Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited

Go down 
+12
JT69
gazt
Andonic
Toyoda
Pete_nz
thompsono
SleazyBakeOven
toldsimply
mickB
ruffnut
jafo843
AgathaAlice
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 25
Home City : Nottingham UK
Model and year : 1992 Super Custom Limited
Registration date : 2018-06-28

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 1:31 pm

Apologies if anyone was interested in the Volvo engine conversion and not seen any updates. I'm towards the end of this project now, didn't take many photo's along the way but intend to put some photo's up over the coming days. In the meantime, came across a couple of photo's on the internet of the engine donor when it was still a police car:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Police-Car

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Police-car-2

More to follow Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 2:07 pm

bye bye 2LT. Ended up selling the original engine on ebay to a guy that ships them out to Africa.

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200729-202058free image hosting sites

The original engine had to come out from below, and new engine lifted up from the floor. This was all done during Covid lockdowns, so had to come up with a way of doing this all on my own. New engine being lifted up in to the engine bay by any means possible: Laughing

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200826-181008
Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 2:29 pm

Engine/suspension crossmember had to be modified to clear front of the engine and give clearance for the oil filter. Used Land Rover engine mounts.

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Photo-Grid-1598882617742

It turned out that there was more differences between the Volvo 960 and Toyota Supra automatic gearboxes than anticipated. What I ended up doing was completely stripping both boxes, and built the Volvo one using the Supra output shaft, extension housing and gear selector rod.

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200513-174055
Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 3:10 pm

The sump fitted to the Volvo V70 engine is designed for FWD application and not suitable for RWD. What they use in these 5 cylinder RWD conversions is the sump from a Volvo 960, but these are 6 cylinder engines which makes the sump 1 cylinder too long....

Needs a section cutting out and welding back together. 6 cylinder sump on left, 5 cylinder on right

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200503-174359

Section cut out and bolted to engine, ready for TIG welding back together. Pick up pipe had to be modified also.

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200506-121211
Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 3:38 pm

Made some adaptors so that I can use Toyota ignition coils. I'd read that the Volvo ones could cause issues when used with aftermarket ECU, and I've used these same coils on another conversion I did. Coils sourced from a Yaris.

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200718-171857

I also wanted to use a Toyota alternator (the original Hiace one was unsuitable) and aircon pump. Had to make bespoke brackets to bolt these to the engine, the alternator bracket incorporated the N/S engine mount.

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200530-145241

Toyota Avensis aircon pump and Celica alternator bolted to engine(can't recall what car the belt is off, was something obscure):

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200625-194531
Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 4:19 pm

I changed my mind regarding the intake manifold and decided to use the standard one initially. Did this to save time as everything takes longer than anticipated......

I will revisit this in the future, I have an idea of combined intake manifold and chargecooler.

I welded an adaptor flange to the inlet, so I could bolt a Subaru Impreza 60mm throttle body to it. Chose this throttle body as they're dirt cheap, plentiful and plenty big enough for the power that this engine will be producing. Also welded on some additional brackets so that I could use the standard Hiace throttle cable, a Bosch idle valve and an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. Decided to paint it wrinkle black, which needs baking on. So obviously I put it in the oven whist the wife was out...... Got away with it  Laughing

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20210419-153106
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2021 6:44 pm

Not seen this thread before. Awesome work and so very well done. Puts my 30y refresh into the shade. Question above on insurance. My van is with Carole Nash on classic insurance so no accrued NCB but excellent value, I think.
Back to top Go down
frontslide
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : Derbyshire
Registration date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 5:45 pm

Very interesting conversion Gazt,  i admire your ability and enthusiasm, will cooling be an issue? Cool
Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 3:47 pm

frontslide wrote:
Very interesting conversion Gazt,  i admire your ability and enthusiasm, will cooling be an issue? Cool

Just realised I never replied. No, cooling is fine. Very Happy

Made a cowl to fit on the original radiator so that I can use an electric fan, controlled by the engine ECU.

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200912-111918pic host free
Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 4:15 pm

Updates are ridiculously slow, apologies.

Original fuel tank had to be modified, as it ran on diesel originally and the tank just had a syphon tube. Needed to incorporate an electric pump within the tank, as external pump are very noisy.

Started to modify the tank:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20201112-214841

Flange made for the pump to bolt up to:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20201114-161324

All welded in, not all that pretty as struggled to weld to the thin tank:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20201114-165259

Pump hanger fabricated to mount the Walbro pump:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20210203-205250

All back together with a fresh lick of paint:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20210213-184829

The tank actually had top be dropped by about 30mm when fixed back on to the van, to clear the new fuel lines which are made from AN6 pipe.
Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 4:24 pm

Additional boss welded to intake manifold to enable fuel pressure regulator to be mounted on fabricated bracket:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20210403-132846

Turbo had to be 'clocked' which meant a new wastegate bracket was required:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20210425-161227

Stainless exhaust downpipe elbow tig welded to cast turbo flange:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200927-175705

Gear selector rod modified:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20200914-130413
Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 4:33 pm

State of engine prior to wiring installation:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20210826-195642

Start of wiring  Shocked  :

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20210516-154845

Relay and fuse holder, which is mounted within battery compartment:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20210513-201646

Megasquirt MS3X ECU for the engine, Microsquirt for the auto gearbox and a gubbins to enable the solenoids to work, all of which were also mounted in the battery compartment:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20210307-110427
Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 4:38 pm

The original mechanical power steering pump wouldn't work, so I've converted it to use an electric pump, from a Vauxhall Astra. Used AN6 lines on the pressure side. All works perfect. No photo's of it installed, but here's the mounting bracket:

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 IMG-20210402-143915

Last edited by gazt on Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 6:37 pm

This continues to amaze me. Well done!

There are a few recent posts on here about members wanting, contemplating or having to change engines. This seems to be about as complex a job as it’s possible to do and it’s far more advanced than I’d tackle and I’m really hoping to see the results on here. There seems to be modifications on top of modifications but I love how you’ve solved all the problems you’ve encountered and enough brackets for Project Binky!

Please do keep up the posting as it’s fantastic!

gazt likes this post

Back to top Go down
gazt
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 12:01 pm

LH119V wrote:
This continues to amaze me. Well done!

There are a few recent posts on here about members wanting, contemplating or having to change engines. This seems to be about as complex a job as it’s possible to do and it’s far more advanced than I’d tackle and I’m really hoping to see the results on here. There seems to be modifications on top of modifications but I love how you’ve solved all the problems you’ve encountered and enough brackets for Project Binky!

Please do keep up the posting as it’s fantastic!

Thank you for the kind words. You're correct, this combination of engine and gearbox is about as complex as it gets, and sometimes I do wonder if I've lost my sanity. Has caused many an argument between me and the missus too.....

At this moment in time, despite lack of updates with photo's it is actually running and driving, albeit only up the road and back, and has quite a few teething issues to sort out - mainly with the auto box which I don't have massive amounts of knowledge on.

HeidiHiaceCymru likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited   We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We call him Dennis - Volvo T5 powered Super Custom Limited
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2