Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sanvexy

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Denver
Model and year : 1991 Hiace 3l diesel 4x4
LH119
Registration date : 2018-02-22

swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Empty
PostSubject: swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace   swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2018 10:49 pm

Anyone know of swivel bases that can be used for the driver side or passenger side seats in a 1991 Hiace?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace   swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 12:02 am

The issue of the super-custom is that there's no room for the seat to physically swing round, is there room on the 1991 model?

The only swivel I've seen is for the latest models and has a pop-up - then turn mechanism, it was on youtube.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace   swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 7:00 am

that is one thing I do miss from my VW T4, had swivel seat on the passenger side and pulling up somewhere in the rain then just pulling the lever ans swivelling round was ace
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace   swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 11:30 am

The lack of swivel is not a hiace thing though, it's a cab-forward thing, the hiace model with the engine forward can use swivel chairs.

What I'll end up doing is removing the box between the seats so I can scramble back to the van - the dash has locations for the switches anyway - it's just a matter of wiring, but multiplugs are available on eBay so it's not such a big job.

I've been reading about the many (often rust and mechanicals related) woes of the T4, T5 and T6 and have concluded that the VW vans have too many problems to consider and cost too much anyway. When I modernise one day I'll be going for something like the Renault Trafic - a good spec new one is around £23k OTR - to match the spec I'd be on around £35k with VW.

BTW the economy of the Hiace is pretty good compared to the T6, the DPF and old engine design make it pretty thirsty - we're lucky to miss that!

So I'd consider relocating the centre box - I certainly want to be able to get from the front to the back (and return) when it's raining Smile.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace   swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 9:58 am

mine was a 1993 T4 1.9d the very lowest spec Laughing and I built it up to a full day van/weekend camper, the only thing missing was the night heater. I just didn't use it enough and got fed up with the size of it whereas the Hiace is much more day to day friendly being smaller and more car like and the extras over a VW is amazing so I won't be going back anytime soon, just need to get the suspension finished and get the split charge kit installed, also want to do the mod to the roofs where you can open without having the ignition on
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace   swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 12:31 pm

mickB wrote:
mine was a 1993 T4 1.9d the very lowest spec Laughing and I built it up to a full day van/weekend camper, the only thing missing was the night heater. I just didn't use it enough and got fed up with the size of it whereas the Hiace is much more day to day friendly being smaller and more car like and the extras over a VW is amazing so I won't be going back anytime soon, just need to get the suspension finished and get the split charge kit installed, also want to do the mod to the roofs where you can open without having the ignition on

Found the thread for you:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t2434-moonroof-beeper-roof-liner-removal

Note that I don't know if it uses a tiny current all the time due to this mod, I should probably check as I have a clamp current meter now (about £12 from HongKong, very nice though). I have a battery switch on mine so most of the time the van is dead.

The wires to the control box are fairly generous so I'll be relocating the box to a more accessible position nearer the vent hole as it's a useful box to be able to get hold of without having to strip the roof down. If you do have the lining down you may also want to insulate the gap a bit before sticking it back up, I had a basic idea of using a single duvet, sewing round and cutting out holes for the moon roofs.

Interesting what you say about the size, the Hiace is such a great shape and size, no other van can match it for that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sanvexy

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Denver
Model and year : 1991 Hiace 3l diesel 4x4
LH119
Registration date : 2018-02-22

PostSubject: captains chairs   swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Not sure I have the height for swivel chairs. I like the idea of removing the center box but will need captains chairs with arm rests. Anything special I need to know before purchasing new seats?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace   swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 4:42 pm

If you are looking at new seats you may wish to open the engine cover (that holds the passenger seat on) and look where the 4 bolt holes are because they are not in a rectangular configuration.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace   swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 10:28 pm

BTW I found this info about a DIY passenger seat 'swivel'. Not ideal but it could lead to other ideas perhaps.

http://www.hiacehobo.com/2015/10/hiace-camper-van-reversed-passenger.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace   swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

swivel captains chairs 1991 Hiace
Page 1 of 1