Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
colfmax

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Golden, Colorado
Registration date : 2017-03-18

What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel  Empty
PostSubject: What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel    What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 2:56 am

Hi everyone i am new to the group, and am about to buy a 1995 Toyota Hiace Diesel campervan down in New Zealand to travel around in for the next year. I am wondering what are some common issues or Faults that this years model van has over time. Any information on this van would be amazing as it will be my first Toyota.

Thanks

Colfmax
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel    What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 10:42 am

Hi!

The main things are the usual thing I think, you may wish to look in the Tech section:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/f1-grease-monkey-sorry-couldnt-resist-its-a-bf2142-thing

Which camper conversion is it? There is a very good 'Cruising Cabin' factory conversion I'd recommend over all others.
I'd look at rust first, general condition and evidence of servicing.

The left hand seat is the bonnet, it unclips so you can see the engine and hooks to a strap on the door pillar.
If an auto, right at the back under a clip is a red dipstick, have a white tissue ready. Take it out (about 24" long) and clean it, pop it back in and out - then wipe on the white tissue. Red is good. Brown needs an oil change. Black: walk away.

Drive it, it should drive well and note the gear changes are clean and natural.

Check inside the radiator cap for clean anti-freeze and inside the oil filler on top of the rocker cover for clean oil. Oil itself on the dipstick will be black in a diesel but still look like oil!

Also check the braking is smooth and confident: the front discs are worked quite hard and can 'warp' - and require the hubs popping off to change.

(See https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3149-torque-wrench-figures-for-2wd-super-custom-front-brakeshubs#16875 )

Remember they all start out perfect at the factory, Toyota is top quality, but are still subject to lack of servicing and abuse.

Last edited by GPW on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel    What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 9:01 am

Which type is it? 3.0 turbodiesel?
2.4 or 2.8?
Automatic transmission needs some checking as GPW mentions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel    What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are common issues for a 95 Hiace diesel
Page 1 of 1