Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DIY Remote control central locking?!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

DIY Remote control central locking?! Empty
PostSubject: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi all,

Off the boat my van arrived with a single key and a Japanese alarm system (minus remote!) which I took out - including the large Y connector that bridged the main loom - to return it to Toyota spec.

However rather than use that key to twist the locks (at which point all the doors unlock with the central locking) i'd like to be pressing the button on a remote, for convenience and wear prevention.

As I'd already got a cruise control kit arrive (not fitted it yet!) I was browsing the ads and found that you can get these units for less than a tenner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-Door-Lock-Keyless-Entry-System-Remote-Central-Control-Box-Kit-A2P8/162212969193

So has anyone else fitted one?, and has anyone a clue about where the locking wires would be? They would have been connected to my alarm but that's out now so no clues, although I know it's not in the main loom connector below the ignition lock as the pin in the alarm marked 'door' goes off on a thin wire which must have connected to a wire behind the dash.

I'll also need a permanent live but I should be able to find one of those.

Found this in youtube so it seems to be a popular pastime. Maybe I just need to pop the door card and put it in there?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIPvZLRLXOE

Last edited by GPW on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Youtube addition)
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 415
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi Again JPW have the same problem with remote locking the Ebay one looks gut am up for keep us posted on that. How did the cruise control go mine is perfect.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 10:31 pm

JT69 wrote:
Hi Again JPW have the same problem with remote locking the Ebay one looks gut am up for keep us posted on that. How did the cruise control go mine is perfect.  

I haven't fitted the cruise yet but I'll let you know when I do. Could be 2-3 months though.
There are some remotes combined with alarms which look good, but require more difficult fitment.
I like the simplicity of just fitting something in a door rather than a odyssey under the dashboard...

E.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Alarm-Remote-Central-Lock-Immobiliser-AL698HC-/360675145751

Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2017 9:39 am

I don't have central locking, so I would have to buy a kit with 5 motors and figure out a way to connect the locks in de sliding doors haha.
Would be convenient since the locks on the sliding doors and the rear door aren't working with the key, I always open them from inside.

If you don't have any clue on the wires, you could follow them from the door lock. Because in the end, that is the one that acts like a switch to active lock or unlock for the rest of the car.

Also if you search Ebay for "add a circuit", you can use that to add a wire with fuse nicely, from your fusebox.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2017 10:08 am

Regarding central locking - I have it on mine, but it also only works off of the driver's door lock.

Additionally, I have two keys. One only works in the driver's door, the other is ignition and all other doors.

Is this right/normal? Doesn't seem right to me.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2017 2:12 pm

I think central locking often works from only the drivers door on cars, that's my experience anyway.

The 'fit it into the driver's door' method is great because it's simple and easy.

the problem comes in getting or tracing wires out of the door, because the door's right at the front and the door wires go through a tight rubber tube into I think - the outside.

So ideally an alarm or full central locking will be installed in the car - not in the door, but it's more difficult.
I'd guess even without the central locking option the wire's would probably be there.

Assuming you can get access it's a cheap addition even to add full central locking - but probably not an afternoon job.
Back to top Go down
rubythursday
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 45
Home City : York
Model and year : 1995 Super Custom 2.4 Petrol. Wellhouse Conversion
Registration date : 2014-01-05

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 4:01 pm

I fitted a cheap eBay remote central locking to our 95 HiAce, it had central locking. I fitted it into the drivers door, all the wires you need are at the door switch panel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonysimons.me.uk
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 4:50 pm

I'm going to get this one, they reply to emails and even sent me info about wiring it up!!
I was primarily looking for a hopping code for the locks, and this can be installed as a locker first and you can wire up the alarm bits later as required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Alarm-Remote-Central-Lock-Immobiliser-AL698HC-/360675145751?

This is the Central Lock wirings connection diagram.
IMPORTANT READ FIRST***
Please; check/read this first link:
Universal Fitting – All vehicles:
http://www.rclick.co.uk/documents/Universal_Fitting_All_Vehicles.pdf

Toyota Powervan/Hiace: (1995-on)
Siren Location - Top of o/s bulkhead or n/s bulkhead
Harness Entry - o/s or n/s main harness grommet
Chassis Ground - White/black o/s main earth point behind kick trim
Permanent Supply - Heavy white wire located in ignition switch harness
Ignition Supply - Black/red wire located in ignition switch harness
Starter Immobilisation - Heavy black/white wire located in ignition switch harness
Ignition Immobilisation - Black/orange wire located at diesel solenoid or rear of ignition fuse in o/s fusebox
Fuel Pump Immobilisation - White/red wire located in n/s sill harness
Hazards - To green/black and green/yellow wires located in harness to indicator stalk
Door switches - White/red and 2xSilver rings wire located in harness behind o/s A pillar trim
Boot/tailgate switch - Red/yellow with single silver ring wire located in harness behind o/s A pillar trim
Bonnet Switch - Fit switch
Central Locking - Single Point Central Locking - Fit door motor

Lock - Connect to green on motor
Unlock - Connect to blue on motor

Car Security Installation Guide:
http://www.rclick.co.uk/documents/car_security_installation_guide.pdf
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2017 9:03 am

GPW wrote:

So ideally an alarm or full central locking will be installed in the car - not in the door, but it's more difficult.
I'd guess even without the central locking option the wire's would probably be there.

Assuming you can get access it's a cheap addition even to add full central locking - but probably not an afternoon job.

I think I would spend more time building it in (with full central locking) than it would save me time unlocking the doors, so I'm not gonna do it hehe.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2017 2:45 pm

Hiace4wd wrote:

I think I would spend more time building it in (with full central locking) than it would save me time unlocking the doors, so I'm not gonna do it hehe.

That happens quite a lot with me LOL.
In my case though..

1) I'd rather not strain my single key in the lock each time
2) When out and about I'd feel better with an alarm on it Very Happy

Whether I feel the same at the end of the fitting is uncertain however !
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Yeah ok a car alarm is a different story.

Anyway, I should first buy this set of 5 new door locks. As I said, all the rear doors should be opened from inside out. So I would be happy if I could open all doors with the key haha
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Hiace4wd wrote:
Yeah ok a car alarm is a different story.

Anyway, I should first buy this set of 5 new door locks. As I said, all the rear doors should be opened from inside out. So I would be happy if I could open all doors with the key haha

I don't have an interior handle on my tailgate. I wish I did, I may have to investigate how to fit one at a later date because if could be quite handy.
It may actually be easier to add a solenoid and a button to the door trim - hi tech (assuming a permanent live there) and easier to fit.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Fitting remote locking, post on here said all can be done without taking door card off just lift up the switch pad and fit unit in space below use 12v feed from door light wire into switch pad wire. This works, did a temp wiring job to test but the lock switch now fails to work (removed temp wiring it works again) is this normal for switch not to work.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 8:25 pm

Very interesting!

How did you get the switch pad off?
Can you post a link of the original post?

Any problems you found could probably be solved by a well placed diode to stop the unit and the lock switch fighting each other.

Any schematic?
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Switch pad just lifts up easy have ordered diodes probably need 4 will solder and shrink wrap all connections will post some pics later.
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Now running on veg oil

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 4:57 pm

More on this
OK, fitted remote CL today. Did it all on the drivers door without even removing the door card, I did it all through the space after removing the window/lock switch panel, it just pulls out. I took the power from the door light, linked the lock and unlock wires to the green and free/black wire on the door switch and the ground from the white/black wire on the door switch. It the pushed down between the door card and panel and then replaced the window/door lock switch.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Remote control central locking?!   DIY Remote control central locking?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIY Remote control central locking?!
Page 1 of 1