Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America

Go down 
+4
funbus
Hiace4wd
Clive
vanmobile
8 posters
AuthorMessage
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

Number of posts : 57
Home City : North America
Model and year : 1992 3L
Registration date : 2016-04-21

92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Empty
PostSubject: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Hey guys. I am Jay, from Montreal, Quebec. I've got a 1992 Toyota Hiace 3L (2.8 litre) LH123. I have been driving around North America for a year. Here are some pictures of the adventure that won't seem to end any time soon. I also have an instagram account named vanmobile, go check it out if you're on there.

92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Dsc00810
92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Dsc00510
92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Dsc00710

Last edited by vanmobile on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:52 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 8:06 pm

Fantastic and a Masterace in photo also.
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Yeah that little van next to mine is quite rare because they are probably the best Toyota minivan to be sold on the market in the USA. In this part of the world, they call it "Toyota Van" there is nothing that says Masterace. Hah. They are all gasoline as well over here. They are easier to find that a Hiace but still, very hard to find someone who wants to let go of one. It seems like the rest of the world knows what a good vehicle is... It's a shame that North America is how it is..  At least Canada has easier import laws that the states.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 9:36 pm

Townace and Masterace as they were called in Japan were only made for the Japanese market.
They were sold as Toyota Van petrol only in US and I think 4WD.

I've had 4 Townace ranging from plastic trim and rubber mats up to velour seating and deep pile carpet.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Nice van! And it is a extra long wheelbase as I read in the other thread. I guess it gets the extra inches in the sliding door area.
Nice pictures as well.

The rest of the world you say. Here in Europe all those old Toyota's get exported to Africa.
If you own a Toyota here, it can happen many times to find some business card or flyer on your windshield of a car export guy.
Also these nineties Hiaces are all gone.

That little van is called Toyota Van in the US, but it is called LiteAce or ToyoAce or whatever in the rest of the world. Yours is 4wd or not?

These vans are pretty though and can do high mileage. But you have to take care of the coolant system. If you have some spare time and money (doesn't have to be much), and coolant stuff looks original, replace it. With that I mean replace hoses that look bad, and flush the coolant a couple of times (with interior heating slide open) and also replace radiator cap (which is on the engine).
You can easily drain the system at the bottom left of the front radiator.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 10:45 pm

Funny thing is that mine follows the same two tone line.

And does your van have airconditioning?
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 12:34 am

I guess people are getting offered good money for their vans to be exported.... I could find someone here in the USA who would buy my van for $20,000 and I still wouldn't sell it. I feel so lucky and fortunate to have found one. The internet is amazing.

Yeah, I have A/C and it's damn good. I've noticed that when I am idling and the A/C is on, the idle is stronger, a bit rougher. Any thoughts on that?

When I got the van, the fluid in the coolant system was orange'ish, didn't seem right. I overpaid some Japanese import mechanic to flush it. He was using his "I am from Japan" approach to make it seem like his service is better. I've noticed he overcharges everyone. I felt like a sucker. I found these awesome Pakistani guys who who quoted me half the price. But if it's as simple as you said, I will do it myself if I ever notice the color change again. It was flushed once. Now, when you say flush, how would I go about this?

Another thing. At a cold idle there would be a metallic banging sound but would go away as soon as the engine was warm, 2-3 mins or so. The Japanese guy told me something like the housing is ceased. Wanted to charge me like $400 for something. Anyway, the Pakistani guy told me it's my A/C belt that is stretched to the max. That's it. Change the A/C belt. I love good people.
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 8:00 pm

92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America 2j5a5710

This was at the top of Red Mountain Pass in Colorado. They call it the Million Dollar Highway. RHD in a LHD world means driving along the most insane mountain pass in the USA with no shoulders means you are right next to the edge of insane cliffs... And also the road with the most avalanches in the country....!!! Woo!!
Back to top Go down
funbus
Been here a while
Been here a while
funbus

Number of posts : 135
Home City : hampshire
Model and year : 1993, Toyota Hiace, 2.8 diesel,
Registration date : 2010-10-08

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 9:20 pm

Nice Hiace, glad you're enjoying it Smile
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2016 9:58 pm

Wow what happened in te he picture?

Anyway my experience with Pakistani mechanics is very good. Just dont let them do the bodywork haha.

About flushing it: Just drain it at the radiator drain plug, then fill it with water an run it shortly that it gets warm. Repeat it a couple of times.
But I also removed some of the hoses to put the garden hose in there directly and let it flush through, with engine off.
For example the front heater had a lot of rusty mud kind of stuff that only came out whe I put the garden hose at it at full power.
This the kind of stuff that makes your coolant change color over time. Rust colors...

The colors of coolant that I know are green or blue, or red or pink. Don't know if orange coolant also exists. You could flush it and then use green to see if the color stays.
You could also change thermostat and radiator cap while you are at it, the parts are cheap.
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 9:55 pm

Thanks a lot for the info Hiace4wd. Much appreciated.
It was a firework going off in the picture. Haha. Not the lifted Ford F-350 burning!

For the breaking bad fans.
92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America 13227710
Back to top Go down
funbus
Been here a while
Been here a while
funbus

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 10:18 pm

Cool picture Smile
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Hey funbus, I am the one talking to you via youtube messages. Hah.
Back to top Go down
funbus
Been here a while
Been here a while
funbus

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi bud Smile
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 11:21 pm

New Mexico

92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Screen10
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 7:10 am

At what time of year was this picture taken?
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2016 5:35 pm

February
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 9:59 am

California coast
Back to top Go down
TwentyOneThirtyFive
Been here a while
Been here a while
TwentyOneThirtyFive

Number of posts : 222
Home City : Hertfordshire, UK
Model and year : Super GL Camper (Vantech), 2.8D 4wd, 1995
Registration date : 2016-08-04

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Lovely pics.  That New Mexico one has me very jealous Smile
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Great pictures.

Going vanning is similar to biking - it's very independent.
Back to top Go down
bordurat
bordurat

Number of posts : 12
Home City : South Shore Mtl
Model and year : 1992 super custom limited lh107w
Registration date : 2016-09-07

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 3:13 am

nice van. just got mine, already enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 10:38 pm

bordurat wrote:
nice van. just got mine, already enjoy it.

Great man you should post some pics of it
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 6:37 pm

How do you attach the bike carrier to the front?

vanmobile wrote:
New Mexico

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
vanmobile
Not so new now
Not so new now
vanmobile

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 7:12 pm

I bought the van with the bike rack, but I don't see anything custom done. Bike mount has holes and bolts and they screw into the frame of the van in the center at the front. If you look under you should see holes in the frame where bolts can go in.

Merlin_ wrote:
How do you attach the bike carrier to the front?

vanmobile wrote:
New Mexico

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America   92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

92 Silver Bullet jetting through North America
Page 1 of 1