Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Empty
PostSubject: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Had the dash panel off again this weekend as I swapped the subaru double din for a sony out of a celica, whilst out I took the speedo, rev counter binnacle out to remove the bulb out warning as I can't figure out which bulb it is, but now I can't get the speedo drive back on the back of the speedo, to me it's almost impossible as you can't get your hand behind and there's not enough slack in the cable to pull up to the speedo

Anyone done it? How the heck do you do it
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 9:56 pm

What do you mean by 'speedo drive'?
Mine just have about 4 or 5 electrical plugs into the back of it, the speed is electrical.

Is your's a mechanical drive one? Any pics?
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Well I thought that too, I've had the binnacle out before and not had this issue, maybe just luck, I'll get photo so you can see problem is mot is booked this Saturday so pressure on a bit
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2018 10:42 am

It should look like this on the back
Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  IMG_20180421_221913800c

Usually I reach in from the open drivers door so my right hand can reach around to the 4 plugs and plug them in.
Before you fit it back you may want to test all the bulbs work, although your deadline may preclude that.

My MOT is on thursday, good luck with yours!!
Remember to take the note about the front suspension (ask them to jack it on the lower wishbones as Toyota recommends: as the torsion bar acts on the top arm so the van always has that pressing down in use.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Mine goes in for his MOT and service on Thursday too!
Yesterday was some welding around the front drivers side wheel arch. Turns out that 3 years on from the full respray every screw that was holding the plastic trim onto the wheel arch (holds the carpet edge down and hides the chassis number bit) had rusted out. Only realised it when hoovering the foot well and it was sodden.
Today it's having the cambelt done. An expensive week.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2018 1:50 pm

It's a busy MOT day for Hiaces then!

Not many people realise (it appears) that Japanese JDM stuff arrives from Japan

a) Usually without any rust
but
b) Without the usual european rustproofing that Toyota apply for that export market

Then they drive them around like Euro spec vehicles and they rust out. I learned this studying the Mazda Bongo forums before I opted for the Hiace but it's the same for all JDM cars I think,

I even have an official Toyota 'How to rustproof your Toyota Hiace' manual supplement on my PC to tell you how to do it, which if mine ever goes near salt or poor weather will get used - along with a lot of Waxoyl and a sprayer system.

Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  DSC_0934
Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  DSC_0935
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Wow that's completely different!!!!

I can see your problem. It could be that the cable has slipped down a bit and is caught on a protrusion so it needs a bit of jiggling to free it and give you the extra length you need to play with.

Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 8:04 pm

I've tried, absolutely no slack anywhere and it disappears through the floor, tried taking air vents out, stereo out just can't get behind it to fit the cable
Back to top Go down
Mowerman

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Northampton
Registration date : 2018-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Daft question but would it not just pass the MOT without the speedo working?
There is no need to road test the vehicle these days.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 8:56 pm

I know I don't need it for the mot but I do want it work h again so whilst it's apart I gotta get creative or slice my hand in half to get access 😂
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 9:18 pm

mickB wrote:
I've tried, absolutely no slack anywhere and it disappears through the floor, tried taking air vents out, stereo out just can't get behind it to fit the cable

Can you trace the end where it comes out of the gearbox and goes into the floor? It may be hung up under the van, or at least you could confirm the route it follows.
If you've managed to hook it up before it 'must' have come out further before.

If it's a question of tiny hands to access it could you ask a local kid to have a go?

Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 7:38 pm

done it Mad started taking clamps and clips off cable from gearbox end underneath, tried to get some slack still noting, so tried again getting hands behind clocks and low and behold got it connected, van was just testing me.......so put all the clips back on and tried it and yes have a speedo again
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Great news!!!
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 3:49 pm

How was the mot results mine got a pass only advisory being body has slight corrosion lol

Happy days
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 9:31 pm

mickB wrote:
How was the mot results mine got a pass only advisory being body has slight corrosion lol

Happy days

Failed on headlamp aim only.
I then found I could just order new ones from Toyota UK, who knew??

So I'll have another go next week with the old candle lamps refitted and the news ones turn up anyway in June regardless...
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2018 9:14 am

Not too bad really then GPW
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2018 9:16 am

I also had a good look underneath took some pictures of sump oil leak, that is not looking an easy one to fix
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2018 9:57 am

mickB wrote:
I also had a good look underneath took some pictures of sump oil leak, that is not looking an easy one to fix

This is the problem of not being able to take the sump off because the engine/frame is in the way?
Would a partial engine lift be enough if you could clear the front wheel and run an engine hoist in through the passenger door?

Maybe start a new thread with the photos to see if anyone has a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??    Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speedo drive behind dash binnacle??
Page 1 of 1