Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Aye up.

Go down 
+3
Hiace4wd
GPW
TwentyOneThirtyFive
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 2:01 am

Going back to your early comment about it being really slow - I'm guessing yours is a Japanese import? Mine is, and I had the same complaint when I first got it; wouldn't get above 95km/h. My understanding is that the Japanese are usually travelling relatively short distances and at low speed. This leads to them coking up. After running mine for a few weeks at (attempted) highway speeds, plus a bottle of cleaning fuel additive, it freed up and can happily reach 120km/h on the flat. Hills knock the speed back a lot though.
Re overdrive. I leave it on permanently, only turning it off on downhill runs to improve engine braking.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 10:02 am

Interesting!
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Thanks MalL. I'm just about to give it a good long Motorway blast, so we'll see what happens.

Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 1:56 pm

Mine's a 90hp 3L engine (no turbo, no efi: yay! :-) ) and will cruise at over 70 even though it is a super-long wb with a high-top roof and 4x4...
Doesn't like big hills but tows like a truck (funny, that....), I regularly haul a big 5.3m (>17 foot) rib with a 50hp outboard to dinghy sailing events the length of the country (often with a small dinghy inside) and the van is perfectly happy with that.

Cheers,
             W.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 8:33 am

3 weeks later...quite impressed with the little van. Not so impressed with the people I bought it from...

Not sure if it's me getting used to the auto box and van in general, or if it has freed up but it feels better. Climbed up and down some steep hills without bother (slowly!). Mountain passes, Cairngorm ski station, that sort of thing.

Didn't try the pass to Applecross as we had issues with slipping aux belts, so err'd on the side of caution.

After two and a half weeks of camping in the wilds and following little tracks, I managed to get it stuck reversing up a grass slope on a campsite Very Happy Not even a campsite really, a holiday park! Anyhow, the 4wd works a treat.

Fuel economy was ranging between 24 and 30mpg which seems about right from what I've read. Didn't seem to use or lose any oil, which is nice and I didn't notice the temp ever get above half way on the gauge.

Had an identical white/green Super GL hightop following me down the A9 for about 5 miles, lots of waving when they passed us on a roundabout Smile
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 8:39 am

Sounds good! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 11:09 am

we all need to get together next year, some camp site near a beach but easy for everyone to get too
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Always going to be tricky finding someone central enough (and also, I'm guessing not everyone uses them as a camper). Would be good though, especially from the perspective of a new owner.

If anyone is interested, it's the Adventure Overland Show at Stratford Upon Avon this weekend. The VW T3's ususally have a big gathering there, as do the big American RVs, the Silk Route/overland truck groups and all sorts of Landrover and Landcruiser groups. Could be a useful gathering point, at least for the more southerly bits of the nation (although I appreciate it isn't near a beach!).

If nothing else, it's an interesting if slightly disorganised event if you like travelling in a van. The campsite is just as interesting as the show Smile

Some photos from the show a few years ago here: https://bettybus.wordpress.com/2013/09/30/overland-to-stratford/

dan
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 12:53 pm

I maybe interested in this, I'm from Coventry so as land-locked as you can get and Stratford isn't far away at all
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2016 9:08 am

We'll be in the general camping field from Friday night. White and green hightop (probably very dirty!), say hi if you do come along.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Damn it went swift up that hill. Great to see.

Glad you're loving your new purchase Dan. I've had my Hiace, 4wd no turbo, called Chuck, for just over 4 years and I love it. Off to the Gower this weekend for some surfing. They may be slow up hills, but once you're cruising you're laughing. Managed to get 80mph the other week, but Chuck had been running very well that day and felt like he wanted to lay on a bit more speed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 8:20 am

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks cars drive differently on different days Smile

Enjoy the Gower, is a beautiful place.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 8:36 am

I sometimes think that too, but then I realize I have tailwind Very Happy

But I'm still really surprised how good the van drives, because looking at the specs on paper (low horsepower, huge weight) would make you think otherwise.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2016 4:06 pm

I'm really start to enjoy driving mine - 2.4 turbo - surprisingly quick when needed especially with the ECT P-O-W-E-R [said in a Jeremy Clarkson voice] button in bounce have my plans for it now and just need funds to allow it, nothing drastic just some subtle mods n changes to be done
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2017 7:46 pm

Just spent Christmas and New Year in the van (UK's Lake District and Peak District), giving the van a good service has made a big difference. Much smoother, especially the gear changes when heading up steep hills (been past the UK's second highest pub I think). Fuel economy has been a tad better.

Of course, all the new belts I fitted have now stretched and need retentioning Very Happy

Still accelerates really slowly though!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2017 8:11 pm

TwentyOneThirtyFive wrote:

Just spent Christmas and New Year in the van (UK's Lake District and Peak District), giving the van a good service has made a big difference.  Much smoother, especially the gear changes when heading up steep hills (been past the UK's second highest pub I think).  Fuel economy has been a tad better.

Of course, all the new belts I fitted have now stretched and need retentioning Very Happy

Still accelerates really slowly though!

Sounds good! What heater do you have on board?
BTW did you clean the little manifold pressure filter? I posted about this on another page or topic. Between the pressure sensor and the manifold is a filter about 1" diameter and 1" long, if it gets bunged up it slows the van down as the pressure reading is wrong.

You can clean it with brake cleaner BTW.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 6:52 pm

The heater question should be simple to answer, but isn't Smile

Seeing as it was Chrimble and NY and I wanted a drink or too, we've been living a life of luxury on campsites with electric hookup, running a little electric heater. Warms the van quick enough, even after last night when we got ice on the inside of the windows Surprised

The van has a Webasto diesel heater fitted. It was working when I got the van, but has since stopped. I have an idea of what might be wrong (overheat sensor), but it's an expensive part, not in stock and I'm not completely sure. Given it's over 20 years old and I wasn't that impressed with the heat output, or the amount of noise, thinking of replacing it with an Eberspacher D2.

I fitted a D2 to my Westy to replace the original but faulty Eber D2L and was really impressed with it. Pricey, but warmer and quieter.

I'll have a look for the pressure sensor filter, but not sure I have such a sensor on a 3L (2.8D) engine.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 8:15 pm

The heater question should be simple to answer, but isn't Smile

Seeing as it was Chrimble and NY and I wanted a drink or too, we've been living a life of luxury on campsites with electric hookup, running a little electric heater. Warms the van quick enough, even after last night when we got ice on the inside of the windows Surprised

That's an inspired idea - I'll be using that then Very Happy
Far cheaper than fitting a new Webasto.. almost worth taking a generator along for !

I'll have a look for the pressure sensor filter, but not sure I have such a sensor on a 3L (2.8D) engine.

Cheers!

I found my previous post here and updated the picture. As you lift the 'bonnet' it's visible straight away from under the passenger seat.
Gently with the pipes and blow it out with air before you reinstall it (to not get brake cleaner on the sensor).

https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3003-cleaning-your-turbo-pressure-sensor-filter#15641
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Ta. I'll take a look but pretty sure there is no MAF on the 3L, since there is no ECU. Not unusual for me to be wrong about mechanical things though! I'll have a look at the manuals.

An electric heater works fine in a small van. Only problem is that they are always in the way... I went with a ceramic one, bit more expensive, but the wires can't vibrate and short when the van wobbles.

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Ta.  I'll take a look but pretty sure there is no MAF on the 3L, since there is no ECU.  Not unusual for me to be wrong about mechanical things though!  I'll have a look at the manuals.

An electric heater works fine in a small van.  Only problem is that they are always in the way...  I went with a ceramic one, bit more expensive, but the wires can't vibrate and short when the van wobbles.

I'm not sure about the 2.8L. No diesel has a MAF (Mass Airflow), it's a MAP (Manifold Air Pressure), but this only affects Turbo diesels, and mine is the 3.0L one so yours may be quite different. IIRC it uses the MAP reading to control the waste gate and therefore turbo boost.

I've looked about at heaters - how many watts and how often is it drawing power? They do flat panel ones too but also a neat built-in fan operated 300W one.

At a campsite it's easy, but I was also thinking about the odd night away. A 300W 12V fan heater would drain a 60AH leisure (for the odd time a hookup is not around) in under (300/12)/60 = 2.4 hours, perhaps enough to keep the chill off overnight if it came on now and again with a thermostat. The next day's driving hopefully charging the battery back up again. It may make more sense as a heating solution than any gas or diesel idea - ultimately it's using the van's diesel for energy.

I.e. you stop in the middle of nowhere, use the battery for lights etc and run it down overnight, then in the morning the sink pump and van starting can be from the main 95AH battery anyway.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 1:12 pm

But 300W is completely nothing to keep a van warm, or even to keep the cold away during the night. All the glass and metal of the van are very good in transporting the cold to inside your van. Even with proper insulation 300W is very little power in the night. So it will always drain your battery. Please also note that you can't use the full 60Ah of the leasure battery, even though it is a deep cycle one.
The D2 heater is the smallest diesel heater and it already has 2000W (behind a thermostat)

We like to go bush camping so a diesel heater is very nice. But I don't have it.
For now I ordered a small stove heater kind of thing for $20, which you put on your gas stove/furnace. That will be more powerful. But once you start to use gas for heating, you run out of it much faster than with cooking only.

But it is good as a temporary solution, or for the occasional night away. In the evening you heat up the van, and in the morning time you also start it. Not for use in the night obviously, which also means that very cold nights will still be.... cold Very Happy
But I don't mind it, we usually sleep good when it's cold.

However, at some point I would also like to have a diesel heater, since I want to be able to use it all year round.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 1:53 pm

1800w of fan assisted power Smile It was plenty powerful enough and not on all the time.

Overnight we don't use the heater, when it's cold Mrs 21/35 uses a 4 season bag (800 fill), I use a 3 season bag (600). Think we got -1c on Monday night, ice on the inside of the windows where condensation froze. I was too toasty in my bag (I've used it colder in the tent)

Condensation is a bigger problem than the cold for us, especially with so many windows. So even at those temps I have the roof vent and top windows open, to let out the warm damp air. May try to double glaze them, had that in the Westy and had far less mopping up to do!

I know a guy who lives in his T4. He just uses tealights, floating in the sink. Says it produces plenty of heat.

As Hiace4wd says, there are gas based solutions. Just be aware of the CO risks, get an alarm with a display so you can see if you start to get a buildup and ensure there is ventilation. I think it's worth repeating that you don't sleep with the gas appliances running Smile

Going off on a tangent, Hiace4wd - is there much wild/bush camping in the Netherlands? We went a couple of years ago and were told it was not tolerated, so camped in lots of marinas instead.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Indeed, if it wasn't clear already, never leave gas appliances running while sleeping, and always have a window open for some kind of ventilation. Indeed because of CO risks.

I bought this one, I'm curious to see how it will work (with windows open a bit on both sides, but in fact is the same safety risks as you would do with cooking)
Aye up. - Page 2 $_57

Tealights are quite powerful when combined, but any form of candles are very bad for the air quality so ventilation is needed even more. (assuming that you are using more than a single tealight)

About the condensation, double glazing will not solve the issue. Double glazing is only for (temperature) isolation. Even if you don't have to mop the windows you haven't solved the issue.

Because the real issue is high humidity which will still be high even with double glazing. I want to go for a roof vent with an electrical fan, hopefully a bit silent or with two speeds or so.
Then I will hook it up so that it automatically switches on at high humidity.

Bush camping in the Netherlands is pretty bad. There is little nature left that you can drive into, and it is illegal. However, in public roads/surroundings there are sometimes designated places for campers (like in marinas) with a sign.
That being said I think there should be places where you should be able to do it, even though it is not allowed. The problem is that offroad routes are also very rare in the Netherlands.
This year I would like to try a route in the South (near Belgium) and see if there are some spots that would be suitable for bush camping. If you need to go through mud to get their, the cops will not come and check you.
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 6:01 pm

Hiace4wd wrote:
This year I would like to try a route in the South (near Belgium) and see if there are some spots that would be suitable for bush camping. If you need to go through mud to get their, the cops will not come and check you.

That made be laugh. We got a 'visit' last year parked up in local woodland and we'd only gone there for dinner! Guess some rich local NIMBY complained.

You're right about using an extractor fan. Ours is broken and it's on my to-do list, although I'm thinking about replacing the whole roof vent with one that has a fly net and a blind as well as a fan. Not sure how much work that would be though to remove the sealant.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Our roof is closed so I have to make a hole anyway. So I want to choose the same as you, with fly net and blind and built-in fan which is hopefully a bit quiet (in low speed setting)

But you can buy cheap electronics which allow you to set humidity and temperature boundaries when a simple relay will be activated, so you can power the fan automatically.

I think here in the Netherlands there must be loads of parking spots near woods (where you go for walking) where you should be able to stay, because the police will never check every parking every night. However, the Western part of the Netherlands is quite full, so it won't work out well. Should be doable in the Eastern or Southern parts I think.

But I want to try it, mainly also for driving offroad in the Netherlands. Would be fun if I can do some offroading in the Netherlands even with a nice bushcamp, without having to drive two countries away.
Belgium and Germany aren't the best offroad countries due to fines and regulations. Sure, Netherlands isn't good for that either, but at least they will just send you away and that's that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aye up. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aye up.   Aye up. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aye up.
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: