Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Tailgate and doors needed

Go down 
+2
Hiace4wd
fritzy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fritzy

Number of posts : 17
Home City : London
Model and year : 1994 LH119V cruising cabin.
Registration date : 2016-12-19

New Tailgate and doors needed Empty
PostSubject: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi to anyone who is listening!
I just bought a 1993 hiace custom and it is in need of some tic. I took it down to my local bodyshop and have been advised in needs a new tailgate and new doors. To me the doors look repairable (they have rust bubbling up under the window glass and lower edges, but my man reckons get new ones as rubbing down and filling won't be a lasting fix...) tailgate has a nasty dent and rust along the bottom edge)
Anyway, I've been searching and searching, but finding panels for this vehicle is proving very difficult. I can import them from a breaker in Japan but the cost is eye watering! nearly as expensive as getting a whole van, which i am seriously considering.

Has anyone got any ideas as to where I can get some panels for this otherwise fab van?
Cheers
Mark
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi Mark,

Where are you located? Bath is in which country? That makes a lot of difference.
In Australia there are a lot of wreckers, also in New Zealand, but not in the UK.

You can find some stuff here in the Netherlands, or I would have a look in the Scandanivian countries. Sometimes it's a new factory door which isn't cheap, an older door may not be in good shape.

Regarding the tail gate, I saw one for 150 euro here in Netherlands, wasn't in great shape.
However, if it is only the bottom end rusting you can get replacement panels.

Same for the sliding doors, however, only the bottom ends, no window edges or anything.

See this topic:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t2920-websites-to-buy-hiace-parts-and-body-panels
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Try to find a body shop, regular garages seem to be very reluctant to weld stuff these days and if they do, it's very expensive.

The doors are difficult to get hold of so I recommend you get a bodyshop to fix, paint and rustproof the areas.
Back to top Go down
funbus
Been here a while
Been here a while
funbus

Number of posts : 135
Home City : hampshire
Model and year : 1993, Toyota Hiace, 2.8 diesel,
Registration date : 2010-10-08

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 11:03 am

I took mine to a restoration company & they cut all the old rust out & put new metal in, normal body shops won't do that sort of work.

This was my drivers door.

New Tailgate and doors needed 20160422_140052%20Medium

New Tailgate and doors needed 20160509_123512%20Medium

With new metal in place.

New Tailgate and doors needed 20160511_092212%20Medium
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 8:48 am

I picked up a tailgate from these guys as they had a van in the yard that had been written off. http://nipponautospares.com/ It may have useable front doors available. Worth giving them a call on the off chance. Replacement lower parts to the door are readily available, there was thread a few months back on here.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
fritzy

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks for the replies, chaps. I'll keep searching. I think its just the rear tailgate i need, a skilled body repair shop could save the doors i think. funbus, what was your experience like with your restoration company? the photos of the work look good. can you recommend them? anyone got any recommendations for body repairs/restoration?
cheers
Mark
Back to top Go down
funbus
Been here a while
Been here a while
funbus

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 3:27 pm

They made a great job of my van, so i certainly recommend them Smile
Here's their website if you want to check them out.

http://www.scvrestoration.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 5:35 pm

funbus wrote:

Thanks for posting, good to know a good place. They did a really neat job on your door there.

I had a bit to weld up on my old BMW, the local garage didn't want to touch it, in the end I bought a welder and did it myself and it's really just a matter of time and care with some welding skill - but finding these places today is a big challenge.

Back to top Go down
funbus
Been here a while
Been here a while
funbus

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 5:48 pm

No problem, they had a bigger job when it came to the rear tailgate, that was a mess, but they did a great job of it.
Back to top Go down
Russclaat
Russclaat

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Bradford On Avon
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Super Custom 1999 Campervan
Registration date : 2016-11-10

PostSubject: Local to Bath   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 9:56 am

Hi Fritzy,

I'm just down the road from you (Bradford On Avon). I just checked in as I may well be needing a new tailgate soon.

Let me know how you get on, or if you want to compare notes.

Russclaat
Back to top Go down
Russclaat
Russclaat

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 9:58 am

funbus wrote:

How much did they charge for that work Funbus?
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 10:02 am

These are the weld-in parts for the tailgate that are available from Klokkerholm. So the rear door could be repaired if it is only the lower end that is bad. They have more stuff as said before.

New Tailgate and doors needed 8193720

New Tailgate and doors needed 8193730
Back to top Go down
funbus
Been here a while
Been here a while
funbus

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 11:07 am

[/quote]How much did they charge for that work Funbus?[/quote]

I can't tell you how much it costs just for the doors, because i paid for the whole van to be sorted, so they did lots of rust work & a complete new paint job.

If you haven't seen the work i had done, just check out the link, all the pictures are in there Smile

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t1564-pimped-funbus
Back to top Go down
fritzy

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 11:57 am

Hiace4wd wrote:
These are the weld-in parts for the tailgate that are available from Klokkerholm. So the rear door could be repaired if it is only the lower end that is bad. They have more stuff as said before.

Brilliant info, thanks! unfortunately my tailgate also has damage to the top edge, so a new one is required. Actually i sourced a genuine toyota one for 540 plus vat, which isnt that bad, though obviously will need painting.....
Back to top Go down
Russclaat
Russclaat

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 1:06 pm

fritzy wrote:
Hiace4wd wrote:

Brilliant info, thanks! unfortunately my tailgate also has damage to the top edge, so a new one is required. Actually i sourced a genuine toyota one for 540 plus vat, which isnt that bad, though obviously will need painting.....

Where did you get hold of the door Fritzy?
Back to top Go down
Russclaat
Russclaat

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 1:06 pm

How much did they charge for that work Funbus?[/quote]

I can't tell you how much it costs just for the doors, because i paid for the whole van to be sorted, so they did lots of rust work & a complete new paint job.

If you haven't seen the work i had done, just check out the link, all the pictures are in there Smile

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t1564-pimped-funbus[/quote]

Will do!
Back to top Go down
fritzy

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Russclaat wrote:
fritzy wrote:
Hiace4wd wrote:

Got (getting) the door from Mike Aldridge

http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/toyota/toyota-6700595n63-back-door-panel/

Back to top Go down
Russclaat
Russclaat

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2017 4:30 pm

fritzy wrote:
Russclaat wrote:
fritzy wrote:
Hiace4wd wrote:

That's a good price! My door is a slightly different number, but would be interested to know how much it ends up costing when fitted. Can you post an update?

Back to top Go down
Russclaat
Russclaat

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Russclaat wrote:
fritzy wrote:
Russclaat wrote:
fritzy wrote:
Hiace4wd wrote:

That's a good price! My door is a slightly different number, but would be interested to know how much it ends up costing when fitted. Can you post an update?

How did the rear door replacement go? I'd be interested in the final cost and whether you thought it was a good job or not?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Tailgate and doors needed   New Tailgate and doors needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Tailgate and doors needed
Page 1 of 1