Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
woody.skate.and.destroy
Not so new now
Not so new now
woody.skate.and.destroy

Number of posts : 22
Home City : Canberra, ACT
Model and year : 1998 SC KHZ-100 3.0 Turbo Diesel
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Empty
PostSubject: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 7:31 am

I have a 1998 Hiace with the 1KZ-TE (KHZ-100). Unfortunately my water pump completely failed and by the time I had pulled over the van the pulley the water pump was on had been under a lot of stress.

My mechanic has told me that the "harmonic balancer" needs replacing and that he was having difficulty finding the part because other cars with the same engine don't have a ribbed pulley like the Hiace.

I found this one online that says it suits import Hiaces.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Harmonic-Balancer-HB1132N-for-Toyota-Hilux-Hiace-LC-Prado-1KZ-TE-see-details-/272607952207

Has anyone else has to replace the same part and know a part number and/or if this one will fit a Hiace SC?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 6:09 am

While it's possible that it was damaged, to me it seems a bit unlikely so I'd want to be sure before chasing parts. I can understand the belt(s) being damaged but I'd have thought the harmonic balancer would be sufficiently rugged not to have suffered unless it was already in a poor state. I could be quite wrong however as I'm no mechanic, just get the guy to show you the damage so you can see with your own eyes that he's not just trying to charge you for something you may not need.
Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
woody.skate.and.destroy
Not so new now
Not so new now
woody.skate.and.destroy

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 10:13 am

The mechanic lying is not a concern of mine because he is a trusted friend. Apparently the harmonic balancer looks like it got red hot and warped. I end up ordering this one online:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272607952207

The description says it suits Japan import Hiaces with a 1KZ-TE engine so hopefully it fits.

I'll update the thread and let everyone know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 7:11 am

Sorry no bad intentions, you didn't tell us the mechanic is a friend, that makes a huge difference!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Interesting, I thought that was just the front pulley, didn't realise it was a balancer!!
Back to top Go down
woody.skate.and.destroy
Not so new now
Not so new now
woody.skate.and.destroy

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 2:26 am

Ok so I ordered the part from the eBay link in my last post and it doesn’t quite fit my van ( which is a KZH-100G MFPQT ).

The photo shows the two parts side by side and you can see the original has a front pulley for a rubber belt and the new part does not. Any ideas where I can find a correct part?Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE 84a27010[/url]
Back to top Go down
woody.skate.and.destroy
Not so new now
Not so new now
woody.skate.and.destroy

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 2:30 am

*ribbed belt
Back to top Go down
woody.skate.and.destroy
Not so new now
Not so new now
woody.skate.and.destroy

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 4:00 am

Ok so I did some more research and it looks like there are two version of this balancer/pulley part.
Does anyone k of how to make sense of this part diagram from jp-parts? I need the balancer pictured on the right:

Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Df16c710

Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 5:41 am

Damn! Hope that one from eBay didn't cost you too much. Maybe you can onsell it to someone who needs one of that type.
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 8:28 am

going by the jp car parts this is the part no 13408-67030 for a 1998 kzh100g mfpqt $193.70 plus postage US dollars. hope this helps.
Cheers dave.
Back to top Go down
woody.skate.and.destroy
Not so new now
Not so new now
woody.skate.and.destroy

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks ruffnut!

I think that the part I ordered was an aftermarket replacement for 13408-67020 which is common on the Hilux Surfs and Prados with the 1KZ-TE.

Replacements for the 13408-67030 seem a little harder to find because there aren't aftermarket versions of it.

Luckily the place I ordered the incorrect part from has a 30 day repair policy.
I'll keep the thread updated with my progress. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
woody.skate.and.destroy
Not so new now
Not so new now
woody.skate.and.destroy

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2019 2:22 pm

Ok so I ordered the part from Japan via Amayama because I could not find one at any import wreckers that I called in Australia. Fingers crossed it will all work out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE   Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Harmonic balancer in 1KZ-TE
Page 1 of 1