Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
OhNoKevin

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Queanbeyan
Registration date : 2016-10-11

96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob Empty
PostSubject: 96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob   96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 12:25 am

Hi all, my first day and first post to your wonderful community. So I've recently purchased a 96 Hiace Commuter sporting a 2.8 litre 3L that is dead. I'm currently converting it to a part time Camper to escape When I can and I'm keen to put a 1KZ-TE in the beast. I'm assuming it wouldn't be too hard seeing as the super custom also has this and the Hiace commuter engine bay looks identical. but I've seen no real difinitive answers on wether it's a good idea, if anyone has experience with it or wether it's really worth doing to make a lifelong camper. I visited my local Toyota branch yesterday and the foreman there said not to bother as it's a silly idea, but I think he's wrong, so I've come here. Any information would be much appreciated
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob   96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 7:47 am

Hi Kevin,

Well, putting in the 1KZ may not be an issue in itself if you have the engine mounts with it. But you also have to change the gearbox and possibly the propshafts (due to length mismatch)
If it is 4wd you might also have to take the gearbox for hi-low and engaging 4wd. It might be the same but I'm not sure.

The 1KZ typically comes with the R150 gearbox if it's a manual, and the 3L is usually coupled to a G52 transmission or other G transmission if it's a manual.
When it comes to the automatic gearboxes I'm not sure, they may share an automatic gearbox, but then you would still need a different bell housing.

You can check your gearbox code under the engine hood on the chassis number plate, it has more codes, also a TRM code.

If you just want a more powerful engine instead of the 3L, you might also consider switching to petrol. Like a 2RZ-FE or 3RZ-FE. Actually the 2RZ-E was only shipped in this van and that one had a carburator so I would not recommend it. But it means the 2RZ-FE also fits, it has 142hp. The 3RZ-FE has 150hp and is a bit taller, probably fits but not sure.
These RZ engines may need a different bellhousing, but other than that they will fit your gearbox.

If you don't use the camper everyday, just like me, it may be interesting to swap to petrol.
It also means less driving noise, but to be honest I only know the driving noise of the 2L engine (much like the 3L you have). 1KZ probably is a bit smoother, but still a petrol engine will be more quite.

Also note that the 1KZ is not a perfect engine. It is much more powerful than the 3L, but it may also suffer from a cracked head once in a while, and ECU's may sometimes file. However, all can be fixed Smile
If you can find several 1KZ's, I would go with the latest model years, somewhere Toyota updated the engine to give the last cilinder better cooling.

Next to all that there is also the 2L-T or even 2L-TE engine. That last one is a more modern version of the 2L (2.4 litre) engine. Advantage is you get a smoother turbodiesel (like the 1KZ) but it will fit your gearbox and all without issues. The 2L-TE has been shipped in the Hiace / Super Custom, but only in Japan. Anyway, it fits.
Back to top Go down
OhNoKevin

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Queanbeyan
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: 96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob   96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks for the response,
After looking at all of the available options you've presented me with, I am still set on putting the 1kz in. Now a few more questions and a bit more information about my build. It's a manual transmission and I have found a 1kz with optional auto or manual gearbox. This comes with everything I need apart from the engine mounts which I've found can be sourced from my local Toyota branch. Would it be better/easier to keep it manual? Or should I take the automatic option or is that entirely up to my preference?
What are the prop shafts and assuming I will need longer ones for the length of my van, what do I look for in these?
What are the physical mechanical differences between a rear wheel drive and 4wd setup?
Mounting an aftermarket ibtercooler should fix the cracking head problem right?
Regards, Kevin
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob   96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 7:43 am

Do you have 2wd now or 4wd?

Well the prop shafts are the ones going from your gearbox to your axles. So if you have 2wd you just have one propshaft.
The axles and differentials themself will be the same for every Hiace, but if you are going for a different gearbox and engine, the point where you attach the gearbox might actually be a bit further back, and so you need to have a different propshaft, also coming from a 1KZ Hiace van with same gearbox (and same wheelbase!)
But it could be the length is exactly the same. I guess the parts system would tell us if that is the case.
The 4wd just has an extra gearbox so you have two propshafts going to two axles, and it can divide between high and low gearing for climbing offroad. And so you have a front axle and diff, which is independent (not like the rear solid axles)

Automatic and manual: choose what you like. However, I think on the really long run the manual gearbox will be less hassle.
I think the ECU of the 1KZ engine is dependent on the gearbox type, but thats not an issue if you get a complete set.

Intercooler is always nice, and will keep things cooler, unless you go at full speed all the time Razz
But the 1KZ has a bit less cooling from factory, which is a design fault I think. I understood, that somewhere Toyota corrected this design error, but I'm not sure when.

Here is an in depth thread about cooling:
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/cooling-the-1kz-te-motor.130304/

So I would suggest to at least run the thermostat which opens at 76 degrees instead of 82 or higher.
And make sure radiator is ok. And while your doing the engine swap, add one of those (digital?) aftermarket cooling liquid temperature gauges. (but put it on a hose that always runs water, and is not behind thermostat)
And the guys in that thread are sometimes also towing a lot of stuff.
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob   96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi,
     Note that 2WD Hiaces have 5-stud hubs but 4WD ones have 6-stud ones. I don't know how deep the differences go but suspect it's more than just the hubs...
I believe that the 4WD 90s Hiaces share most of their drivetrain with Hiluxes... Does this apply to the 2WD variants,  too?
Assuming so, there's quite a bit of info around the 'net on Hilux conversions that might prove useful, both for compatibility and for sourcing parts...

Cheers,
             W.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob   96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

96 Hiace 3L, to 1KZ-TE Conversiob
Page 1 of 1