Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strange Starting Problem

Go down 
+2
Hiace4wd
Davidncharlesworth
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Davidncharlesworth

Number of posts : 1
Home City : fernhill
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Strange Starting Problem Empty
PostSubject: Strange Starting Problem   Strange Starting Problem Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 5:04 am

Hey guys,

I have a 1984 Hiace that i'm doing up at the moment and it has problems starting i'll explain as follows:

Starts and runs great 70% of the time, the other 30% of the time i turn the ignition and nothing happens. No click, no stutter just silence. I usually just wait around about an hour or so and it works again. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'll also mention that radio and lights work in both circumstances.

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Strange Starting Problem   Strange Starting Problem Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 7:57 am

Must be some kind of bad connection. If you're not even hearing a click it means you're starter relay/solenoid is not even working. I think you should verify and clean the connectors on the starter relay/solenoid. You could measure if it gets power, at times when it doesn't start.
Back to top Go down
Juanos
Juanos

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Suffolk UK
Model and year : 1990 Cruising Cabin VLH113VRRPDS
Registration date : 2013-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Strange Starting Problem   Strange Starting Problem Icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Seems i have the same problem. I've cleaned the ignition with a spray which seems to have helped but am just waiting fort the same problem again... Did you find a solution?
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Strange Starting Problem   Strange Starting Problem Icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2017 8:22 am

Hi we had a Hiace in Australia for four months had same problem intermitent start there was a small wire conection on the side of the starter could just reach it under passenger side of cab its just a push fitt took it off put it back van started. I was told its to doe with a secondary winding in the starter eventually the starter had to be replaced, it was a 86 2.4 petrol hpe this helps if yours is the same.
Back to top Go down
cjs_surf
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 33
Home City : Dublin
Model and year : 1991 LH119 PT 4WD Hight Top YMC Camper
Registration date : 2009-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Strange Starting Problem   Strange Starting Problem Icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Is there a solenoid on top of the starter, could it be sticking? Happened in my old renault 19
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Strange Starting Problem   Strange Starting Problem Icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 pm

All starters have solenoids and I believe the toyota one can be repaired with a kit from ebay .
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Strange Starting Problem   Strange Starting Problem Icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2017 3:30 am

the solenoid can be repaired but the symptom is different when going to start the van there is a clicking sound coming from the starter, when the battery is fully charged the clicking goes away and the van starts ok. this can go on for quite a while until the solenoid fails totally, and then needs to be rebuilt. I had to do this on my 96 kzh100. Since then i have had no problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange Starting Problem   Strange Starting Problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strange Starting Problem
Page 1 of 1