Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

vehicle classification - car or van?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
redcore4
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 30
Home City : Manchester
Model and year : super custom 2.4TD manual - 1992
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: vehicle classification - car or van?   Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 pm

So... My insurance this year is over £1200, even without commuting or commercial use, and with VERY limited mileage. Has anyone got a super custom (not a camper) import classified as a car in the UK? Seems like it should be a car because of having side windows and seats and therefore being built as a passenger vehicle but it's a bit of a grey area and I think it can vary at the point of import?

Failing that - if i add a table and the other gubbins required to make it a camper, will my insurance go down if i get it reclassified?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 225
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:22 pm

I have a 92 super custom too, my insurance this year was £400 fully comp, limited miles, agreed value and mods declared
When I bought it 2 years ago I struggled with it having 8 seats as most insurers classed it as a mini bus, so I took the single middle seat out and then being 7 seats it's an mpv instead. Ive since the middle 2 seat out aswell as it just got in the way,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 728
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:47 pm

mickB wrote:
I have a 92 super custom too, my insurance this year was £400 fully comp, limited miles, agreed value and mods declared
When I bought it 2 years ago I struggled with it having 8 seats as most insurers classed it as a mini bus, so I took the single middle seat out and then being 7 seats it's an mpv instead. Ive since the middle 2 seat out aswell as it just got in the way,

That's interesting, I didn't know there was a difference between 7 and 8 seats.
I've taken the tiny one out too anyway as it just got in the way so mines also a 7 seater MPV now Smile

What company did you use?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:58 pm

I think I'm with HIC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redcore4
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:48 am

I'm with Adrian Flux as they're the only ones who will insure a vehicle of the age and size of mine. †Called literally every other company i could find but they won't do classic or passenger car insurance on a commercial vehicle (as specified in the V5). I want to keep the 8th seat in place, it's useful (for the time being) to have it. †I have 10 yrs no claims applied BEFORE they get the £1250ish price :'(

So I was wondering if the light goods classification i'd got on the log was correct - or whether it might have come about because mine is a manual and most of the passenger ones were autos? (i'm actually not sure - is mine the only manual 92 SC in the country now??)

I knew the 8th seat made a difference because i got a £300 price hike when they brought that in a few years ago, but last year's insurance tax increase really killed it. †seems unfair when i can drive it without a minibus license but the insurers aren't properly regulated so that's how it is. i love this van and would rather not sell but seeing as i have another vehicle to commute, it's getting VERY expensive to keep it as largely a driveway ornament...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redcore4
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:50 am

also interesting: they will insist on insuring it as a commercial vehicle whilst at the same time specifying on the insurance docs that i am not allowed to use it for commercial or commuting purposes. grr.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:59 pm

to be honest mine is also a driveway ornament, I've done less than 1000 miles since last year in it, hopefully this bodes well for the MOT next month.

I'll check my log book later at home as mine is also a 92 SC 2.4TD but auto model
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 151
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:04 pm

It could be when it got imported (if it is imported) they got the classification wrong which could be what is killing your insurance. With 8 seats it's an MPV surely?

If all else fails do the minimum to get it re-classed as a camper and you're insurance will drop like a stone. I'm insured for domestic and commuting for £220 fully comp insuring via the camping and caravanning club. Your rear seats fold down to make a bed already.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.richleemusic.com
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Just checked mine, its classed as MPV PLG Hiace
Maybe it's something when they are registered over here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redcore4
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Mine just says PLG on the documentation - no mention of MPV so i think that might be the issue. MPVs count as cars for insurance. but most of the other fields arenít even filled in so I suspect a partial job of registering it was done when it was imported. Iíll have to work out how to get it changed....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redcore4
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:43 pm

Also considering getting a minibus driving license to simplify the whole thing... but thatís pretty expensive too. Having one of my vehicles classed as commercial and one as domestic means they wonít allow me to use my no claims on both so that doesnít help. Total insurance last year was £1800! No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redcore4
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:23 pm

update:
The very nice lady at the DVLA said that she thinks the problem is that although the tax class (PLG) is right, the body type is listed as "van" on the log book. She guessed (as I did) that whoever filled in the import forms didn't really know what they were doing.

Is anyone else's listed as a different body type? Apparently this is independent from the number of seats - as the number of seats isn't listed on my form anyway.

Also does anyone have anything listed under part D2 Type (variant or version)? or J - Vehicle category? Those are also blank on my log.

I'm going to write to the DVLA and try and get the log changed but they need evidence and I suspect that I will have to tell them what it should say and provide evidence if possible to get it changed. I'm sending the specs from ToyoDIY and a bunch of photos of the van but I'd like to know what the details on the log ought to be so I know what to ask for...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:47 pm

My renewal from hic was £448 shopped around got brentachre for exactly same criteria for £220
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: vehicle classification - car or van?   

Back to top Go down

vehicle classification - car or van?
Page 1 of 1