Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Grease Nipples For Ball Joints?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

Number of posts : 57
Home City : North America
Model and year : 1992 3L
Registration date : 2016-04-21

Grease Nipples For Ball Joints? Empty
PostSubject: Grease Nipples For Ball Joints?   Grease Nipples For Ball Joints? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm

I've recently been getting a squeaky front end when hitting speed bumps and had a look under the front end A arm area. I noticed a little nipple with a slit to insert what I could only imagine grease, and they look empty on both sides.

I think they are for the ball joints. What kind of lubricant should i use? High Viscosity?

It's incredible how little maintenance this vehicle needs, in fact a friend with a 4WD land cruiser told me to grease up my drive train and steering before heading down to the Baja Mexico desert for a long road trip... But I haven't found any zerks fittings to insert the grease so does that mean I don't have to grease the drive shaft and steering?

Is there anything to grease before this trip?

I'm about to be in the middle of nothingness.. desert... Any spare parts I should have in case I'm stuck in a pickle? I'll have an new A/C belt because my current one is real loose. Anything other parts I should bring?
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Grease Nipples For Ball Joints?   Grease Nipples For Ball Joints? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Yeah it doesn't have so much grease nipples as an average Landcruiser.

Will you do sand driving? Then at least buy a decent air compressor for your tires, so you can air down the tires without worrying about it. If you air them down to 14psi you will get through a lot of sand. In fact, I once passed a F150 truck with nice big tires at high pressure, which had difficulty to get through. While I was able to pass without issue in the soft sand.

Well the van is pretty simple. Some emergency things to think of:

- Figure out how the engine is stopped. If you can reverse that manually, by pressing a lever or something by hand, you don't need ANY eletrical system to work but still drive the van (when towed to start) (this is also on my todo list to check how it is done)
- Regularly check your air filter. Practice it once.
- Bring a spare fuel filter and oil filter and likely engine oil
- Bring a spare fan belt (although you should already have two)
- If you have 4x4 by button (parttime 4wd): When the rear propshaft (to the rear axle) fails, remove it completely. Enable 4x4 and you now have front wheel drive.
- Locate the thermostat. If the van keeps running hot and the coolant level is okay, try to run it without the thermostat to see if it helps. (of course replace it later when your back in Canada with lower temps, but in desert you don't need it)

Flush the coolant system before you go perhaps?

Anyway, those were some suggestions. However, I don't know about which grease to use Laughing
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

Number of posts : 57
Home City : North America
Model and year : 1992 3L
Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Grease Nipples For Ball Joints?   Grease Nipples For Ball Joints? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2017 2:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered a Viair 70p air compressor, should do the job. I am 2WD. Will definitely be driving on lots of beaches. So nobody on here has seen those little grease nipples on the ball joints? They are there, And I think it's the only port of entry for any grease on the under carriage of this whole thing. Everything else seems to be sealed.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Grease Nipples For Ball Joints?   Grease Nipples For Ball Joints? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Interesting, probably explains why those joints always seem to have a grease dirt rather than being dry as a bone.

Moly grease is probably the best but LM grease would probably do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grease Nipples For Ball Joints?   Grease Nipples For Ball Joints? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grease Nipples For Ball Joints?
Page 1 of 1