Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help! - Brake Lights stuck on

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AinWarhol
Not so new now
Not so new now
AinWarhol

Number of posts : 25
Home City : Austin, TX, USA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited
KZH100
Registration date : 2018-12-06

Help! - Brake Lights stuck on Empty
PostSubject: Help! - Brake Lights stuck on   Help! - Brake Lights stuck on Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Well my recently imported 93 Super Custom Limited rolled off the truck at my place a few days ago and I've noticed that the brake lights stay lit, no matter what, and it's killing the battery. It doesn't matter if brake pedal is pressed, lights turned on or off, ignition on or off, those lights (including the "third" brake light up top) stay on.

I've had to disconnect the battery when not in use to avoid the lights draining it again. Any ideas on what may be causing it?

Is there a switch on the brake pedal that might be stuck? Or is this a symptom of a bad relay/fuse? I won't be able to pass inspection like this unfortunately, which is required to get the title transferred to my name, so I need to fix this ASAP. Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Help! - Brake Lights stuck on   Help! - Brake Lights stuck on Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 5:27 pm

I think the brake circuit is always active so it sounds like your switch is either

a) faulty
or
b) needs adjusting.

It's right next to the brake pedal and simple to adjust and test, but it helps if you are a contortionist or can employ a small child.
Back to top Go down
AinWarhol
Not so new now
Not so new now
AinWarhol

KZH100

PostSubject: Re: Help! - Brake Lights stuck on   Help! - Brake Lights stuck on Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks GPW, I'll look into it when I get home from work tonight and see if I can convince my 7yo to crawl back there Laughing
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Help! - Brake Lights stuck on   Help! - Brake Lights stuck on Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 pm

This happened with mine a while back. There was a little pad which makes contact between the switch and the pedal. This had fallen off - I don't remember if it was on the switch or the pedal, but it was easy to glue back on, and if it can't be found, a substitute scrap of rubber, or similar, does the job.
Back to top Go down
jafo843
Not so new now
Not so new now
jafo843

Number of posts : 67
Home City : Charleston, SC USA
Model and year : 1992 LH107 Super Custom
1994 LH119 Cruising Cabin
Registration date : 2018-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Help! - Brake Lights stuck on   Help! - Brake Lights stuck on Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 pm

Just had the exact same problem.  I paid $4 for Toyota part #9054106036. You would do just as well to glue a piece of rubber to the pedal arm like MalL said.

Help! - Brake Lights stuck on Brake_10
Back to top Go down
AinWarhol
Not so new now
Not so new now
AinWarhol

KZH100

PostSubject: Re: Help! - Brake Lights stuck on   Help! - Brake Lights stuck on Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2018 2:11 am

Thanks jafo843! This is indeed what had happened to mine as well. I rigged a plastic trim clip in there for now which does the trick, hopefully long enough to get passed inspection this weekend. I've also already ordered the same part you mentioned, which will take up to 2 weeks to get here but will be a more permanent solution. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! - Brake Lights stuck on   Help! - Brake Lights stuck on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help! - Brake Lights stuck on
Page 1 of 1