Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hiace Supercustom interior center room light

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tylerf26

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Christchurch
Registration date : 2019-10-05

Hiace Supercustom interior center room light Empty
PostSubject: Hiace Supercustom interior center room light   Hiace Supercustom interior center room light Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2019 7:19 am

Hi all, I have just got myself a 1994 Hiace supercustom and am absolutely loving it. When I purchased it however I noticed that the center interior light (4 pin fluorescent) was not working. When I got it home I opened it up and there was no bulb there. After much hunting I finally gave up and got one from Toyota for $60 (nzd). Plugged it in and to my horror it still didnt work. The plug and switch look ok and the wires seem attached solidly to the circuit board and the fuse is ok (replaced anyway).
Has anyone experienced anything similar? Or any ideas of what to check next.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers guys
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Supercustom interior center room light   Hiace Supercustom interior center room light Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2019 9:47 pm

What I did with that light is this:

Bought a small up-down buck/boost converter from eBay so I could get exactly 12V out of it. I then added a 12.5V Zener diode as they have a little spike when you switch them off that kills the next item - a dimmer circuit:

Then I feed the 12V onto an eBay RF dimmer circuit. This circuit then feeds some 12V white led sticky strips that I stuck onto the light backing, so that the light is now dimmable from very bright to dim via an RF remote.

I still kept the old PCB for the plug and switch connections but removed most of the components.
The new one is much better Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Supercustom interior center room light   Hiace Supercustom interior center room light Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 11:14 am

Another option is to completely gut the thing. Rip out the transformer and all the electrical components and simply wire up an led array - or three. Just look at where the 12V comes in and where the grounds are and wire directly to that. Once you open in up and pull the board it's pretty simple to trace the On/Door/Off switching.
There's a second translucent diffuser panel inside which means the led light spreads well. I used the cheap multi chip panels (32 or so in a 10cm square board). Maybe $8 each.
Back to top Go down
Tylerf26

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Christchurch
Registration date : 2019-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Supercustom interior center room light   Hiace Supercustom interior center room light Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Hi guys,
Cheers for the reply. I ended up taking it into an auto sparky for a look and they identified that it was bad solder joints. They fixed this along with the central locking on the sliding door for an hours labour Smile
Thanks again for the replies
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Supercustom interior center room light   Hiace Supercustom interior center room light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiace Supercustom interior center room light
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: