Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

new hiace owner from Portland!

Go down 
+3
djathens
AgathaAlice
joeh
7 posters
AuthorMessage
joeh

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Portland, OR
Model and year : 1991 Hiace Super Custom
"Mighty"
Registration date : 2019-07-21

new hiace owner from Portland! Empty
PostSubject: new hiace owner from Portland!   new hiace owner from Portland! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi everyone, I recently bought a 1991 hiace super custom from vanlifenorthwest. Took it out for my first night camping last week and planning and longer trip next week. Love the van so far!

Thanks for all the valuable tips and discussion in the forum. Have a few random button/related questions:

* My fog lights button has two toggles - the top one turns on fog lights on the front, what is the bottom one supposed to do? Couldn't figure it out and no lights go on...
* I have a weird button on my radio that looks kind of like a sideways wifi symbol. When I press it the radio says 1420 but nothing else (and no other buttons do anything once in this mode) - what is this?
* Are people able to play US CDs? I tried to play one but it didn't work. Wasn't sure if this was a restriction on CDs or my CD player is broken...

new hiace owner from Portland! Screen10
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: new hiace owner from Portland!   new hiace owner from Portland! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 7:39 am

Hi and welcome!
Can't help with the fog lights; others here with those on their vans will be able to answer that, hopefully.
The button on the radio: isn't that frequency 1420 the Civil Defence frequency over there (or was it from Japan)?
Edit: Now I think about it more I think the US uses or used 640 and 1240 for that purpose so it probably is Japan's frequency. That button will be to switch to the C. D. frequency easily in an emergency, like an incoming missile from Korea or similar .....
Audio CD discs are the same world-wide so that won't be the issue, but DVD's do have regions and two types of encoding. You're not trying to play a DVD are you? If it's a standard CD does the machine take the disc in? If so it may just need the laser pickup cleaned; I think you can buy cleaning discs of dubious performance but best to open the unit and physically clean the lens with a cotton bud soaked in Iso-Propyl alcohol. If it won't even take the disc in you probably have a worn or broken rubber drive belt which would need replacing.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: new hiace owner from Portland!   new hiace owner from Portland! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 6:21 pm

@joeh - Welcome to the forum, I love the graphics on your van! My Super Custom has a fog light switch on the right-hand stalk, it's a ring-type switch that just turns them on or off. You have to set it to on, then turn the main headlight switch to at least the parking lights for the fog lights to come on. It's pretty awesome that you can run just the fog lights without the main head lights on. Most if not all US market cars I've driven will only engage the fog lights if the main head lights are already on.

I don't have a CD player in my van, and not sure if I have the radio button you mention, will check later, though it makes sense what AgathaAlice is saying

Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: new hiace owner from Portland!   new hiace owner from Portland! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2019 7:07 am

Is the CD player definitely an audio player? My 91 model, direct from Japan, had some kind of CD ROM based navigation system.
Back to top Go down
VNFRMJPN
Not so new now
Not so new now
VNFRMJPN

Number of posts : 45
Home City : NY, USA
Registration date : 2016-11-11

PostSubject: Re: new hiace owner from Portland!   new hiace owner from Portland! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 3:35 am

Welcome!

My fog light switch is on the right side of the dash.
I switched out the stereo as soon as I got it with a nice double din DVD player.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: new hiace owner from Portland!   new hiace owner from Portland! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 11:31 pm

Best buy a new double-din radio for it, but don't do what I did and completely change the speakers and add tweeters as it takes ages LOL.
Back to top Go down
Firstchair

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Portland
Registration date : 2019-08-09

PostSubject: Re: new hiace owner from Portland!   new hiace owner from Portland! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2019 6:40 am

Hey joeh. I’m looking at getting a super custom from vanlifenorthwest. How was the experience- are you happy with the condition of the van and their service? Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
joeh

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Portland, OR
Model and year : 1991 Hiace Super Custom
"Mighty"
Registration date : 2019-07-21

PostSubject: Re: new hiace owner from Portland!   new hiace owner from Portland! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2019 1:09 am

Hey Firstchair! Danny @ vanlifenorthwest was great and very helpful. I would highly recommend. Mechanically, the van has been working perfectly - taken it on two longer trips so far with lots of forest road driving and had no problems. Having someone who's already done work on the van that I can take it back to for maintenance and any other problems make me sleep easier at night, especially when I'm sleeping in the van =).

The only thing that I wish I'd know earlier is expectations about the timeline. The whole process can take up to 6 months, depending on the van, when it will be imported, and how busy they are. So it is good to know that going in.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: new hiace owner from Portland!   new hiace owner from Portland! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Firstchair!

I'll second Danny as an extremely knowledgeable and competent resource/mechanic on these vans. I imported the van myself (took 8 months from the first auction searches to delivery in Tacoma), but I had Danny do some of the bigger jobs that I wasn't comfortable tackling. The van runs great and I have learned a lot from him (and this forum). He does stay busy though, I had to wait a couple months before I could get in for the big jobs, but it was worth the wait. For smaller jobs, it's always been within a week that he can get to me. Dean's Car Care and Green Drop Garage are also options, as they have been doing work on Hiaces for a bit now.

AAA or the like is also something to consider if your alternator dies or something else major breaks on a road trip, as some parts are not shared with any other US-market Toyotas and must be ordered from outside the US. Danny does stock alternators, and I've been considering picking one up from him just so I have a spare on long trips.

Bcrawford70 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new hiace owner from Portland!   new hiace owner from Portland! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new hiace owner from Portland!
Page 1 of 1