Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mechanical issue ??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Number of posts : 38
Home City : London
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Custom 4x4
Cruising Cabin 1994
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Mechanical issue ?? Empty
PostSubject: Mechanical issue ??   Mechanical issue ?? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 7:31 am

Hello

Can someone please help? My lovely Campervan (Matilda) has developed a new sound that keeps kinda whirring when i turn the engine off.
The engine stops normally but something else seems to keep going for a minute or maybe longer until finally stopping.

I have a Toyota factory Campervan (November 1994) with a 2779cc 3L engine that i purchased in 2009, she's still in excellent condition and i intend to keep her that way.

Help please.

Toyboy.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical issue ??   Mechanical issue ?? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Could it just be the engine fan spinning down afterwards? It's a viscous coupling so there is no rigid fixing so it's free to spin down afterwards.
Back to top Go down
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Cruising Cabin 1994

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical issue ??   Mechanical issue ?? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2018 4:50 am

Hi

Thanks for the quick response, I've just checked and the engine fan stops pretty much just after i stop the engine but something else keeps rattling on for a while then slows down and stops.

Thanks for your input though and if you have any other ideas please let me know.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 413
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical issue ??   Mechanical issue ?? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2018 8:36 am

If it has two radiators it could be the electric fan on the horizontal one, if not it can only be the heater fan check both.
Back to top Go down
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Cruising Cabin 1994

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical issue ??   Mechanical issue ?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 am

Mechanical issue ?? Inkedp10

Hello

Can someone help? I seem to have some sort of guide/runner that keeps going for a while after the engine has been switched off (see Photo) it has only just started to do this and i am slightly worried that it may lead to something else.
The belt seems to drive this thing round and when i turn the engine off the belt slackens so no longer touches it?
It has me baffled.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical issue ??   Mechanical issue ?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 8:54 am

Ah - interesting!!

That's supposed to guide the belt, if it's running free then the belt doesn't seem quite right to me - the belt should press against it so it should stop with the belt.....

...but here is a diagram that has an idler just touching - so it may be all OK, if the condition + tension of the belt is fine and everything works it's probably nothing to worry about.

See if your engine matches one of the diagrams:
http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=136&fig=1605

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical issue ??   Mechanical issue ?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 9:14 am

ETA
Mechanical issue ?? 711140_1605_0001

Key:
AL: Alternator
CC: Cooler Compressor (AC)
CK: Crankshaft
IP: Idler pulley
PS: Power-Steering
TE: Tensioner
VP: Vane pump
WP: Water Pump

Looking at the diagram it seems yours could be the top-right diagram. In there it seems the idler is simply to stop the belt resonating into the close by WP (waterpump) pulley on the longest length, to prevent belt wear as the pulley is travelling the opposite way at that point.

So as long as the AC is working it should be fine, you may just want to spin your idler by hand to check the bearings are good.
Back to top Go down
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Cruising Cabin 1994

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical issue ??   Mechanical issue ?? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 am

Hi GPW

And big thanks for that information I really do appreciate your input here.
I took Matilda to my regular mechanic who has serviced her for the last 6 years to check it out and you have confirmed in more detail what he said, the belt is not overly worn in any way and as long as everything is still working then he like you can see no real problem.
Thanks for the diagrams that give a much better understanding of what is happening, they will go in Matildas file and help me get to know my van even better.

Thank you.

toyboy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mechanical issue ??   Mechanical issue ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mechanical issue ??
Page 1 of 1