Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Diesel Gelling Cold Weather & Water In Fuel From Storage

Go down 
AuthorMessage
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 57
Home City : North America
Model and year : 1992 3L
Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Diesel Gelling Cold Weather & Water In Fuel From Storage   Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:39 pm

My 3L has been sitting for 3 months, I start her up every week or two. She will probably not go for a drive for a year (maybe take her 3-5 km's every month to get her parts moving). Just sitting there waiting for the next road trip. Recently the temperature has hit below -5 -10 celcius. Half tank of diesel in there. No issues.

I have read that when diesel sits for 6 months to a year, it forms bacteria, which messes up injectors. This would be due to water/condensation in the tank, especially if there is air in it. I have also read that gel starts to form in diesel below 0 degrees celsius (32 fahrenheit). I am not sure if there is water, or gelled up diesel in my tank, as I can not see inside it.

I am not having problems at the moment. But I want to prevent a problem. What kind of additives would you suggest I add? Here are two products that I am considering using.

The first one is a winterizer that prevents gelling: http://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost/ http://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/

The second kills bacteria that has already formed: http://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/

I know some of you might say not to worry its a 3L Hiace! This is awesome, I love to hear this. Also, I have seen online that the Russians love the Hiace, and it's cold up there. I wonder what they do. And my Canadians living below 0, what do you do? Thank you for any advice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 699
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Diesel Gelling Cold Weather & Water In Fuel From Storage   Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Well, when it is below 0 there aren't any bacteria forming so that's nice Very Happy

I wouldn't worry about it to much. And if you run it for 3 to 5 km every month, you don't have to worry at all. Maybe put one ride in there (like after half a year) which is longer so everything warms up once.

I have left other petrol Toyota's in storage for longer. One was even outside for two years, and started up just fine with a new battery Smile (took just 10 seconds more to get the fuel back up again)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 57
Home City : North America
Model and year : 1992 3L
Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Diesel Gelling Cold Weather & Water In Fuel From Storage   Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 pm

As I research more I understand that gelled up diesel actually goes back to liquid when it's warmed up. Although not when solidified. But the bacteria forming is still a concern as she will be sitting for a while.. I like you hiace4wd, always saying don't worry all is good...ha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 699
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Diesel Gelling Cold Weather & Water In Fuel From Storage   Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:54 am

If you use it each month, then at least you don't have to worry about bacteria or other stuff forming in the engine head. Whatever happens in the fuel tank can be solved later if needed, and there is always the fuel filter. Maybe carry an extra fuel filter when using it after one year of not driving.
As an alternative, you could drain the whole system of fuel (tank + engine). But for a year I think it is already to much trouble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diesel Gelling Cold Weather & Water In Fuel From Storage   

Back to top Go down

Diesel Gelling Cold Weather & Water In Fuel From Storage
Page 1 of 1