Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Empty
PostSubject: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Afternoon All,

Just wondering if my 2.8 litre (without turbo) has an OBD port? I'm trying to track down an electrical gremlin and hoping this might help.

Kind regards,

Rich
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Not sure, check near the battery and also below the glovebox (mine is here).

What's the gremlin (sorry if you posted this before!) ?
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi GPW,
I've had a hunt around around the battery and under the glove box and haven't seen anything obvious, or found a plastic panel that looks like it's hiding one, although that doesn't mean it's not there.

I've still got the issue with all the dash lights coming on, and the audible buzzer, after starting the van. I've had a new alternator and a new battery fitted but it's still doing it intermittently on start up. It all seems to coincide with having a new thermostat fitted after the other one broke and the engine got a bit hot. I've noticed that on the days/trips when the alarm doesn't go off, on start up, the engine tone sounds like it's running slightly faster. I keep wondering if it could be related to fitting a dodgy thermostat? Thus far I've spent around £700 trying to get it sorted. boo hoo.

I did have a hunt around the engine to see if there were any suspect wires that look like they'd gotten hot but I couldn't find anything obvious. That was with the drivers seat out and the extra panel off. I'm not sure where the earths locations are as it was suggested it could be a dodgy connection there.

Answers on a postcard to this address ;o)
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi - I remember now.

The wiring diagram says it must be either (pin D11) the water-in-the-fuel warning switch in the fuel filter or (pin C6) Charging system for the buzzer to sound too. The diodes in the diagram allow flow only from +ve to -ve in the direction of the arrow. So D11 being grounded brings on only the 'filter' lamp, if the charging circuit triggers it the T-belt, Filter, Brake, Oil level, Radiator and Charge lamp come on together.

Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Gauges-diesel-joined

Which lamps come on with the buzzer - does it match that set?

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Also check this thread - it seems that little 'I'm working' wire from the alternator can be a bit fussy, have you got anything like a split charge relay also connected to it?

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t72-trigger-wire-for-split-charge
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Hey GPW,

All of this is really helpful. It is the T-belt, Filter, Brake, Oil level, Radiator and Charge lamp that all come on together so it does sound likely that it is something to do with pin C6, or the split relay.

I'm not sure exactly how the leisure battery and the like are connected but I will go on a mission to work it out at the weekend as it's been driving me mad for about 6 months.

Thank you so much, really, really appreciated. If this fixes it I owe you big time.

Kind regards,

Rich
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 5:40 pm

No worries, the link dos put your split charge relay as #1 suspect.

I bought one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80-Amp-Split-Charge-Relay-Voltage-Sensing-Control-Unit-With-Manual-Switching/322865585299

type controllers, looks safer to me. No connection to the alternator wire required. I only got one as I'm lazy but it looks like the right move Very Happy
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Thanks GPW. Hoping to have a good investigate on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 415
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 7:17 pm

That is the one I fitted good instructions and dead easy to fit.
Back to top Go down
Moorad23
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 25
Home City : Fresno CA
Model and year : 1991 Toyota Hiace Ambulance 4x4
Registration date : 2016-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 8:32 pm

I am also having the exact same problem with the constant annoying beep coming on while driving, Tbelt, batt, radiator, oil level, brake light all coming on. Did you ever resolve this problem? I currently use a battery isolator by Battery doctor. The isolator is only wired from my main van battery to my aux battery and grounded to the chassis.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2019 8:57 pm

It's either the fuel filter water sensor or the alternator 'I'm OK' wire dropping.

The conclusion was that the split-charge relay in that case was dragging the 'I'm OK' wire down.

Essentially if either the 'I'm Ok' wire or the sensor wire to the bottom of the fuel filter goes too close to ground the buzzer sounds - but if it's the fuel filter only one light will come on.

So it sounds like your alternator may need checking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?   Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does the 2.8 litre (without turbo) have an OBD port?
Page 1 of 1