGT with the global warming horror stories: all with the primary aim of putting people off having children.

The LBGT suicide rate is horrendous, much is made of being the victim and hating 'normal' life, but biology never forgives, ending up old and alone, childless, is a lonely and unhappy move too. The people pushing the agendas don't care of course - they are champions of depopulation - but your daughter will. One day, hopefully while the clock is still ticking.

So I'd say her best chance of a happy life is where she can meet someone who is also interested in education - maybe in the meantime she could volunteer in care homes and meet her possible futures? I know it's a bit brutal of me to say it - but that's how it often ends up.

But plenty of chances of meeting someone nice at Uni, any Uni, and head teachers get well paid so the plan seems positive in many ways as long as someone remains grounded in reality and life lessons Smile
Also on the plus side you have a hiace for the use of the odd camping trip, which will be great fun once we're allowed out again after the american bio-weapon scare.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 12:14 am

GPW wrote:
Also on the plus side you have a hiace for the use of the odd camping trip, which will be great fun once we're allowed out again after the american bio-weapon scare.

lol! @GPW if that's the case then it was quite the shot in the foot for us Americans then! I wonder if we'll ever truly know how it got started. Regardless, the superpowers sure do like pointing fingers.

Looking forward to the day when I can load my dog in the van, pick up a friend an go deep in the forest for a hike, away from all this madness...
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 8:01 pm

Yes, not the smartest thing to develop these things
https://www.nature.com/news/engineered-bat-virus-stirs-debate-over-risky-research-1.18787

Looking forward to getting out and about too, problem is so will everyone else so places could be full!
Stay well, keep up the zinc and vitamin C and D and you should be fine, there's around 7+ strains in the US of it now - most will be milder than the B strain that is exclusively in China.

Currently I'm messing about with solar on my Hiace, as it's resting now in the garden on the parched lawn it can keep the house and van battery nice and happy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what is the value of my babeeeeee?   what is the value of my babeeeeee? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what is the value of my babeeeeee?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: