Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hiace Snorkel

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Hiace Snorkel Empty
PostSubject: Hiace Snorkel   Hiace Snorkel Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 2:11 pm

Hey, first post here.

I've found an eBay listing for Super Custom snorkels and thought it might be helpful for anyone chasing one.
Thinking of buying one, so I'll reply in this thread with some photos if I do.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Hiace-Snorkel/253600930261
Back to top Go down
Mowerman

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Northampton
Registration date : 2018-05-07

Hiace Snorkel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace Snorkel   Hiace Snorkel Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2018 1:57 pm

Helpful for the Southern Hemisphere, but I bought one from Hiace Hobo in the UK for £120 delivered
Back to top Go down
Mowerman

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Northampton
Registration date : 2018-05-07

Hiace Snorkel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace Snorkel   Hiace Snorkel Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Helpful for the Southern Hemisphere, but I bought one from Hiace Hobo in the UK for £120 delivered
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

Hiace Snorkel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace Snorkel   Hiace Snorkel Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2019 4:24 pm

For anyone who has one of these installed, does the snorkel make any wind noise when going down the highway?
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

Hiace Snorkel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace Snorkel   Hiace Snorkel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 2:37 am

djathens wrote:
For anyone who has one of these installed, does the snorkel make any wind noise when going down the highway?

Maybe a bit, but it is more important that these snorkels can generate quite a lot of (engine) noise next to where you are sitting. I think this is even worse for the models like ours where it is just the diesel engine without turbo.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Hiace Snorkel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace Snorkel   Hiace Snorkel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 9:05 am

Thanks for sharing that info Hiace4wd! My primary purpose was to get the air intake further away from the road surface to pull cooler air in the summer months. Do you or anybody else have an idea of the positive impact on engine temperatures when using the snorkel? I imagine it's positive, but to the degree that it is worth the expense and the extra noise?
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Hiace Snorkel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace Snorkel   Hiace Snorkel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm

I don't think it will matter much. Even without the snorkel the air intake is already outside. And even filter housing is outside of engine compartment.
Having it a few feet or one meter higher won't make much difference.

Next to that, it should not make the difference in keeping your engine cool.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

Hiace Snorkel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace Snorkel   Hiace Snorkel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 2:13 pm

So I guess the main use case for the snorkel is to cut down on dust clogging up the filter? Seeing as how it's not a watertight setup for fording streams.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Hiace Snorkel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace Snorkel   Hiace Snorkel Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Yes it will help against dust, and water. I agree that, without modifications, it may not be a solution that lets you ford through rivers all day long. But it should do the job nicely. If only because any wave will be taken into the standard intake.

On the other hand, I rarely have occassions where I go that deep. And with standard air filter housing there is actually a plastic box next to it which allows for a few sips of water, and which has a drain plug.

Next to that, I put my Hiave through the worst roads of Asia with the snorkel, and still had lots of dust in the air filter.

So maybe the snorkel is a bit overrated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hiace Snorkel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiace Snorkel   Hiace Snorkel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiace Snorkel
Page 1 of 1