Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

EGR disable

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LiamM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 1992 Super custom limited
3L
Registration date : 2017-01-22

EGR disable Empty
PostSubject: EGR disable   EGR disable Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 8:53 pm

Seen a few things in the forum on this but not much for specifically what to do when disabling EGR function by removing vacuum control.

My EGR rattles when I rev. so I believe it's not working. Was going to take it off to clean it out and see but looks like a hassle  No .

Seen people say to just disconnect the vacuum line from it but I notice there are multiple ones. I took the one off that goes into the top part of the disc. Is blocking that line the way to do it? There is another line that comes out towards you when you are looking from the passenger side. Should I block this as well or leave it in?

See pics. Just have some electrical tape blocking temporarily.
Pulled line out the top
EGR disable Img-0312
Second line, should I pull?
EGR disable Img-0313
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

EGR disable Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR disable   EGR disable Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 9:49 pm

It's a shame it's so squashed in, but the vacuum pipes are used via two valves. One valve sucks it open, the other valve sucks it closed.

There may be a turbo wastegate valve there too - identify those pipes and valves so it's unaffected.

So yes, you just need to block the pipe that sucks it open, or disconnect the electrical connector from the valves that control it. The ECU may complain but I suspect the older ones like in that won't care.
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

EGR disable Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR disable   EGR disable Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 12:51 am

What year is your van? On my 1991 3L, with the engine off, I disconnected the electrical connector to the vacuum switching valve (VSV) that sends vacuum to the diaphragm which opens the EGR valve. I noticed an immediate performance increase after doing this (my EGR valve was malfunctioning). I think the EGR valve might not be completely closed, or is opening slightly under exhaust pressure at high rpms, so I have fabricated some blanking plates to install on the rusty-looking pipe the goes from the EGR to the intake manifold to block it off completely. I'll try and post some photos of that in April when I do the job.

This photo was taken below the rusty pipe that goes from the EGR to the intake manifold, same one as seen in your photo, showing the disconnected connector for the VSV:

EGR disable Img_2013
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

EGR disable Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR disable   EGR disable Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2020 3:47 pm

INteresting. Is this a possible cause of my low fuel economy and low power (3L diesel engine). And won't disabling it cause more pollution?
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

EGR disable Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR disable   EGR disable Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2020 3:16 am

My fuel economy jumped 3mpg (US) when I disconnected it, plus I gained a bunch of low end power that was sorely missing. My van runs way, way better now. I was producing a lot of black soot prior to disconnecting, so in my world a slight increase in nitrous oxide emissions is better than all the diesel particulates I was subjecting everyone to. Plus my CO2 footprint is smaller due to increased fuel efficiency.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

EGR disable Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR disable   EGR disable Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EGR disable
Page 1 of 1