Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Oil filler cap problem - take preventative measures?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Andonic
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 37
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Oil filler cap problem - take preventative measures?   Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:03 am

Hi there My oil filler cap came off on the motorway and it was some time before I realised. Luckily the engine seems okay but oil sprayed everywhere. Still trying to get it out where it has soaked into the lining under the middle seat. Luckily the oil cap didn't get lost completely and I continued the journey checking it every few miles. I could tighten it to a certain point but going beyond that would take it off the thread. I knew it wasn't perfect and I was an idiot not to replace sooner.

It seems the filler cap was worn and was not tightening down properly. A new one for 20 (p/n 1280-70020 for my 1991 2.8 diesel). But they do separately sell just the rubber sealing ring for about 3 (12195-70010). I would really advise checking this.

Inchcape (Battersea) in London seem pretty good for parts but it is always the next day or the day after.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Oil filler cap problem - take preventative measures?   Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Sorry to hear about the oil cap. The important thing is the engine is still going.
You can use brake cleaner to clean up the engine block and surrounds of the oil as the cleaner evaporates off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.richleemusic.com

Oil filler cap problem - take preventative measures?
Page 1 of 1