Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Aye up.

Go down 
+3
Hiace4wd
GPW
TwentyOneThirtyFive
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

Aye up. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 9:33 am

While we are geeking out on oil...  While I was looking for info on servicing my van, I came across some threads referencing Fratnz Filters.  

http://www.frantzfilters.com/

Something good or snake oil?

Not that I'm about to add one, just curious.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Aye up. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 10:17 am

TwentyOneThirtyFive wrote:
While we are geeking out on oil...  While I was looking for info on servicing my van, I came across some threads referencing Fratnz Filters.  

http://www.frantzfilters.com/

Something good or snake oil?

Not that I'm about to add one, just curious.

Interesting. I'm sure it does what it says, bypasses most of the oil and has a fine filter to catch the small particles.
Whether this is of any practical use and compensates for the arduous installation required - and pipework + extra canister is debatable though.

An easy upgrade for an oil filter is a magnetic strap clipped to the canister.

E.g: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWERMAG-FP-6S-OIL-FILTER-MAGNETS-/200959477855?hash=item2eca1e485f:g:qAMAAOxyNwNSJMJV

This will keep any steel bits safely out of the way and it easy to fit.

I think however if we replace the oil and filter on schedule we'll be well able to comfortably pass 350,000 miles and things like rust (or rust proofing!), timing belts, gearbox mounts, fan couplings, sunroofs, ECU capacitors, relays etc. will be of far greater importance. Basically I suspect the wear state of our engine will outlast the vans Wink.

I remember seeing the internal bore of a 320 engine from a 1980s auto BMW, a similar quality to Toyota bores. It had done 120,000 miles and you could still see the honing marks - but you couldn't see a trace of wear.

I'll be using 5W30 or 0W30 all year round on mine when I get to changing it, but that's only because the engine plate on the van tells me I can use a 30 weight oil. The extra MPG of PAO synthetic (cheap from my local Tesco or Costco) will pay for any slight price difference IMO.

I use 0W30 car grade oil in my scooter too (a SYM 300) and I like the knowledge that if I have to use more power on a cold morning that it's far better protected than if I had a sub PAO grade oil. Even then, the engine's going to outlast the machine though and it's already good for 90mpg Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Aye up.
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: