Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Abaddon
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-02-07

KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Empty
PostSubject: KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS   KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 2:41 pm

Hello everyone!

I just noticed the KPH to MPH converter installed by the previous owner has been cut in at the gearbox... presumably because it's the easiest to get to.

The ECU also shares this speed and it's used along with the steering and brake pressure to control the TEMS (at least thats how it works on the xA70 supras)... this would mean the suspension is not going to the firmest setting at highway speed as it thinks your doing 70kph instead of 70mph (110kph).

It really needs to be cut into the loom where it goes into the cluster.

Also if anyone has the active front spoiler it would affect the auto operation of this.

Nathan
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS   KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Good info..nice 1
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
Abaddon
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS   KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 3:52 pm

I just locked it to hard mode using the diagnostic connector... going for a big drive tomorrow so I'll see how having it locked on hard effects motorway stability.

Not a permanent fix as the tems light flashes all the time which will get quite annoying.

FYI it's Ts and E1 in the connector... got that from the supra workshop manual.

I wish there was a big green book for these... there are 20 different inputs into the diagnostics connector... my MR2 has 3!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS   KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:01 pm

Abaddon wrote:
I just locked it to hard mode using the diagnostic connector... going for a big drive tomorrow so I'll see how having it locked on hard effects motorway stability.

Not a permanent fix as the tems light flashes all the time which will get quite annoying.

FYI it's Ts and E1 in the connector... got that from the supra workshop manual.

I wish there was a big green book for these... there are 20 different inputs into the diagnostics connector... my MR2 has 3!

Went for that drive. It was definately stiffer.I found that the TEMS light stops flashing once you start moving.
If anyone wants to verify their tems is working correctly, set it to soft and bounce up and down on the wheels, then put the paperclip in E1 and Ts and bounce again... there should be a noticible difference in the dampening.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS   KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:35 pm

nice one for that will try it soon.how did you work out the correct pins to arc to achieve this without damage Question you must have some balls Razz
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS   KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 9:35 am

maximus wrote:
nice one for that will try it soon.how did you work out the correct pins to arc to achieve this without damage Question you must have some balls Razz

I got it from the supra tems manual:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FA&P=29
Have a read... through the test procedure you can get an idea of how it works for the supra. The hiace is of similar age to the xA70 model supra's so it's a good bet it works the same.

I was taking a small risk but I was confident toyota would keep it consistant between models.

bounce
Back to top Go down
kylenorth18
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS   KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 1:18 am

Abaddon wrote:

Went for that drive. It was definately stiffer.I found that the TEMS light stops flashing once you start moving.

Hmm, ours is always on Hard? ( Laughing )

Abaddon wrote:

If anyone wants to verify their tems is working correctly, set it to soft and bounce up and down on the wheels, then put the paperclip in E1 and Ts and bounce again... there should be a noticible difference in the dampening.

How do you set it to soft? I thought it was automatic?

I read something like this before about the KPH to MPH conversions making TEMS stop working.

How would I find out if the TEMS shocks are still there and haven't been replaced with regular ones? (It says TEMS in the back window...)

Cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS   KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 1:30 pm

I've got a 'TEMS' display on my digital dash, and it's mostly on soft when stopped or driving slowly and hard when I speed up. My guess is that it would always be on soft when stopped Question so you could test it like that for bounce and then 'insert paper clip'...... pale
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS   KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 9:58 pm

Don't take any notice of me. Embarassed I went for a drive and it was on hard when stopped and changed quite frequently down a bumpy lane - seems to bounce well over 'sleeping policemen' though! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS   KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KPH to MPH and it's effect on TEMS
Page 1 of 1