Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BonyB

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Totland Bay
Model and year : 1998 High Roof Super Custom LWB 2.98 Diesel Campervan Auto
Registration date : 2016-07-28

Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Empty
PostSubject: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2017 1:28 pm

I have a just got a SC 1998 3ltre diesel LWB Campervan, the tyres are Bridgestone 205/65/R15 on alloys, what pressure should I put in fully laden? Going away next Saturday, currently they have 30 psi !!! look ok (unladen) Help
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi,
there should be a plate in the driver's door jamb with the official pressures. Probably in "bar", instead of the more familiar psi...

They vary a lot, it seems, depending on the size & config of the van and the tyres fitted. Some folk have passenger car tyres running 40psi, others (eg me!) have commercial tyres running 45 psi (3 bar, front) & 60psi (4 bar, rear).

It's also possible (though hopefully not the case) that your van will be specced for 60psi commercial rated tyres but that the Previous Owner has fitted (much) cheaper car tyres that have a maximum inflation pressure of a good bit less...

I have a handbook (in Japanese) but it doesn't have a table of pressures, just a diagram that directs us to look at the driver's door jamb...

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
BonyB

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks for coming back to me again, mmm my lable says 4bar (58psi) front and 4.25 (61psi) rear!!which sounds like the commercial rated you mentioned. Obviously the tyres on there could not be inflated to that level....so....
1) Am I ok to carry 8 people on those tyres?
2) If so what pressure?
3) Do I need to change them and what for?

Sorry to burden you W, but very grateful for any information you can give.
Thanks in anticipation Brian
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2017 7:53 pm

BonyB wrote:
Thanks for coming back to me again, mmm my lable says 4bar (58psi) front and 4.25 (61psi) rear!!which sounds like the commercial rated you mentioned. Obviously the tyres on there could not be inflated to that level....so....
1) Am I ok to carry 8 people on those tyres?
2) If so what pressure?
3) Do I need to change them and what for?

Sorry to burden you W, but very grateful for any information you can give.
Thanks in anticipation Brian

The tyre will have the max pressure written on it.
Don't exceed it!

Can you post a picture of the label?
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 12:24 am

Hi BonyB,
                 This is not good.  I suspect your label says that you should have 195R15C 6PR tyres on the front and 195R15C 8PRs on the rear.  If so, those numbers should be on the label, albeit probably surrounded by Japanese writing that I, for one, can't read.

If this is the case, then the bad news is that your current tyres are probably underspecified. A bit like having a 150mph Porsche and fitting 60mph tyres. In theory, you won't have a problem as long as you stay within the limits of the tyre but that's probably not an argument you want to be having with your insurers if you are unlucky enough to get involved in an accident...

In my experience of driving campervans, good strong tyres make a big difference to stability, especially in crosswinds or if you have to dodge an obstruction at speed. Tall vehicles need strong sidewalls.

Tyre labelling is a very confusing.  The codes used have evolved over the years and across markets. Broadly speaking, though, there are standard car tyres, reinforced tyres and van tyres- known as "light truck", or LT in the USA and as commercial vehicle tyres in Europe. That's what the "C" in 195R15C means.
There is a code, eg 96T that says what the load and speed rating of the tyre is. For a 6PR (6 ply rating, another hangover from old tech- was originally based on the number of layers of canvas in a crossply tyre) van tyre it'll be over 100, for an 8PR, even higher. A bit of googling will find a table that maps the numbers onto actual maximum tyre loads in Kg or lbs and the letter to max speed (unlikely to be a problem for a Hiace...). You probably won't find 6PR and 8PR available- more likely the manufacturer will make one or the other and you'll have to go with the higher spec to get your rears right.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable driving 8-up on underspec tyres but be warned that good commercial vehicle tyres are not cheap :-( .

Hopefully, I'm wrong and what you have is ok.

Cheers,
             W.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 9:30 am

WGWarburton wrote:
I suspect your label says that you should have 195R15C 6PR tyres on the front and 195R15C 8PRs on the rear.  If so, those numbers should be on the label, albeit probably surrounded by Japanese writing that I, for one, can't read.

To read Japanese you need an Android smartphone with 'Google Translate' App.

1) Start the app
2) Select the camera mode
3) Hold it over the bits of label you want to read.

I translated my service plate like that, it's a useful system.
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 9:55 am

Whoo... Thanks. That is pretty neat!

Thanks for pointing it out. :-)

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 8:31 am

I've been using that app on the iPhone and I'm very surprised how well it works. I downloaded the Japanese package in case I am in the middle of nowhere and need to translate something Smile

About tyres - yes, commercial tyres for a heavy camper.

I'm on Kumho Portran 195/70/15 R (104) M&S at the moment at 50psi front and rear. R means they are speed rated to 106mph (impossible in a 2.8!) and the 104 means load rated at 900kg (so 3.6t for 4). They are 8 ply.

Don't seem to get too warm, so must be about right pressure, can probably go a bit higher at the rear.
Back to top Go down
BonyB

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Really Helpful information thank you WGW, GPW, and TwntyOneThirtyFive for all your input, great idea with the app, yes I have come to the same conclusion and need to get some "C" rated tyres fitted.

Thank you again for imparting your valuable knowledge :-)
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Before you splash on new tyres.... check your wheels!
Not all alloys are strong enough for a two tonne truck, and if the DPO who fitted the tyres cut corners with the wheels, too, you might still be at risk...

I got a second set of steel rims from eBay for my winter tyres pretty cheaply. You want 6 stud HiLux 4x4 rims (same running gear). Not the 5 stud 4x2 ones.
Most HiLuxes are on 16", though, I was lucky to find 15"ones cheaply. Hence good to know BEFORE you splash on tyres!

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
BonyB

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks again I will check first.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 3:17 pm

TwentyOneThirtyFive wrote:
I'm on Kumho Portran 195/70/15 R (104) M&S at the moment at 50psi front and rear.  R means they are speed rated to 106mph (impossible in a 2.8!) and the 104 means load rated at 900kg (so 3.6t for 4).  They are 8 ply.

Don't seem to get too warm, so must be about right pressure, can probably go a bit higher at the rear.

My spare is a 205/70/15R - it looks original, so that may be the SC's original Equipment fitment? At least for 1996.
The front of my (standard length) SC is quoted as 1050kg front, 850kg rear.

I want corner weights for my Birthday, although I'll probably only need them once LOL.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 3:46 pm

GPW wrote:
TwentyOneThirtyFive wrote:
I'm on Kumho Portran 195/70/15 R (104) M&S at the moment at 50psi front and rear.  R means they are speed rated to 106mph (impossible in a 2.8!) and the 104 means load rated at 900kg (so 3.6t for 4).  They are 8 ply.

My spare is a 205/70/15R - it looks original, so that may be the SC's original Equipment fitment? At least for 1996.
The front of my (standard length) SC is quoted as 1050kg front, 850kg rear.

I want corner weights for my Birthday, although I'll probably only need them once LOL.

The problem with Japanese imports is that the VIN plates don't list a GVW. I am sure I read somewhere the the Euro LWB HiAce (and bearing in mind I would have been looking for a slightly earlier model) had a GVW of 2800kg, but I can't find that info again! However, I believe my tyres are a bit overspecced...

My owners manual lists tyre sizes as 185R14C or 195/70R15C, although that is a HiAce manual and not a Super Custom manual, and as you say, the SC may well have come with a different spec. We've already seen differences - it's my owners manual that stated 2.2L of rear diff oil and yours required more, so maybe it is not the best reference.

Instead of corner weights, can you just use a 4 way spirit level and some flat land? Cheaper, maybe even have enough left over for a nice cake and some candles? Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP 183673
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 5:17 pm

My 'Export Certificate' gave me the 1050/850kg numbers, I can't find the weights on the VIN plate either.

Diff oil:
It may have been 2.2L, I used about 6.6 syringes full and based my estimate on their calculated capacity and about half the 5L bottle had gone so I knew it was in that ballpark Very Happy.

Weighting:
I have the flat land and laser levels, but that doesn't tell me if one front tyre/rear tyre diagonal is pressing down by 100kg or so more than the other as that would be invisible. The only cheap idea I had was to use an inverse Mumford beam method - jack up the rear diff (maybe with a carefully centred 1/2" drive socket on a metal plate or something that won't fall off!) so the back is balanced and can freely pivot from side-to-side. Then I could adjust the front torsion bars to have a level rear axle. That'll probably be enough TBH.

Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 6:25 pm

Since we're pitching in on what we're using... my stock tyre size is 195R15C but I couldn't find winter tyres in that size which matched the weight rating.  I ended up getting 205/70R15C winter tyres instead... a few cm smaller overall. They are Kumhos and are noticeably less stable than the regular Michelins (Agilis, sadly not made in my size anymore).

I'll probably try Continental's if the Agilis is still unavailable when I need replacements, if I can afford it, that is!!!

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP   Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Totally confused .com Under Pressure HELP
Page 1 of 1