Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wires to aircon fan getting hot.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 31
Home City : Cabangan, Philippines
Registration date : 2014-03-14

Wires to aircon fan getting hot. Empty
PostSubject: Wires to aircon fan getting hot.   Wires to aircon fan getting hot. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 8:45 am

The aircon fan wouldn't turn on yesterday, but came on by itself after driving a few K. Today it did the same thing and wouldn't turn on at all. When I got home, I started looking at wires under the dash and after moving a few, the fan came on. Tracing the wires I came to a fuse in a partially melted holder, that was bare of any plastic, but not burnt. This van has had some Filipina wiring work done to it, so you never know what has been cobbled up. I also noticed that when the fan is running the wires get hot, this can't be normal?
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Wires to aircon fan getting hot.   Wires to aircon fan getting hot. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 12:25 pm

So obviously there are way too many Amps going over those cables. That causes the wires to get hot and the connector to melt. These are the kinds of things that cause fires.

I can't really help you, other than the following more general tips:

- Check all fuses! Maybe they just replaced some fuses with a wire, allowing it to run high Ampere over the cables causing this problems. Please check the fuses and if they are of the value that they should be (or at least clause to it). So no 30A fuse in a socket that should have 7.5A

- If you know which cable it is that is getting hot, try to follow where it leads. Use the wiring diagrams. Perhaps it is (sometimes) making contact to ground.
You could measure resistance between that wire and ground (any metal part of the car body)
Back to top Go down
jagged1
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 31
Home City : Cabangan, Philippines
Registration date : 2014-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Wires to aircon fan getting hot.   Wires to aircon fan getting hot. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 3:06 pm

These vans are bought from Japan and converted to left hand drive. All the fuse boxes, relay boxes, etc., end up on the now passenger side floor, it's a mess. I realize that something is drawing too much current, but does the fan draw that much? It seems that the rear air also is tied in to this. They put the rear air fan on an unused dash switch, but it looks like it's all together, as far as power is concerned, so when you turn on the rear air, it's drawing too much power through the mickey mouse circuit. F'n crap!I brought a bunch of 12V headlight relays with me from my wreckers in Canada. Great place, help yourself and it cost a couple of bucks. I guess it's time for some Canadian ingenuity! I'll just switch the high current power through a relay and use proper size wire for the supply.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Wires to aircon fan getting hot.   Wires to aircon fan getting hot. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 8:56 pm

The A/C is all one, the dash switch for the rear turns on a fan that blows over the A/C and then cold air.
The wiring is correct gauge, I suspect the fan motor is getting tired and trying to draw too much power. I am surprised a fuse has not blown.
I replaced the fan on mine, easy enough with the bumper off. I used a normal rad fan, a bit over the top compared to the Toyota one but a few $ from a scrapper it was a no brainer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wires to aircon fan getting hot.   Wires to aircon fan getting hot. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wires to aircon fan getting hot.
Page 1 of 1