Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

91 SCL in Florida

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RivercityHiace
RivercityHiace

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Jacksonville, FL
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited
2.4L Turbo Diesel
2WD Automatic
RHD
Registration date : 2018-01-05

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 pm

Hey All!
This past August I purchased a 1991 JDM Super Custom Limited 2.4L EFI Turbo Diesel with just over 55k miles.

I feel pretty lucky in this find. All original interior, trim and electronics, including the original stereo head unit, zero rust on the body or underside, and zero body damage.

The only things currently not functioning is a small list including some of the rear power curtains, the front heater blows zero heat (although the rear blows fine), and there's a small yet persistent oil leak from somewhere in the motor/trans.

I'm having a hell of a time finding information on my motor and vehicle. Took me a little while to realize I didn't have the 2RZ-E motor but instead the 2L-TE motor that was specific to the Japan market. I found a repair manual for the 2RZ-E which has helped me troubleshoot my small problems thus far, but no luck finding a manual specific to 2L-TE.

Being my first diesel, I'm curious what to expect out of the motor and the sort of MPG's are common with a motor this size. It handles the highway fairly well, it'll easily cruise @ 70-75mph (112-120kmh) and get 19 MPG, but tops out a little over 83mph (+130kmh) while still around 3000rpm. Am I pushing this 4 cylinder too hard?  Should I be getting better mileage? I don't want to kill this motor trying to keep up on american highways.

Here it is, my SCL Ace, hopefully the images work.

91 SCL in Florida IMG_1306

91 SCL in Florida IMG_1324

91 SCL in Florida IMG_1312

Thanks for lookin!
JJ
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 12:24 pm

It looks nice! I have the very simple version of this engine, no computer no turbo.
I guess sticking around 110km/h should be fine, but 120km/h and faster might heat things up too much on the long run. Of course it is no problem to run at a high speed for a couple of minutes.
Also, if you want to get more than 19mpg then you should definitely drive slower. I think it can do better, but it is just about the speed. I also get that kind of numbers, but my engine is much less powerful.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am

By the way, the front heater working poorly can only be three things:

- Air in the system/heater or simply too low coolant level
- Sludge/dirt in the heater
- Not opening properly

That last one can be easily checked. Have someone sit in the car shoving the heat control from hot to cold and back. Go under the car, and check right behind the front bumper, there are two coolant lines going up, and there you will see the metal cable from the dashboard. See if it moves.

I had sludge / dirt build up in the heater. I left the heater in the dashboard, I just put the a garden hose on of the coolant lines going to the heater. And have the other end dropping in a bucket.
Make sure to open the heater, and then open the garden hose tap at full power. A lot of brown stuff came out. Just stop when clear water is coming out.
After that is working perfectly again.
Back to top Go down
RivercityHiace
RivercityHiace

2.4L Turbo Diesel
2WD Automatic
RHD

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 7:04 am

Hiace4wd wrote:
By the way, the front heater working poorly can only be three things:

- Air in the system/heater or simply too low coolant level
- Sludge/dirt in the heater
- Not opening properly

That last one can be easily checked. Have someone sit in the car shoving the heat control from hot to cold and back. Go under the car, and check right behind the front bumper, there are two coolant lines going up, and there you will see the metal cable from the dashboard. See if it moves.

I've been trying to figure how to check that. All the threads I've found have said what the problem could be, but no one has yet to mention how to inspect it. Thanks for saving me a few hours of awkward gawking under my new van!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 am

Hi, I had just one question for myself. Since you have a 2L-TE in there with a 2wd, I was wondering if you could measure the space between engine block and fender board as in the picture below?
While I'm writing this, I realize you would have to take of the cover to do it properly, that is too much to ask. Maybe that is not necessary and you can stick a ruler between through the opening to get a rough idea to see if it is much more space than in picture below:

91 SCL in Florida 24470168408_067da16e20_b

This is because of how to do the air tubing when fitting a turbo (to a non-turbo). The 2wd is supposed to have more space between wheel arch and engine.
Back to top Go down
Ace MM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 49
Home City : California USA
Model and year : 1990 Super Custom 4WD Diesel LH107
Registration date : 2016-10-12

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 4:54 am

Not the same motor, but I get low 20s with a 4wd and stay ~105kph / 3000 rpm's.
I get passed by semi trucks on most hills.

Clean the curtain rails and be sure the switch works. Mine needed some lube too.
Back to top Go down
RivercityHiace
RivercityHiace

2.4L Turbo Diesel
2WD Automatic
RHD

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2018 11:02 pm

It's quite a different view from the other side but here's what it looks like for me. Let me know if this is what you had in mind.

91 SCL in Florida IMG_1554
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 6:56 am

Thanks! I will see if I can check the size there.
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

Number of posts : 28
Home City : Vancouver BC Canada
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom
3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
30" x 9.50-15 BFG All Terrain tires
4 man Roof Top Tent
Registration date : 2016-04-15

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 1:11 am

Hello. I have a 1991 LH107 here in Canada. Mine has the 3L engine, 2.8 liter non-turbo, cast iron block and cast iron head. I didn't know the 2L-TE engine (2.4 liter turbo diesel with cast block and aluminum head) came with the Hiace.

If I were you I would watch the engine temperature very carefully. The last thing you want to do is overheat this engine. Make sure you let the engine cool down after a hot highway run BEFORE you shut the engine off. Or install a turbo timer that does this automatically for you. If the 2L-TE engine in a HiAce behaves anything like it does in the Prado LJ-78 Landcruisers or Surfs be very wary of over heating. Head gasket / head failures are very common, especially with North American speeds and hills and long distance driving. The standard fix seems to be to install a cast iron 3L head onto these 2L-TE engines once you have head issues / overheating issues.

One other preventative piece of instrumentation is to install a pyrometer gauge to measure the head temperatures.

Make sure your radiator is clean and flushed and filled with glycol / water mix. I would be interested to know what years the Hiace came with the 2L-TE.
Cheers,
Roman
Back to top Go down
RivercityHiace
RivercityHiace

2.4L Turbo Diesel
2WD Automatic
RHD

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 3:13 am

nikalex wrote:
I didn't know the 2L-TE engine came with the Hiace.....I would be interested to know what years the Hiace came with the 2L-TE.

If I were you I would watch the engine temperature very carefully. Head gasket / head failures are very common, especially with North American speeds and hills and long distance driving.

Hey Roman,
All I've read since buying this van is the possibility of overheating. With that in mind, once warmed up the engine temp gauge never rises past half. Even after several all day interstate drives.
Am I in the clear? Or is overheating something that will develop over time, or become a problem suddenly? Would there be warning signs prior to overheating(like smoke when starting)?
Luckily it already has a turbo timer installed, so I've been doing my best to not only warm it up properly before driving but also letting it cool down thoroughly at the end of each drive.

As far as the 2L-TE, from what I know about Hiace's (which isn't all that much) the 2L-TE/Hiace combo was only for the Japanese market. That might be specific to the Hiace only though, because the 2L-TE was also used in 4runner's and Hilux's, but I don't know if that was limited to Japan.
Wikipedia says the 2L-TE was used in the 4th gen Hiace, 89-04, but I doubt it was available for all 15 years.

Thanks for the info!
JJ
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
4 man Roof Top Tent

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 4:11 am

Hello JJ.
My 1991 Hiace LH107 is 'obviously' also a Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) vehicle.
Did you get yours brought down to Florida from Canada?

It's great that you have the turbo timer. That will go a long way to ensuring no hot engine shut offs.
That turbo propelled by hot exhaust gases will overheat that thin layer of oil very very fast if allowed to do so.
I have had 3 Landcruisers - all LJ-78's with the 2L-TE engine. I never had any issues with them because I never allowed them to overheat.
But if I were to go up a typical BC mountain pass - and not gear down / slow down - they would all overheat in a heart beat.
Even my current Hiace (which I love) would overheat if I lug the engine in the summer going up a 15% grade long 20 kilometre climb.
I gear down manually and watch the temperature gauge like a hawk.

Off road, when I am in low range, there are no issues. IT will climb in low range all day long, in the summer, up a mountain - no issues.
I did just that last summer and was really impressed.

Have you got the common electronic manuals yet?
I have copies of them but they are really large files to email.
The common ones you should be able to find (in English) are RM520e and RM169e
Even though those aren't specific to a 2L-TE they will be very useful for your van.
Let me know if you can't find those online for free.

I love my Hiace and find it relatively easy to work on. I do all my own work.
Cheers, Roman

Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 7:04 am

I think it was only available for two years, 1994 to 1996 with the 2L-TE.

Roman, your non turbo van should not overheat. 20km with 15%, are you sure? You would end up 3km high, so is it continous?
Anyway, here in Europe there are several notorious stretches of highway going very steep. I can take those with our loaded campervan, 35 gedrees Celcius outside. I can go full throttle with our 2L and still it won't overheat, even though speed is declining. Maybe, if it would go on forever then at some point it would overheat, but I haven't seen it on holidays.

However if you keep at the throttle while speed isn't rising or even declining, the temperatures inside the engine will rise, it is not really recommended to do it for a long time. The temperature that rises would be the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT).
What some people do is install an EGT and then just drive with it as they want, as long as it is not exceeding an EGT of 1200 F.
I think you should flush your coolant system, possibly replace thermostat.

We don't use this water mixable coolant here, at least not as much. Because over the years it can leave residue. This also happened in my engine, and the residue clogged up the radiator. I could not even drive on a straight highway anymore without it overheating! We replaced the radiator and it is running without issues again.
Perhaps your radiator is clogged to.
We could notice that in some parts it was 90 degrees C and in other parts only 30 degrees C, so not flowing properly at all.

I am looking to put a turbo on mine, but if I do that, I will install an EGT sensor with an alarm threshold so it can beep (that I don't have to look all the time)
I'm also thinking about putting on intercooler to have cooler intake and exhaust temps (IGT, EGT) for the head, but I have to check out if that is possible in terms of where to place it and tubes running back and forth.
Back to top Go down
RivercityHiace
RivercityHiace

2.4L Turbo Diesel
2WD Automatic
RHD

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 4:39 am

nikalex wrote:
That turbo propelled by hot exhaust gases will overheat that thin layer of oil very very fast if allowed to do so.
I gear down manually and watch the temperature gauge like a hawk.

Have you got the common electronic manuals yet?
Even though those aren't specific to a 2L-TE they will be very useful for your van.

Roman,
My Hiace was brought in by an importer out of South Carolina. Japan Direct Motors to be exact, but I bought it from a person who bought it from them.
I'm lucky to live in a very flat part of the country, but that means trying to keep up with faster highway speeds. This little thing is quick for a 4 cylinder. I don't know if all automatic Hiaces come with the ECT switch, but that helps shift at higher RPM's when trying to navigate faster routes. It's a godsend! It also very easily goes 75/80 mph and maintains at a normal rpm. With that said, at that speed it has zero push up inclines and longer overpasses, it'll drop off 5-10 mph trying to charge up hills. So I don't push it too hard up inclines, but I let it fly on the flats.
I will say this about longer/faster trips (300+ miles), while the engine temp stays normal and cool it will burn off 1 quart or more of engine oil in a trip. This is my first diesel, and I've been told it's normal to some extent for the engine to burn off oil. But how much is too much? I make sure to check it often and keep oil on hand, is this just par for the course?

As far as manuals, I bought one (for $10 I think) off eBay from a guy in Australia. It's a pretty extensive 2RZ-E manual that covers 89-04. It has body repair manuals, electric wiring, new car features and more. It has the RM520e and RM169e manuals and several more. It's a huge PDF file and not labeled very well, so finding information is always a bit of a quest, but totally worth the $. I've only seen one 2LT-E manual for sale on ebay, it was $100 and all in japanese. So i think I'm happy with the 2RZ-E manual.

Have you had to do any major repairs yet? I'm not intimidated by the idea of doing repairs, just terrified about the potential headache of searching for parts. I have a mechanic for my daily driver and he was confident most repairs could be cross referenced with comparable vehicles (like the tacoma and landcruiser) and most parts aren't too hard to replace. So i'm hoping that will be the case.

Thanks!
JJ
Back to top Go down
nikalex
Not so new now
Not so new now
nikalex

3L diesel
Automatic
4WD
2" lift
4 man Roof Top Tent

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Hello JJ.
As for your oil consumption comment, that seems very high to me. Are you sure there is no small oil leak somewhere? Maybe a little old blow-by? I have owned this Hiace for 4 years now. I have never added any oil between oil changes - even on 600 mile days where I travel mostly highways and over 5 mountain passes, working the engine pretty hard. I have put on about 50,000 kms or 30,000 miles and do my own oil changes so I keep track of the possible consumption. I have about 145,000 kms on my engine at the moment. I believe this is the correct odometer reading (Lots of Japanese imports have had there odometer rolled back - a side effect of selling all vehicles through auctions in Japan).

As for hills, on really steep hills- mountain passes, especially with a lot of gear, I have to gear down sometimes even into second. A typical hill climb for me is the Highway 5 Coquihalla summit climb and my speed drops down to 60 kms per hour at best.
I aslo have the ECT switch for that transmission shifting mode.

I have the identical manual as you do. Once I printed the relevant sections all out it became much easier to use that those random pdf file names.

One improvement I made that helped me a lot for my engine (3L non turbo 2.8 liter diesel) was the EGR delete. I installed a blanking plate in the EGR pipe. Adding hot exhaust gases into the intake line might help with oxides of nitrogen in the tail pipe under certain conditions but it sure creates black soot when you stomp on the throttle. And it messes with engine temperature slightly. Deleting the EGR certainly helped in my case. There is a lot written about it for the 2L-TE engine in Hilux's and Surf's. I also left the EGR valve installed and operating so I didn't get a check engine light coming on. I also did the "ball bearing in the vacuum line that switched on the EGR system" cheat.

Cheers,
Roman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

91 SCL in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Re: 91 SCL in Florida   91 SCL in Florida Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

91 SCL in Florida
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Pictures Of your Hiace :: Show Us Yours !-
Jump to: