Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 151
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Afternoon All,

I heard a rumour, and may even have read it somewhere on here a while back, that the Japanese models of Hiace had some kind of limiter fitted.

Is this just a dream I had (?) as with the 2.8 non turbo diesel it really is slow on taking off, and struggles up hills.

Any tweaks anyone has done to make there's run a little more sprightly?

Cheers,

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.richleemusic.com
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 662
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:38 pm

What does the slow performance have to do with the rev limiter? You will not reach the rev limiter in those situations.

I would expect a rev limiter on engines ending with an E. So 1KZ-TE or 2L-TE.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 216
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I often wonder about the purpose of the little toadstool thing under the accelerator pedal...however, my 2.8 is also very slow away and up hills (way slower than my old 2.4D VW). Giving it any more beans just results in smoke, so clearly the engine can't do any more than it is already doing.

revs certainly aren't limited (can't see how they would be on a mechanical engine), I've just ordered a rev counter for mine as I was getting nervous about what RPM it was doing up some mountain roads recently!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ace MM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 49
Home City : California USA
Model and year : 1990 Super Custom 4WD Diesel LH107
Registration date : 2016-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:03 am

I avoid hills requiring me to keep up.
Fiddling with the EGR stopped the smoking at full throttle, maybe abit better acceleration too.
The toad stool limits pedal travel so the throttle isn't overextended
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:02 am

I don't think the L engines came with EGR?
Or maybe not everywhere.

To be honest, I never see the van smoke. Even at full throttle uphill. Yes sometimes it is a bit slow and on a steep highway the speed can fall back. But in general it runs good. My mechanic said it runs better than some early turbodiesels.
Of course it will not win anything from a proper turbodiesel, but I think it runs similar or better than any comparable car without turbo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 am

Thanks AceMM, I figured that was it's job but wondered about adjusting it, especially when heading up a windey mountain road with a 100km/h limit at 30...

I didn't think there was an EGR on the 3L either, I can't see on on the diagram (will be on the inlet manifold side?) if there is one can someone point it out to me?

Will stick some injector cleaner in it this weekend, see what that does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Hiace4wd you're running the 2.4 litre engine aren't you? Wonder if that's runs a bit better than the 2.8? I saw your video of you off roading up a hill and was surprised at how quickly it took it. It would have taken me a whole lot longer.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:36 pm

2L (2.4): 76 to 87 hp (57 to 65 kW) and torque of 15.816.8 kgm (155165 Nm). Not sure what spec went into the HiAce.
3L (2.8 ): 91hp (68 kW) at 4000 rpm and torque of 19.2 kgm (188 Nm) 2400 rpm

So 2.8 should perform slightly better.

However, things like vehicle weight will come into play, especially on a limited amount power. Also, manual vs autobox.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes, I should have the least powerful Hiace of all Very Happy (not counting the ones from the 70ties and 80ties)
I think it is just 75hp, it could be 78hp at the maximum.

But I do have a manual gearbox, and the engine just runs very nice. Putting in a 2.8 L (3L) with the same kind of state, it would be faster.
However, maybe they don't all run that good, or the automatic makes a big difference.

By any means, my Hiace is not fast. However, it is fairly easy to drive 110+ km/h on a flat road. It just responds nice to the throttle and as I said it doesn't smoke, so that is an indication it is running well. It smokes less than a lot of modern turbodiesels.

I have a high roof and a camper interior, and a 4wd version. I try to keep it light, so it may be lighter than other campervans. But it will not be the lightest one around.

@toldsimply, you mean that video of the beach? I think yours could do the same. But two things:
1: At that time the van was empty, quite a difference! But still it would weigh at least 1950kg.
2: I already build up a lot of speed before I go up, because otherwise I might not make it.
Obviously this was all done with low-gearing enabled.

Also, I tended to take these kind of mountains in low gear, 2nd gear. However, when you make a bit of speed, the revs climb and the power dies out, just when you needed it (in the soft sand). I found out that the third gear is better. You would think otherwise because the starting part goes slower, however, you keep it in the powerband and than go much smoother over the hill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ace MM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 49
Home City : California USA
Model and year : 1990 Super Custom 4WD Diesel LH107
Registration date : 2016-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

TwentyOneThirtyFive wrote:
especially when heading up a windey mountain road with a 100km/h limit at 30...

I didn't think there was an EGR on the 3L either, I can't see on on the diagram (will be on the inlet manifold side?) if there is one can someone point it out to me?
After I bought mine and took it over the mountain to my house, it got hot 200+ F and begin smoking under medium load. PO said it had never smoked.
I placed a BB in the vacuum line that opens the manifold valve. Nothing removed.
No more smoke, ever, and a little bit of low end performance.

What RPMs do you stay below in 2nd on those hills?
I try to stay under 3400, 3000 is about 105kph on a flat road. Had it up to 125kph once.
I have a 2000' grade to traverse if I take it to work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:58 am

Ace MM wrote:

I placed a BB in the vacuum line that opens the manifold valve. Nothing removed.
No more smoke, ever, and a little bit of low end performance.

Sorry, what is a BB?

No idea about rpm, no rev counter on mine. Have just brought an aftermarket one, but haven't had time to fit it yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:04 pm

I was about to the ask the same about the BB.

How do you engage the low gearing on the van? I've only ever attempted to move H/L gearing stick but it was a struggle and I didn't want to force it. Should I be in Neutral or drive, or something else?
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:54 pm

toldsimply wrote:
I was about to the ask the same about the BB.

How do you engage the low gearing on the van? I've only ever attempted to move H/L gearing stick but it was a struggle and I didn't want to force it. Should I be in Neutral or drive, or something else?

You have to have 4x4 enabled to switch to low-gearing. This should be a button on the dashboard.

If you have 4x4 enabled, then do not drive on dry asphalt because you will wear out the driveline quickly.

If you can't get it out of 4x4 (or low-gearing) at some point, drive a couple of meters reverse.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?   

Back to top Go down

Engine limiter - vicious rumour or truth?
Page 1 of 1