Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dirty tank

Go down 
+2
Robbo
philmel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
philmel
philmel

Number of posts : 19
Home City : hayling island
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 11:51 pm

Shocked I have a persistent blockage in the fuel tank and have to keep back blowing the pipe with compressed air. I have drained the tank and put some paraffin through but the problem persists. Is there a hole or hatch under the trim for the sender? has anyone any advice please Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Robbo
Been here a while
Been here a while
Robbo

Number of posts : 102
Home City : Forster, NSW Australia.
Model and year : 2WD 1996 SC Living Saloon with automatic turbo diesel 3.0lt 1KZ-TE.
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Maybe the tank is infected.

There is a bacteria that grows in diesel. When it does infect a diesel tank it will form lumps of clear jelly-ish stuff that block any filters, pump, injectors etc.
You can get a dosing chemical to kill it. Ask at a diesel place or somewhere with knowledge. An auto parts store is less likely to help but it would be worth checking just in case.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 7:06 pm

I had a petrol range rover that got that !
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
philmel
philmel

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 8:04 am

Smile I am going to drain the tank again then try a gallon of acetone and let that run off Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
philmel
philmel

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 11:51 am

Smile Having removed the carpet at the rear I have found the sender unit under a metal plate
It looks to be secured by four screws. As the screws are not equidistant from the edge I wonder if all will need to be released or if one of the m will make the dreaded boing sound that precedes the flying spring and wotsit that is essential and irreplaceable and now somewhere on the garage floor Suspect
Back to top Go down
philmel
philmel

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 7:20 am

Very Happy Well removal of the sender was no problem. The insides of the tank was contaminated with a grey waxy compound and bits and pieces of plastic and other unidentified detritus. So I put a gallon of engine degreaser in and agitated it with a bottle brush and an airline. Then I washed it out with a pressure washer and let it drain. Now refilled with a solution of 2 gallons of diesel and a shot of wynns dry fuel. The engine is running ok and I will report later as to whether it is a success or not.
Back to top Go down
Spud_Gun
Been here a while
Been here a while
Spud_Gun

Number of posts : 200
Home City : Taunton, Somerset UK
Registration date : 2007-02-06

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2008 11:10 pm

Good Luck Smile
Back to top Go down
philmel
philmel

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 12:11 pm

Very Happy Well so far so good, there was one hiccup on the road test when the filter blocked with water but no problems since touch wood. I have 120 odd miles to do this evening so if that goes without tears it is indeed a success!
Back to top Go down
philmel
philmel

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Crying or Very sad Oh woe and thrice woe! all was going well returning home at about 2 am then the engine just stopped, it was not a blockage as I had all the kit with me and neither was it the filter. The pump is circulating fuel but sadly I fear the injector pump has failed. I got taken home on a flatbed and arrived home at 5 30am frozen stiff! So its off with the pump and things, I will keep posting progress and of course any advice is appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
philmel
philmel

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 10:42 am

Crying or Very sad The fuel was contaminated with blue plastic particles which was my fault entirely! The pump is being rebuilt at around 950 gbp and that's without vat Mad .i will let you know the final outcome. affraid
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 11:45 am

950 gbp? you mean 950 great britain pounds? 950 sterling? Isn't a whole new pump cheaper than that. Or even a whole engine!

Al
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 8:25 am

You are being robbed!! Well and truly!!
I had my VE pump rebuilt with new seals for biodiesel for TWO HUNDRED PONDS STERLING in Lincoln.
Back to top Go down
philmel
philmel

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Crying or Very sad What is a VEpump?
Back to top Go down
philmel
philmel

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 12:57 pm

pale OK the final damage was 1087 GBP ! I feel well and truly shafted Evil or Very Mad but no where else would touch the pump at all.
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 10:03 am

I gave away a worn out 2.4 engine (hilux) last year with a good pump still attached! If I'd known then, what I know now.....
Al
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dirty  tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirty tank   Dirty  tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dirty tank
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: