Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Intermittent power loss

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Intermittent power loss Empty
PostSubject: Intermittent power loss   Intermittent power loss Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 8:34 am

A bit more to my long running saga , was definitely suffering from fuel starvation on my Hiace 1kzte and checked the return flow that had reduced substantially to zero on anything above idle speed (return flow on the 1kzte is normally quite high ) A fuel blockage was obvious after eliminating air ingress and adding an electric lift pump. So I started at the tank removing it for cleaning, the tank and the in tank strainer was filthy with 24 years of accumulated trash. Then I fitted a new fuel filter using the electric pump to prime system and prove a good fuel flow as far as the IP. No difference so the problem must be in the IP, now there are 2 or 3 very good vids on youtube about filters in the pump showing filters 1 under the temp sensor 1 under the spill valve and 1 under the return banjo ( this one is not a filter its a pressure relief) . They were all partially blocked and in much need of cleaning, not an easy job on a Hiace . Still no difference in performance so thinking the IP was broken it had to come off for testing, an even harder job. Fortunately we have a first class old fashioned diesel shop near by , they found the problem quick time THERE IS A 3RD FILTER under the input banjo, I had looked here and could not see it, quite the easiest filter to reach with the IP in place (this was not on any of the vids) and would have saved much time . Now with it all back together it is running perfect, in fact better than it has since I bought it . In all a great relieve as one has reservations about running on WVO thinking is it the problem, but hey ho the joys of running a 24 year old vehicle .
Hiace super custom camper 3ltr
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent power loss   Intermittent power loss Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 11:38 am

Wow, interesting and a good tip!!
Not an easy job getting the pumps off as they are driven by the cambelt and there's not a huge amount of space in there (and even less with my coolant mod !)
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent power loss   Intermittent power loss Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 1:22 pm

Not too bad once you take out the fuel filter ,oil filter , top hose, viscose fan (take it apart and top up the fluid while its out) then you can get a spanner on the crank bolt for the timing marks . New timing belt and water pump had allready been fitted but auxiliary belts kneaded (a proper bitch to fit) the pump itself is gear driven the belt just drives the cam, so timing and tentioning is dead easy, oh not to mention  drivers seat and the cover below have to come out to do the belts , refit all that lot and your done. The best and only advantage about this job you do everything through the doors standing up no lift needed and no scrambling around under the Hiace quite possible to do on the drive given enough time good luck .
PS only had 1 bolt left over.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent power loss   Intermittent power loss Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Thanks for the updates JT, I do have to change my cambelt at some stage next so it's useful info!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent power loss   Intermittent power loss Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intermittent power loss
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: