Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear speaker grills

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nuzzie

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Twizel
Registration date : 2016-04-13

Rear speaker grills Empty
PostSubject: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Is there an easy way to get these off? I've tried prying them off but feel like I'm putting way too much force and something is going to break. 93 SC 4WD

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2016 9:50 am

Could you maybe take of the whole panel just to be sure?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 4:29 pm

Did you get the grills off in the end?
I have to do mine soon....!
Back to top Go down
Nuzzie

PostSubject: Re: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Had to take the whole panel off to get at them. Left side was fine, but the right side looks a bit more involved ( I didn't take the right side off )
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 8:09 am

Where are they? I don't have rear speakers (DX trim?) and have been wondering where I could put some!
Any recommendations for front speaker upgrades? Not looking to spend much (environment is too noisy for HiFi Smile but the factory ones seem pretty poor...

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 10:12 am

Image 3:

http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=136&fig=8602

The Hiace is not a hifi buff's van though, there are several areas for improvement.
The main is to fit component speakers at the from with tweeters hanging from a clip on the door trim near the sunvisor, I bought Bass Face 4" that almost fit, but you have to DIY.

It's not like a Peugeot where you simply bolt in better drivers...

Plus there is no bass generation, my plan is to make a camping pod (TV, coffee, sink) to anchor in behind the window behind the sliding door which will give me a box to bolt a 8" woofer into.

Also as an additional complication there is a left and right, but when I'm sitting on the twin swivel seat I spent ages modifying  ( https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3001-how-to-make-the-seats-rotate-differently ) that will become right and slightly more right, so maybe hanging some small satellite mid-treble from the top and hiding a sub in the (one day to be built)  TV/coffee pod is the way forward. I suspect that will be a different, class D setup though, as that is cheap and accessible, and of stunning quality.
Back to top Go down
Nuzzie

PostSubject: Re: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 9:06 pm

When I pulled it out it looked like a 4". I was a bit silly I thought they weren't going, but turns out my headunit was outputting only bass to the rear, so after changing that setting they went fine. You'd be able to put 6x9's in but it would require a bit of DIY to get them mounted properly. There's lots of room for them they just need a proper mounting point.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2016 11:11 pm

So are the grilles glued/molded into the side panel then or are there clips that were there but just a bit to stiff to risk breaking stuff?

I did hear the rear speakers were 6" but it sounds like they are smaller. Ho hum!
Back to top Go down
Nuzzie

PostSubject: Re: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 3:29 am

I think they were glued
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2016 12:49 pm

I've recently upgraded the speaker system in my 1993 SC. I had some 6" JL Audio speakers fitted in the front doors. No separate tweeters needed. The guys that did it at Unique Integrations (http://www.uniqueintegrations.co.uk/) did a superb job. They mounted the speakers through the door pockets at the front and, unless you know the van well, you wouldn't realise that they were aftermarket.
The tiny under dash speakers are no longer in use. I had upgraded those but you're never going to get an amazing sound from tiny speakers as they just don't move enough air. I decided to get it done professionally as I'd rather that if they'd got it wrong that they would have had to source new door cards, rather than me Surprised)

Behind my drivers seat I've got a thin sub that would normally go under the seat, but won't on a Hiace. You do need to be careful with the sub though as if you have it too loud it does seem to make the fabled "brown note" ;o)

I also upgraded my Sony head unit, to a pioneer head unit which has made the world of difference in sound as well. It would seem that modern Sony head units do not have a decent amplifier. The difference when I put the Pioneer unit in was unbelievable (and a steal on ebay at £77 second hand, compared to £170+ brand new).
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear speaker grills   Rear speaker grills Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear speaker grills
Page 1 of 1