Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter Empty
PostSubject: Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter   Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi All,

Looks like I still have a fuel starvation issue on my van, I fixed two leaks (one on the pump and one on the primer pump) but when driving over about 70kmh a vacuum is building up in the feed pipe between the fuel in the tank and the primer pump - enough to actually pull the pump handle down and eventually stop the engine.

So - has anyone had this before?
Has anyone replaced their tank pickup filter?
Has anyone got at the tank level sender - is it a hatch inside the van or does the tank itself need to be dropped?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
katana
katana

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Doncaster, UK
Model and year : '98 KCH40 Hiace Regius (owned for 12 Mths)
'88 LH61 Hiace (Owned for 18yrs now sold)
Registration date : 2018-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter   Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2018 9:06 am

I had this on my LH61, right after I changed to veg oil diesel. Filter in tank was so blocked that it eventually stopped. I dropped tank, cleaned filter, flushed tank with degreaser, blew out fuel lines & replace main filter. I never used veg oil again. Pretty straight forward job
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter   Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks Katana, much appreciated, I'll do exactly the same to mine, at least the tank looks straightforward to get to!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter   Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 7:47 pm

An update today, finally got some spare time with the van in the garage and removed the tank, not such a difficult thing once drained, although one does smell of diesel for the next few days.

There's actually a drain plug in the tank too. eBay sells some fantastic clear 25L stackable containers for £12 so I siphoned what I could through a filter into the car and drained the rest via the plug.

So after getting the tank out, dusting it with the hoover and marvelling at Toyota's precision seam welding I opened up the pickup/return to see this:

Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter Pickup Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter FilterFuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter Baffles

Incidentally the tank sender is in a different hole in the middle and can be accessed (and unplugged and replaced) from inside the van: there's a little door that you prize up at the back to get to that.

So it's clear now what was stopping my van, can't blame Toyota either: a serious contaminent is in there and will require some inventive tank washing to get it out. lso I need a new pickup filter if that one doesn't clean up well.

So if you find you have a vacuum between your engine and tank (detected by the primer pump handle being sucked down when your van loses power) you may care to look at the tank.

No idea if it's old diesel bug or rust from a rusty pump, the tank itself looks fine, just full of filthy stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter   Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel starvation / blockage - changing the tank pickup filter
Page 1 of 1