Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
groovy_ozy_guy

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Hobart, Australia
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom Full-Time 4WD 1996
Registration date : 2020-05-17

Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?! Empty
PostSubject: Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?!   Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?! Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2020 8:29 am

Hey folks I am new here!

I've had my 1996 Super Custom for around a month and a half now and I love it! all wheel drive, turbo diesel etc - You guys know how awesome these vans are!

I want to replace the original double DIN head unit but I'm not sure how involved it is??

I do apologise if this has been asked before but I don't quite understand how the original units are wired up? Is there a factory amp up behind the dash? And do these factory screen units have a CD player behind the screen or how do they work?

Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?! NMdqwUpwy264a4SG6

Also there doesn't seem to be any power going to the head unit or 12v cig lighter (both the one in the front and the one in the rear). A previous owner must have tried to do it themselves and disconnected the power wires?

Last question is about head unit wiring adapters. Do these Toyota original audio C6000 units connect to a Toyota plug that I could get an adapter for?

Thanks heaps, James afro

Last edited by groovy_ozy_guy on Sun May 17, 2020 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Picture not showing)
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?!   Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?! Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 11:59 am

Hi James,

Double check the fuses that are above your left foot in the drivers footwell. The fuse box has a clip at the bottom. There should be one for the stereo and another for the cigarette lighter. Hopefully it's just a fuse gone.

Some of the built in units had an extra amp, I believe, but don't quote me on that.

Kind regards,

Rich

groovy_ozy_guy likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
CustardCrazy
Not so new now
Not so new now
CustardCrazy

Number of posts : 84
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Model and year : 1996 8 seater Super Custom 4WD KZH106
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?!   Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?! Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Mine had a built in amp half way down the van behind the right hand side interior panel. It's about 4m long (lol the panel not the amp) and a bit scary to remove. I used a std sort of converion loom from jaycar to put in a kenwood receiver. I did have to pull out that amp and wire those speakers straight through.

Back to top Go down
Jaadle63
Jaadle63

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Model and year : 1995 Super Custom Limited
Registration date : 2016-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?!   Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?! Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 2:30 am

Reading replies to some posts can seem foreign until you realise how many different variations there are amongst the different models Shocked My KZH100 still had the original Japanese unit and didn't have a amp that I recall but either way it was usless here in Australia so I pulled it like a sore tooth and replaced it with a double din GPS/dvd/cd.
I do remember that there wasn't a whole lot of space to fit all the wiring including the adaptor and the head unit but I also ran RCA stereo and video cables from the connections in the rear of the head unit to another screen in the rear of the van.Managed to get it to sit nice in the end.

Should it come to you having to change the head unit, I found my adaptor at Repco for about $12 and as there are 2 for Toyota Hiace you are better off if you can see it in person to make sure you get the right one. What you need is either the AERPRO APP0140 ISO Adaptor or AERPRO APP0141 ISO Adaptor...... I don't recall which one I used.

and Yeah!!.....Super Customs are AWESOME!!!! cheers

Back to top Go down
groovy_ozy_guy

Number of posts : 9
Home City : Hobart, Australia
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom Full-Time 4WD 1996
Registration date : 2020-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?!   Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2020 7:34 am

Hey guys,

Thanks heaps for the replies and my apologies for replying back so late! I keep forgetting I even signed up to this forum and when I ask a Hiace SC question on Google - The forum re-appears and I then remember haha... But didn't sign in till today!

Well the outcome of the stereo replacement and power issue was - quite possibly me being really vague and not pressing the power button on the default Japanese unit hard enough! Yep it worked!

A fuse was blown though for the cig lighter 12v socket so that was easy fixed. I have a physical disability so its hard for me to muck around with all the fiddly electrics but I had a mate do it for me.

Now running a double-DIN Kenwood touch screen unit with reversing camera RCA'd to the back of the head unit and FORTUNATELY the Toyota harness adapter from Autobahn connected it all up perfectly!

Now I want to research the exact drivetrain of these full-time 4WD vans.. I'll repost in correct thread

Happy Hiace-ing everyone!

HiacePNW likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?!   Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Super Custom head unit replacement and no power?!
Page 1 of 1