Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CHT Sensor help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Snowshoes

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Benbrook, TX
Registration date : 2019-01-15

CHT Sensor help Empty
PostSubject: CHT Sensor help   CHT Sensor help Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi guys and gals Smile Can anyone recommend a good CHT sensor that fits on the KHZ106W? Prefferably one with an alarm that beeps at almost dangerous temps? Im looking for one with a digital readout as well that i can attach to my dash.
considering this as well RACING TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER CHT SENSOR ALARM ENGINE OIL WATCHDOG OVERHEATINGĀ°F cant post links but you can google that if youd like Smile
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

CHT Sensor help Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHT Sensor help   CHT Sensor help Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 6:07 pm

Have you checked out the gauges from MaxTow.com? I've got a few marked for a future install.

https://www.maxtow.com/water-temperature-gauges/
Back to top Go down
Snowshoes

CHT Sensor help Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHT Sensor help   CHT Sensor help Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 7:08 pm

That one seems decent but I'd really like one with an alarm. Having trouble finding one that ships to the states quickly. I bought this vehicle for a postal delivery job so I have gotta take extra special care of it so I don't lose the job.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

CHT Sensor help Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHT Sensor help   CHT Sensor help Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 7:23 pm

Snowshoes wrote:
Hi guys and gals Smile Can anyone recommend a good CHT sensor that fits on the KHZ106W? Prefferably one with an alarm that beeps at almost dangerous temps? Im looking for one with a digital readout as well that i can attach to my dash.
considering this as well RACING TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER CHT SENSOR ALARM ENGINE OIL WATCHDOG OVERHEATINGĀ°F cant post links but you can google that if youd like Smile

CHT = Cylinder Head Temperature ?

What is the engine? If it's a 1kz-te the sensor for the gauge is near the front of the head on the LHS.
The built in sensor will already sense the temperature, as it gets hotter the resistance changes and drags the voltage at the sensor down as it moved the gauge.

You can experiment with a 100 ohm rheostat or potentiometer to see what resistance the sensor has when the temperature is too hot (lets define atht as the gauge at position A). Then you can measure the voltage at that point when the gauge is at A (where you want the alarm to sound) and buy/make a voltage comparator that sounds a buzzer when it goes below that.
I'm currently seeing if there is a cheap chinese module that does that sort of thing, there may well be. Else it's a 12V buzzer and a little circuit.

ETA: Like this!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Control-Auto-Circuit-Modifications-Voltage-Comparator-Module-DC5-12-24v/142635687534
Then wire the relay into a buzzer/lamp so it sounds when the temperature rises (i.e. the voltage at the sensor drops) to the preset values.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

CHT Sensor help Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHT Sensor help   CHT Sensor help Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Even in Texas, I wouldn't think that you'd need to worry about an overheating issue for at least a few more months, should be plenty of time to get something shipped from overseas. I've seen other folks on the forum recommending the watchdog as a solution. Overheating is usually due to poorly maintained cooling systems and/or climbing long steep grades with extra weight in/on the van.

If you are concerned about cooling issues, I would definitely make sure you go through your cooling system to check for leaks, state of thermostat, radiator, viscous radiator fan operation, coolant condition, etc. Secondarily, maintaining optimal tire pressure, using the correct weight of engine oil, and fresh diff oil will alleviate some minor amount of burden on the engine. It all adds up!
Back to top Go down
Snowshoes

CHT Sensor help Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHT Sensor help   CHT Sensor help Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 8:14 pm

Thank you both for your input I will definitely be checking the condition of those things when i get the vehicle delivered Thursday. GPW I will Look into that as well that sounds like a very neat idea.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

CHT Sensor help Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHT Sensor help   CHT Sensor help Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 8:40 pm

The Hiace importer who performed some services on my van told me that there is almost always some type of cooling system component that needs fixing/replacing when his vans roll of the ship. For mine, I replaced all the soft hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, and will be flushing the coolant several times this year to get all the rust scale out of the system.

If you have a rear heater also check the hard lines to the rear heater core, as those get a lot of exposure to the elements and can be in bad shape. There's another thread discussing locating/dealing with them. I had mine replaced with soft lines since they were rotting/leaking.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

CHT Sensor help Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHT Sensor help   CHT Sensor help Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 10:24 pm

djathens wrote:
If you have a rear heater also check the hard lines to the rear heater core, as those get a lot of exposure to the elements and can be in bad shape. There's another thread discussing locating/dealing with them. I had mine replaced with soft lines since they were rotting/leaking.

Since removing my rear heater matrix (a heater that had recently been used in a system with brand new Toyota red coolant) and observing the amount of silt that came out of it I'd recommend blasting it out with a hose from both directions when you get the chance. I suspect both forward rads also need the same treatment.

The primary cause of overheated Hiaces appears to be the viscous fan and the 1kz-te's temperature gauge failing to warn the driver until it's too late. I did a thread of eliminating the huge dead spot in the middle but a warning buzzer + lamp would make it far safer as one can't always watch the dials.

Any ideas on the correct response to an overheat? Shutting off immediately is the obvious option but stopping to idle is better in some cases - perhaps the key is to set the alarm low and then watch an undamped temperature gauge that allows you to stop at idle and see if it goes up or down then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CHT Sensor help Empty
PostSubject: Re: CHT Sensor help   CHT Sensor help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CHT Sensor help
Page 1 of 1