Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Post Oily Mark
Post Oily Mark

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Walsall
Model and year : Super Custom 2L-TE 2440cc Living Saloon LH100 1992
Registration date : 2016-02-02

ECU  Engine Management Light Issues the fix - ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix Empty
PostSubject: ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix   ECU  Engine Management Light Issues the fix - ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 6:57 pm

I was experiencing random issues on my 1992 Super Custom fitted with a 2L-TE engine.

Such as;

Engine would not rev over 1800 revs, then would kick back in......and drop out again....
I was having to start the engine and leave it to warm up before even attempting to drive away......
Management light giving random codes......then stopped coming on at all...would flash briefly as you cranked
Cutting out whilst driving......
Kicking out diesel smoke all of a sudden....

After lots of attempts over many months to find the fault such as;

stripping down to the turbo to check for operation.
checking throttle position sensor
checking coolant temp sender
trying to flash read the diagnostic OBD1 system.
checking all vacuum pipes for leaks

I did so much research on the net to try and find the problem with this and I was that close to scrapping the whole thing and I am an auto electrical mechanic by trade so you can see it must have been annoying trying to trace the problem.

To cut a very long story short it was the Nicolcon capacitors inside the ECU which are the problem. They are the brown ones and they are only good for about 10 years before they leak acid over your motherboard. I'm amazed that mine lasted 23 years before giving up the ghost! There are about 8-10 various ones with various values depending on your vehicle. Find your ECU and get a magnifying glass to see the acid leak/green corrosion on the motherboard.

Hope this helps

PS To add a bit more to the above fix, since changing the capacitors the improvements I have noticed over the last 3 winter months have been: smooth start up and tick over, faster acceleration and pick up, no management light issues at all, it comes on, you start engine, it goes off, no more random flashing or on the road dramas!, and the one I love is that amazingly the air conditioning which suddenly packed up in 2007 has began to work again after 9 years dormant!
There is a lot of info on these Nippon Denso ECU capacitor issues on the American Lexus Owners Web Site which was a gold mine of info for me, one of the guys discussing worked for Nippon Denso. I certainly do not regret biting the bullet getting the soldering iron out and diving in! It is like a new vehicle!
I road tested it a few days later by driving 100 miles (with breakdown cover in place!) Birmingham to Peterborough and back again, so 200 mile round trip and no problems. in fact it was so fast it felt fantastic.  

PPS The Nippon Denso ECU's with the volatile capacitors I mentioned were widely fitted to many different makes and models from around 1989-2002. My 2.4LT-TE turbo diesel engine has done 224,000 km.

MrWorks likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

ECU  Engine Management Light Issues the fix - ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix Empty
PostSubject: Re: ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix   ECU  Engine Management Light Issues the fix - ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 7:56 am

Great write-up! Thanks for the info.

But, I'm actually quite surprised that you have an 2L-TE in there. I thought it only came with the later Hi-aces with a different front-end.
Was this engine in there originally?

What is the model code? Something like LH112-SMBSRW or something like this, you can see it on the chassis plate number under the engine hood, above the wheel arch.

I ask this because I was thinking about converting mine to 2L-T, or even 2L-TE, but I was worried around the space for the exhaust manifold with the turbo on it.
(I just have the 2L without turbo's)
Back to top Go down
Post Oily Mark
Post Oily Mark

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Walsall
Model and year : Super Custom 2L-TE 2440cc Living Saloon LH100 1992
Registration date : 2016-02-02

PostSubject: Re: ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix   ECU  Engine Management Light Issues the fix - ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Its the original engine, I brought it in November 2005 and the model number is Q-LH100G-MRPGT and I've added a profile picture of my van. Similar to yours, but mine is the Japanese spec model and yours looks Euro spec?
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix   ECU  Engine Management Light Issues the fix - ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Yes that seems to be right, I can find your version in the partssystem now. (toyodiy.com)

Indeed, you have a complete Japanese spec Hi-ace that they did not deliver in the rest of the world. UK Super Custom is different, as well as my Euro LHD diesel.

For me it is good news, because it means my plan of fitting a turbo with exhaust manifold will fit.
My 2L engine is running perfectly and is in good condition. But it could use some extra power on highway or serious offroad driving.

If Toyota even choose to put an exhaust manifold there with the turbo on top, it must be an okay choice. I would probably go for parts (turbo, manifolds, oil lines and fuel pump) of a normal 2L-T.

Thanks for the info, it saves a lot of measuring Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix   ECU  Engine Management Light Issues the fix - ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ECU and Engine Management Light Issues and the fix
Page 1 of 1