Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What in the world are these?

Go down 
+2
GPW
toldsimply
6 posters
AuthorMessage
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

What in the world are these? Empty
PostSubject: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 12:32 pm

While playing under the van the other week I found a series of water pipes (?), that are seriously corroded. They run left to right a little bit behind where the driver and front passenger seats are. It also looks like they have been seeping a bit too. Does anyone know what these are called as I need to replace them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 12:35 pm

What in the world are these? 20180912What in the world are these? 20180912What in the world are these? 20180912
What in the world are these? 20180913What in the world are these? 20180912
What in the world are these? 20180913
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 12:36 pm

This is the first time I've posted pictures up, and there's a few duplicates there!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 5:38 pm

Not sure, your 2.8 is slightly different from mine. You need to follow them!
Maybe possible by looking in from the top with a torch?

Possible candidates are:

A/C pipes
Coolant (heater) pipes
Automatic transmission coolant pipes
Oil cooler pipes

Find out what's the stuff on the ends - oil? Coolant? Careful of coolant, it's toxic.
I've got no going from side to side after the engine on mine.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Rear heater coolant pipes, mine has them too, on the drivers side behind the big side trim panel is the rear heater blower, I assume the pipes will route through somehow for rear heating, I undershield the crap out of mine along with the underside of the floor
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 2:21 am

Those look like rear heater core lines. Mine are corroded too and were leaking at the junction heading up into the rear passenger area. I bypassed the circuit to stop the leaks until my upcoming service where the hard lines will get replaced with soft lines.

What in the world are these? 20181017

What in the world are these? 20181016
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 9:44 am

If you look in the engine bay (under the drivers seat panel!!) you can see the coolant take-off points for that entire circuit. A possible option for the energetic would be to take the side panel off completely and remove ALL the relevant piping, radiator and airbox and replace it with a diesel warm air heater that could be integrated to the existing fan switch.

This upgrade costs about £130 and a certain amount of effort but may provide a better solution.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-2000W-LCD-Monitor-Air-Diesel-Heater-PLANAR-2KW-for-Car-Trucks-Motor-Homes-UK/142935606385

A small 8mm brass T piece into the fuel feed hose next to the tank would provide a suitable source of fuel.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2018 4:43 am

I have a Planar and like it, but only with the thermostat. It is nice for a campervan when standing still.

However in this case you may just want to fix it if you travel more often with people in the back seat.
It is just piping that can be replaced by universal stuff. You could just buy long hoses ajd replace or bypass all the metal ones, right from the T section in the engine compartment.

Our lwb hiace with sliding windows everywhere can be cold in the back while in the front seats it is fine.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks guys. Haven't checked the board for a while but great explanations, thank you.

So just to confirm I'd be okay to replace the metal piping with strong rubber stuff.

Can't say I use the rear heat often, but when the kids sit in the back during the cooler months it's dead useful. Wouldn't get that in a VW (I think)!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2018 3:03 pm

toldsimply wrote:
Thanks guys.  Haven't checked the board for a while but great explanations, thank you.  

So just to confirm I'd be okay to replace the metal piping with strong rubber stuff.

Can't say I use the rear heat often, but when the kids sit in the back during the cooler months it's dead useful. Wouldn't get that in a VW (I think)!

Yes, just get quality heater hose of the right size and some clamps. Maybe use two clamps together as when you cut the metal pipe there will be no 'flare' left on it.

Some VWs have rear heating, at the camper show last month once you got into to £55k - £67k bracket they even had blown air heating, much like the bigger luxury Ducato camper class at £45k.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm

I can't get over the price of a VW campervan compared to a motorhome. Does seem like daylight robbery by VW.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 2:03 pm

toldsimply wrote:
I can't get over the price of a VW campervan compared to a motorhome. Does seem like daylight robbery by VW.  

Yes, I am constantly amazed how much they are.

But I think you are paying for the heritage too, a lot of things are carried forward through the models. For instance the T6's inherit from the T5 the paint finish issues, the leaking EGR coolant into the engine and gearbox and the leaking sliding side windows.
Also the camper has the porta-loo, so much more adventurous than the bigger campers and their boring cassettes.

The T6 also has of course the Euro-6 diesel, what you get from VW however is randomly leaking inlet air systems that over-fuel the engine filling up the DFP with soot, which then needs constant 'regeneration' which kills the fuel economy even more.

All the bigger Fiat Ducato has to compete is boring reliability and much more space and load carrying for a lower price that uses about the same amount of fuel as a well sorted VW.

I guess that's why we got Toyotas, I'm driving mine around as much as possible now before the winter sets in, it's quite a fun drive and I like the high seating position!
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2018 1:44 pm

I hear you GPW!

I spent ages researching VW vans and following the herd. Must have read VW camper and Bus magazine for 3 years. It always seemed to articles about what to do WHEN you break down. Fell over the Hiace's and have never looked back. It's my daily driver and I love it. Except when there's lots of uphill's!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 6:44 pm

As an update to this I have now removed my rear heater and those metal tubes you have there. This is because I've removed the interior side panels and will be fitting a 2kw 'parking' diesel heater in that area as part of my camper conversion, a decision of crushing inevitability

Now I can see the jubilee clip is non-standard and yes it's seeping coolant.

I have a spare set of those metal tubes now BTW if you want them, they are rust free but the odd end is slightly oval where I got the rubber pipes off.
My advice however is this:

1. When you disconnect the pipes push up a hosepipe and flush the heater matrix, quite a bit of sediment came out of mine and that's despite recently changing the coolant.

2. Don't use metal, use decent 15mm plastic straight connectors and rubber hose, there is no reason for any metal to be down there in that area at all.

Hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks GPW. I'm tempted to buy your metal tubes, but then I could be in the same boat needing to replace them again in a few years (although as far as I know the first lot have done 24 years but a lot of that was in Japan without the salt on the road. where would be the best place to source some decent rubber hose do you think?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2018 2:49 pm

eBay has a huge selection of quality coolant hose and plastic in-line connectors so I'd use those instead of more metal, it makes no sense to me to use metal there, even the heater valve is plastic.

The pipe is 14mm so if you get that or 15mm coolant tube and some connectors if would be fine.

I think you'd only need a couple of metres of hose and 2 or 3 straight connectors and a set of appropriately sized stainless steel clips, and maybe one or two appropriately sized stainless P-clips to hold the pipe to the van.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 8:32 am

I think it's time to tackle the heater pipes do you think this stuff would be good? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN10-10-10AN-14mm-PTFE-Teflon-Lined-Stainless-Braided-Hose-Fuel-Oil-Coolant/362128034146?hash=item5450834962:m:mVWax4MCFmNmGCoHYdayfJQ
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 10:12 am

I'd just stick with simple rubber heater hose, the braided stuff isn't better and can be tricky to work with. Keep it cheap and simple down there, just remember to use P clips to stop it flapping about.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2019 12:53 pm

Okay, so the excitement builds. I have the hose, I have the attachments in 14mm. How many litres of coolant will I need and am I looking for official Toyota red coolant like the following? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323843428864
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2019 4:21 pm

What in the world are these? Screen16
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Thanks for the info. I ended up doing the repair a weekend early as on arrival in Pembrokeshire after a 200 mile journe, last weekend, I could see the leak had accelerated quite a bit. I can't say I enjoyed titting around under the van but I swapped out all the metal pipe work so the other bits that were not yet badly corroded wouldn't cause me issues down the line.
Back to top Go down
Moonroofed
Moonroofed

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : 1995 1kz-te
Registration date : 2023-11-04

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 7:24 am

Anyone got photos of what they used to replace the coolant lines/any product recommendations?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What in the world are these?   What in the world are these? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What in the world are these?
Page 1 of 1