Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now
georgefreeways

Number of posts : 30
Home City : Bristol
Model and year : 1998 AM Craft Hiace Campervan 2.8 Auto
Registration date : 2016-03-14

Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie... Empty
PostSubject: Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie...   Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 8:35 am

Hello all,

Not Quite a super custom, but certainly a Hiace, so i thought id join up to speak to some like minded folk.

Have begun a transformation of my AM Craft Camper already despite only having it a forntnight.
Apart from shorting out an extractor fan whilst fitting a new switch (i'll try and rectify that in good time in the sparky section i hope)

Im nearly ready to begin carpeting after removing the MASSIVE fibreglass bathroom that was in the back.

Great to see so many other owners diggin the Hiace, mines been a long time coming and its great!

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie...   Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 9:51 am

Welcome, have fun with the Hi-ace!

Why do you want to change the camper interior?
Back to top Go down
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now
georgefreeways

PostSubject: Re: Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie...   Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 10:19 am

Hi there, I guess change is the wrong word! Perhaps "improve" would be better.
The interior is great already, but the back 1/4 was a full firbeglass wet room. Very big and bulky, and without a hot water heater it was never going to be luxurious.

With 4 of us travelling in the van (2 small children included in that) the space is now going to be much better used as a bigger kitchen and storage area.

I have re-panelled the space and added 12v / Usb  charging points above the wheel arch. Then i hope the work top will fold in half, allowing through access to the tailgate.

Much more practical. So far so good. Quite different to the DIY im used to, with all the mixing of wood AND electrics AND metal work, but I think it wiil be great eventually!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie...   Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Ok sounds nice. We are also travelling with two small children. I mean the second child is on it's way now Razz

I also want to change my camper which was already DIY. I also have a high roof, and I can make room for two sleeping beds. But then in the evenings you want to sit under the children beds, when the children sleep and it is to cold outside. That's the challenge. I have a plan for it, but I'm not sure if it is the most ideal.

How do you have the beds arranged? Maybe you could share some pictures?

By the way, you can get hot water through the cooling water when the engine runs. We are going to use a small boiler for that.
Back to top Go down
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now
georgefreeways

PostSubject: Re: Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie...   Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 12:39 pm

A Big old High top saves the Day!
So the two little ones go up there in a double and downstairs we have the converted bed to have a double also.
I have seen some hiaces with an full width bed down below which looks like it can be achieved with some extrac cusihons and a simple wooden support unit to the left of the sliding door....
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

PostSubject: Re: Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie...   Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 12:54 pm

georgefreeways wrote:
A Big old High top saves the Day!
So the two little ones go up there in a double and downstairs we have the converted bed to have a double also.
I have seen some hiaces with an full width bed down below which looks like it can be achieved with some extrac cusihons and a simple wooden support unit to the left of the sliding door....

Okay that sounds similar. We actually make a bed which 2 meter long by 1.50 meter wide.
Upstairs is smaller off course.

But then, how low are your benches / seating area under the beds? Because I want to make a comfortable seating position which enables me to sit there even though I'm quite tall.

I checked that I shouldn't make a square seating area with all 90 degrees corners, but that I should put it under an angle for more comfort. And so the lowest area of the seat is only like 25cm high, so I will fit under the beds.
Back to top Go down
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now
georgefreeways

PostSubject: Re: Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie...   Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Our lower beds are made from the travel seats where the children sit, so there is not a lot of headroom in the evening! But Thats why we have a 3 metre bell tent to go under our awning next to the van!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie...   Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello form a Hiace Bristol Newbie...
Page 1 of 1