Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
aaronp

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Hastings
Registration date : 2017-03-02

yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo  Empty
PostSubject: yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo    yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Just wanting to save a few bucks here and there. Van is never going to be sold and I'm wanting to switch the speedo . Any help be appreciated. 95 sc normal dash .
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo    yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 9:37 pm

I guess you mean the mile-o-meter?
I don't think changing it is illegal.

Adding a switch to disable the speed reading may be however.
I had the dash replaced in my scooter: hey presto, 0 miles again. It's not uncommon TBH.

What was the actual question?
Back to top Go down
aaronp

Number of posts : 13
Home City : Hastings
Registration date : 2017-03-02

PostSubject: Re: yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo    yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 9:52 pm

No I want to be able to turn mileage on and off at the flick of a switch. Had my last Mitsubishi van done by previous owner and was bloody great so I'm wanting to switch this
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo    yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Do you mean you want to be able to stop the mile-o-meter with a switch?

I think there is a speedo pulse that drives both speedo and mile meter, so you just need to identify where it goes into the mile meter and put the wires from the switch in there.

There's a bit of electronics inside both the speedo and tacho IIRC, I would have looked more closely at mine but I couldn't get one of the needles off so i ended up leaving it (was going to put a MPH face on it).

Any tips about getting speedo needles off f their shafts?
Back to top Go down
gonzo1963
gonzo1963

Number of posts : 15
Home City : IPSWICH, QUEENSLAND
Model and year : 1995 SC Limited 3.0L TD 4WD
Registration date : 2011-07-11

PostSubject: Re: yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo    yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 am

If the Van is "never going to be sold" why would you need to switch the Odometer off?
How would you be saving money 'Here and There' by switching the Odometer off?
If anything it will cost you money just purchacing items to achieve it and unless you are going to hook it up yourself it will cost you money to install it.
You won't get better fuel economy by doing it. There will be no benefit to you or the van by doing this apart from the novelty value. Waste of time really.
Very strange request from my standpoint.
Back to top Go down
Nuzzie

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Twizel
Registration date : 2016-04-13

PostSubject: Re: yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo    yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 12:49 am

gonzo1963 wrote:
If the Van is "never going to be sold" why would you need to switch the Odometer off?
How would you be saving money 'Here and There' by switching the Odometer off?
If anything it will cost you money just purchacing items to achieve it and unless you are going to hook it up yourself it will cost you money to install it.
You won't get better fuel economy by doing it. There will be no benefit to you or the van by doing this apart from the novelty value. Waste of time really.
Very strange request from my standpoint.

Because he's in NZ and we pay Road User Charges. We have to pay money per 1000km we want to travel. By switching off the odometer you don't have to pay this as often, because according to the now modified odometer, he's not travelling as much anymore.

Eg if my van is at 100,000 km, and my RUC are paid to 100,000, legally I would need to purchase another 1000km's of RUC's. If he switches off his odometer he could travel 2000kms while technically only showing 1000km.
Back to top Go down
gonzo1963
gonzo1963

Number of posts : 15
Home City : IPSWICH, QUEENSLAND
Model and year : 1995 SC Limited 3.0L TD 4WD
Registration date : 2011-07-11

PostSubject: Re: yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo    yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 7:29 am

Ah! I get it now. You're asking people to be complicit in committing fraud. Sorry but as a Professional Mechanic I can't help you with that. Good luck in your endeavours though. Don't be surprised if they audit you one day. They have people in Departments specifically looking for these kinds of fraudulent activities. Everytime you get a RWC done they log your odometer reading. They compare those historic readings with future readings to find any significant discrepancies. If they find one they'll be asking you to explain these discrepancies. This is how they catch out dodgy used car dealers fiddling with speedos. I completely understand why you want to do it now but it's a risk you need to take. Defrauding the Government is frowned upon in most countries, especially by the Government.
Back to top Go down
1KZ-TE
1KZ-TE

Number of posts : 8
Home City : Raglan
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom, Manual 1KZ-TE, SWB Full time 4wd with LSD
1997 KZH LWB Manual 1KZ-TE Full Time 4wd Minibus
1997 Hiace 2.4 LWB Manual NZ Spec 11 Seater Minibus

Registration date : 2017-06-22

PostSubject: Re: yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo    yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 11:45 am

Any joy on this?
My neighbour had it done on his Hiace by a place in Hamilton, my old van was done already, pretty much every 4wd guy I know has it done, and it seems a every mechanic/sparky I've asked has done it, and will for a couple of hundred bucks.
Diesel is very expensive here, and while my van is genuine and unaltered, I'd quite like to do it when it stops being a work van and a 4wd adventure van as I don't want to buy the GPS thing to show you're off road and then get the kms refunded.
Gonzo, you sound like a Gonzo, please stay in Aussie, forever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo    yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

yes illegal but want to add a switch for speedo
Page 1 of 1