Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Camper Electrician

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

Number of posts : 87
Home City : Manchester, UK
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
2.44L EFi Turbo Diesel Automatic LH100G
Registration date : 2018-08-13

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Could anybody recommend one in Manchester/North West ?

Have a few little checks and jobs I need to sort out.

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 5:03 pm

SMC in Newark are quite good, may be too far from you though.

You can always ask questions here!!
Back to top Go down
jafo843
Not so new now
Not so new now
jafo843

Number of posts : 67
Home City : Charleston, SC USA
Model and year : 1992 LH107 Super Custom
1994 LH119 Cruising Cabin
Registration date : 2018-05-09

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2019 8:46 pm

Along those same lines I would love a wiring diagram for the Cruising Cabin if that might actually exist.
Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2019 4:20 pm

Amongst other things, what I am trying to do is have a twin battery system where when mobile, the alternator will charge the primary battery until full, then automatically switch to the secondary.

I also have a CTEK MX5 intelligent charger. I want this to be powered by the EHU and behave as above when in the garage at home or plugged in on site. I have installed an additional single 240v socket in the cupboard to power this.

I'm reading a lot about relays, VSRs and SCRs and getting a bit confused. Not even sure if what I want to achieve is possible.

On top of the above I have something draining the battery which I need to get to the bottom of and a few niggly little things I have tried and failed to sort such as a failed courtesy light and the need to install a couple of 12v USB sockets.

None of these are particularly huge jobs, but auto-electrics always seems a bit of a dark art to me. I would be happier paying a pro, as long as I feel well informed enough to not get done.

I am holding off installing any more electrical accessories until I feel I have a more robust supply.

This is very informative, but poses more questions than it answers. Especially in relation to VSR's which seem the closest solution.

charging options...
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Ok so first I'd advise you to buy one of these:

UNI-T UT210E Current clamp multimeter. Don't get a cheaper one, you need this one as it does DC currents and is very very good. This will immediately allow you to tell how much current is flowing in a wire so you can track down current drains and usage easily.

Does the MX5 not come with suggested wiring diagrams to pick and follow? I'd expect CTEK to, even if online.
As for charging a domestic battery - do you mean having two domestic batteries?

12V auto-electrics are only complex because we have this on/off grid backup-power thing going on Wink

Edit: Get the UNI-T UT210E, not the A, B C or D models, it must be the E model.

Last edited by GPW on Fri May 17, 2019 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2019 8:41 pm

GPW wrote:

UNI-T UT210A Current clamp multimeter. Don't get a cheaper one, you need this one as it does DC currents and is very very good. This will immediately allow you to tell how much current is flowing in a wire so you can track down current drains and usage easily.

Does the MX5 not come with suggested wiring diagrams to pick and follow? I'd expect CTEK to, even if online.
As for charging a domestic battery - do you mean having two domestic batteries?

12V auto-electrics are only complex because we have this on/off grid backup-power thing going on Wink

Checked out that multimeter and it seems affordable enough (about £15).

However, it's one thing having the tools and a different thing altogether knowing how to use them.

The van already has a pretty decent 240v setup however, I tend to do a fair bit of wildcamping so the only only method for charging devices is via the existing and additional USB ports. I dont fancy finding myself unable to start the van after a few days in the middle of nowhere without driving.

I installed a new cranking battery last summer, but using the CTEK have since recovered the old one. So the plan is to use that in the interim. Eventually maybe replacing with a gel.

The CTEK guidance doesn't extend beyond conventional installs.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2019 10:45 pm

No worries, the multimeter is easy to learn, set it to 2A or 20A, press the 'DC' button and then clamp the little clamp over the wire to read off the current going through it.

Current is in Amps, Battery size is in Ah (Essentially the number of hours at 1 amp draw), so you you detect a 1A current from a 80Ah battery, it will last 80 hours. Or 40 (half) if you want the battery to last more than a year...

I see so you have 1 battery in the van and want to add a 2nd. The 'while driving' charging of this is done simply by a split charge auto-sensing relay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Amp-Split-Charge-Relay-Voltage-Sensing-Control-Unit-With-Manual-Switching/222707399391

Which IIRC comes with wiring instructions... but you do need to use 10mm2 wire and a proper fuse at each end if you don't want it all to catch fire Smile.

Sorry I did not realise the MX5 is a simple charger, it will realistically only charge one battery at a time.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2019 8:43 am

My system consists of a start battery 1 house battery 130amp hr good quality split charge relay, 240v supply panel found in caravans, and sockets with 12v charging to house battery, all with fuses in appropriate places + 130 watt solar pannel on roof with 30 amp controller. On the consumption side I have 3 way fridge water pump LED lights through out TV and sat receiver + usb sockets for phones on a panel with voltage readout, interesting to watch TV and Voltage going up and down as solar controller cuts in and out 13.5v to 14.9 nice to now the panel is keeping up with consumption. As yet with many weeks wild camping have not run out of power. Must add we have a diesel heater that is heavy on electric and has to be limited in use, as yet no problems at all, my motto is keep it simple and it will be easy.
Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2019 9:47 am

GPW wrote:

Which IIRC comes with wiring instructions... but you do need to use 10mm2 wire and a proper fuse at each end if you don't want it all to catch fire Smile.

Sorry I did not realise the MX5 is a simple charger, it will realistically only charge one battery at a time.

It comes with a basic wiring diagram.....

Camper Electrician Scr10

However, where is the alternator in that set up ? Is it connected to the +ve on both batteries ?

The CTEK will only charge one battery, it simply replaces the alternator when the EHU is applied when stationary. The question is can I use the same SCR set-up for both charging setups, or will I have to duplicate the components ?
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2019 1:35 pm

That is my setup with alternator going to primary battery.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2019 5:03 pm

The primary battery is charged by the alternator as usual as noted, nothing needs to be touched there, don't worry about the primary battery: it's looks after itself.

The domestic or secondary battery will - with that circuit - be charged as you drive.
When on EHU simply connect your Ctek to the domestic battery only.

That's it!
Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 1:12 pm

GPW wrote:

UNI-T UT210A Current clamp multimeter. Don't get a cheaper one, you need this one as it does DC currents and is very very good. This will immediately allow you to tell how much current is flowing in a wire so you can track down current drains and usage easily.

Just looking at these clamp multimeters again and its a minefield on eBay. Most sellers are showing multiple types for the same listing and are very sketchy with the precise specification. So you have no idea what you might receive and with a return address in the far east it's all very messy and potentially costly.

YouTube videos seem to imply that its the 210E I would need for measuring voltage,
Back to top Go down
jafo843
Not so new now
Not so new now
jafo843

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 1:22 pm

eBay has really gone down hill.  I'd go to Amazon.  Here's one for under £20

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Current-Voltage-Capacitance-Multimeter/dp/B07L256G9K/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=UNI-T+UT210A&qid=1558095465&s=industrial&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Does this not imply that the "A" model wont do voltage ?

Camper Electrician Captur10
Back to top Go down
jafo843
Not so new now
Not so new now
jafo843

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 1:46 pm

weird, that's what it's looking like. For the extra £ I'd get the 'E'
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 7:32 pm

You want the one with the DC current capability on it, so the E is the one you want, just checked and mine id the E, I'll edit my post to reflect that!
Back to top Go down
Kippax
Not so new now
Not so new now
Kippax

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 10:09 pm

GPW wrote:
You want the one with the DC current capability on it, so the E is the one you want, just checked and mine id the E, I'll edit my post to reflect that!

"E" duly ordered.

.... (well it is a Friday night bounce bounce )
Back to top Go down
jafo843
Not so new now
Not so new now
jafo843

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 10:44 pm

I think I need one of those too. Gets pretty old running a lead 10 feet to check continuity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Camper Electrician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camper Electrician   Camper Electrician Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Camper Electrician
Page 1 of 1